Professional Web Applications Themes

Resizing Images for use in Illustrator - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi, This is a bit of a general question regarding the resizing of images - I am cropping several images in Photoshop that I wish to add to one Illustrator file. The source images have different resolutions/sizes, but the final cropped images in my Illustrator file will all need to be the same size. My question - Is it better to set all of the cropped images to the same size/resolution in Photoshop before placing in the Illustrator file, or is it OK to resize them once they have been placed in Illy? Or is there no difference? Thanks, Steven...

  1. #1

    Default Resizing Images for use in Illustrator

    Steven_Wild@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Resizing Images for use in Illustrator

    If you crop and resize in Photoshop you'll make a more compact Illustrator file and more efficient PostScript files when printing or making a PDF.

    If you crop and resize in Illustrator (using a rectangle as a mask), you'll have more versatile files, since you will be free to resize and recrop. You also won't need to save different versions of the images, making for easier file management and less wasted disk space. This is probably the better option.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks very much for your help.
    Steven_Wild@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    But....

    Will re-sizing in Photoshop not result in better image quality as Photoshop has better interpolation (or at least more choice - bicubic smoother if you up-rezzing, bicubic sharper if you're down-rezzing)? Or am I behind the times in this assumption?

    Also, if it's a photo which you're sharpening in PS the sharpening is best applied at the final size, rather than sharpening and then resizing.

    If image quality is important I would get them right (or as close to right as possible) in Photoshop first. If image quality is not as critical as flexibilty, I would do it in Illustrator.
    David_Biddlecombe@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    There might be a difference, there might not. And it's guessing to say which would result in a better image. The image isn't really resampled when printing, It's rendered at the resolution of hte output device as an extremely high resolution bitmap, with some form of dithering used to simulate shading. The image you rpint from Illustrator is pritned at it's output resolution, whatever that is. So, the higher, generally the better.

    But experiment if you wish. You'll need Lindsey Summers' right eye to see the difference, but it won;t be worth the effort and lack of flaexibility. Resampling in Photoshop will require you to keep the master as a separate file. If you later decide to increase the size of the image, what could be a simple scale in Illustrator will require re-inventing the wheel in Photoshop. Either you will do it and waste time, or you won't due to the inconvenience, and the work will suffer.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest