Professional Web Applications Themes

Resizing images - Macromedia Freehand

Hi, Is it possible to specify a size of an image? Say I wanted three copies of the logo I did: The original size, one 2"x1", one at 1" x 1/2" and a 4" x 2". Is that possible? Thanks, -paul...

  1. #1

    Default Resizing images

    Hi,

    Is it possible to specify a size of an image? Say I wanted three copies of the logo I did: The original size, one 2"x1", one at 1" x 1/2" and a 4" x 2". Is that possible?

    Thanks,

    -paul
    mmpup Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Resizing images

    Resizing to target dimensions is less than intuitive in FH. In the Scale
    panel enter an equation:
    [new size]/[old size]*100

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Judy,

    Sorry, it's geting late, but what should I put in the [new size]/[old size]
    part of the equation? Inches, .... ? I guess it doesn't matter. Sorry!

    -paul

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    Resizing to target dimensions is less than intuitive in FH. In the Scale
    panel enter an equation:
    [new size]/[old size]*100

    Judy Arndt

    mmpup Guest

  4. #4

    mmpup wrote:

    If it's a bitmap or a group you can enter in the dimensions in the
    object panel. Problem is it's not proportional so you have to figure out
    the resized dimensions yourself or enter the formula in the fields in
    the object panel.
    Wes Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Wes.

    -paul
    mmpup Guest

  6. #6

    paul,

    [new size] = the size you want it to end up.

    [old size] = the size it is now.

    You can use the height in inches or the width in centemeters or any other
    combination of dimension and unit, as long as you use the same combination
    for both values. The equation generates a percentage in the scale panel.

    -Bill

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:35:24 +0000 (UTC), mmpup
    <com> wrote:

    > copies of
    > 4" x 2".

    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2500+/512M
    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    That easy Bill, eh? :-) I sometimes try to complicate things!

    It's all jagged now and fuzzy when I make it bigger. Wish I knew how to stop
    that. I've tried Freehand, Fireworks, and Paint Shop Pro. And I need them in
    either GIF or JPG. Same problem! Aargh!

    <com> wrote:

    > copies of
    > 4" x 2".

    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2500+/512M

    mmpup Guest

  8. #8

    paul,
    Are these imported raster images that you are trying to scale? Or perhaps
    vector objects with raster effects applied? Raster effects have been
    problematic for several reasons since they were introduced into freehand.

    If you are trying to scale a small raster image into a larger raster
    image, I'm afraid you're not going to have much luck without redrawing the
    whole thing. There are expensive third party plug-ins for photoshop that
    do pretty good (Genuine Fractals Print Pro for one), but nothing like
    having a clean, high-resolution original. If you are using raster effects
    (bevel, blur, dropshadow, for instance), be sure to have your raster
    effects settings, found under the File menu / Doent Settings, set to a
    sufficiently high resolution for output. Be warned, though, that a high
    raster resolution setting will slow down application performance.

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2500+/512M

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:01:59 +0000 (UTC), mmpup
    <com> wrote:

    > Sorry!
    > Scale
    > > copies of [/ref]
    >

    > --
    > Bill
    > FHMX/Win98/Athlon2500+/512M
    >

    >[/ref]

    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    Hi Bill,

    vector objects with raster effects applied? Raster effects have been
    problematic for several reasons since they were introduced into freehand.
    <

    I don't think so. I did not scan anything in. I used Freehand to create the
    logo.

    I think I know what it is. The printer touched up my logo and sent it back to
    me. I just tried to ungroup it to see if that would make a difference when
    transforming it. Well, I can't ungroup it, so something is up (I am new to
    this graphic stuff!). When I opened the FH11 file, FH also asked me to locate
    the EPS file.

    I just transformed the logo I sent to them (that they had to touch up) 200%
    and it looks great!

    image, I'm afraid you're not going to have much luck without redrawing the
    whole thing. There are expensive third party plug-ins for photoshop that
    do pretty good (Genuine Fractals Print Pro for one), but nothing like
    having a clean, high-resolution original. If you are using raster effects
    (bevel, blur, dropshadow, for instance), be sure to have your raster
    effects settings, found under the File menu / Doent Settings, set to a
    sufficiently high resolution for output. Be warned, though, that a high
    raster resolution setting will slow down application performance.
    <

    Thanks for that information!

    Thanks again,

    -paul

    mmpup Guest

  10. #10

    mmpup wrote:
    > vector objects with raster effects applied? Raster effects have been
    > problematic for several reasons since they were introduced into
    > freehand. <
    >
    > I don't think so. I did not scan anything in. I used Freehand to
    > create the logo.
    >
    > I think I know what it is. The printer touched up my logo and sent
    > it back to me. I just tried to ungroup it to see if that would make
    > a difference when transforming it. Well, I can't ungroup it, so
    > something is up (I am new to this graphic stuff!). When I opened the
    > FH11 file, FH also asked me to locate the EPS file.[/ref]

    That is odd. They sent you a FH11 file that had a link to an EPS file
    that they exported from the Freehand file you sent them?

    Did they make any other changes besides resizing it?
    Wes Guest

  11. #11

    Hi Wes,
     [/ref]
    that they exported from the Freehand file you sent them?
    <<

    I can't remember. Sorry.

    Yes, they fixed my ugly grass brush and prettied the brush up.

    Thanks,

    -paul

    mmpup Guest