Professional Web Applications Themes

reserving pseudo tty devices - Sun Solaris

All, I have an application that tunnels serial over TCP/IP using a daemon. It works by starting at boot-up (inittab) and grabbing one or more pseudo tty devices (based on what you tell it). You can download the daemon from http://www.stallion.com (look for svr_tty). For instance, I tell it : /dev/pts/4 <host_a> <port> /dev/pts/5 <host_b> <port> If the daemon starts by init when the box is coming up, the daemon is able to use the defined pttys and it works perfectly. However, if the machine is already up and running and the daemon either starts or restarts, I'm not always ...

  1. #1

    Default reserving pseudo tty devices

    All,

    I have an application that tunnels serial over TCP/IP using a daemon.
    It works by starting at boot-up (inittab) and grabbing one or more
    pseudo tty devices (based on what you tell it). You can download the
    daemon from http://www.stallion.com (look for svr_tty). For instance,
    I tell it :

    /dev/pts/4 <host_a> <port>
    /dev/pts/5 <host_b> <port>

    If the daemon starts by init when the box is coming up, the daemon is
    able to use the defined pttys and it works perfectly. However, if the
    machine is already up and running and the daemon either starts or
    restarts, I'm not always guaranteed to get the device. I get a
    message that says unable to open pty() or something to that affect.

    Is there a way to tell Solaris that some pttys are reserved for an
    application other than telnet/xterm/etc.?

    Thanks,

    - Rodger

    Rodger Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: reserving pseudo tty devices

    In article <com>,
    Rodger <rodger_at devfam _dot com> wrote:

    Instead of hard-coding the pty->host configuration, why not let the daemon
    grab any available pty's. It can then write the file that lists which pty
    it assigned to each host/port.

    --
    Barry Margolin, com
    Level(3), Woburn, MA

  3. #3

    Unless you know of a way to do that by addressing a device link, I
    don't think it will do it. It wants a device, as if it were a serial
    device. The application must write to "some" pseudo device that is
    picked up and forwarded by the daemon. If that were dynamically
    selected, the application would have to know which one the daemon
    picked.

    Thanks

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:01:57 GMT, Barry Margolin
    <com> wrote:

    >Instead of hard-coding the pty->host configuration, why not let the daemon
    >grab any available pty's. It can then write the file that lists which pty
    >it assigned to each host/port.[/ref]

    Rodger Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    Rodger <rodger_at devfam _dot com> wrote:

    I understand that. My proposal was that the application would read the
    file that the daemon wrote, to find out which device to use for a
    particular link.

    --
    Barry Margolin, com
    Level(3), Woburn, MA

  5. #5

    Rodger <rodger_at devfam _dot com> wrote:

    The daemon could be written to create a symlink to the picked device.
    Further, this link could be created/destroyed at times when the daemon
    begins/ends use of the pty. This would allow the application to always
    grab the correct device, and not some random one if the daemon has
    failed to load.

    It'd be nice, but I don't know if the daemon as written will do that.

    --
    Darren Dunham com
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company