Professional Web Applications Themes

Resizing line drawing blurs lines and numbers. Help. - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi All: Am currently stuck on a project am working on. I have a client that has a bunch of gifs of engineers drawings of widgets. He does not have the original pics. He wants me to take these pics and put them into a paper catalog - a first for this webmaster. The problem is I will have to resize a number of them to fit into the format I am laying out. You can see what's happening as I attempt to resize these graphics at [url]www.bobspasteuppage.com[/url]. Each time I resize down, the lines become fuzzier and the numbers ...

  1. #1

    Default Resizing line drawing blurs lines and numbers. Help.

    Hi All:

    Am currently stuck on a project am working on. I have a client that has a
    bunch of gifs of engineers drawings of widgets. He does not have the
    original pics. He wants me to take these pics and put them into a paper
    catalog - a first for this webmaster. The problem is I will have to resize
    a number of them to fit into the format I am laying out. You can see what's
    happening as I attempt to resize these graphics at [url]www.bobspasteuppage.com[/url].
    Each time I resize down, the lines become fuzzier and the numbers and
    symbols become unreadable. Any ideas on what I can do? TIA!!!!

    Bob

    BG Guest

  2. #2

    Just out of curiousity.... When you say "a bunch of GIFs" ... how many are
    you talking about? Just looked at the sample page, and I was wondering
    something.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "BG" <bgnospaaambrightnospaaam.net> wrote in message
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Am currently stuck on a project am working on. I have a client that has a
    > bunch of gifs of engineers drawings of widgets. He does not have the
    > original pics. He wants me to take these pics and put them into a paper
    > catalog - a first for this webmaster. The problem is I will have to
    resize
    > a number of them to fit into the format I am laying out. You can see
    what's
    > happening as I attempt to resize these graphics at
    [url]www.bobspasteuppage.com[/url].
    > Each time I resize down, the lines become fuzzier and the numbers and
    > symbols become unreadable. Any ideas on what I can do? TIA!!!!
    >
    > Bob

    Sam Poikail Guest

  3. #3

    BG;
    Gif format is not designed for print, but you didn't provide information
    on the print requirements. If you are able to use the images you probably
    will need to convert them to a more suitable format such as tiff, and once
    you raise the resolution the images may be OK (or too small). If the images
    are all line drawings as with your sample, and the budget allows, you might
    consider converting them to vector graphics. If you have the studio,
    Freehand's trace tool may prove helpful.
    -Tom Unger

    Tom Unger Guest

  4. #4

    "Sam Poikail" <indigo_wolfhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > That just the nature of GIFs being raster/bitmaps images. When you reduce
    > it, it has to dump pixels, and at some point it's going to be
    unacceptable.

    > There's no way to get the original DXF files, at all? (I am assuming they
    > originally came out of a CAD program)
    >
    > If the answer is no, about the best you are going to be able to do is
    > display the smaller files as thumbnails and display the full size images
    > upon request either in a new page or on the same page within a layer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sam
    >
    > "BG" <bgnospaaambrightnospaaam.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi All:
    > >
    > > Am currently stuck on a project am working on. I have a client that has
    > > bunch of gifs of engineers drawings of widgets. He does not have the
    > > original pics. He wants me to take these pics and put them into a paper
    > > catalog - a first for this webmaster. The problem is I will have to
    > resize
    > > a number of them to fit into the format I am laying out. You can see
    > what's
    > > happening as I attempt to resize these graphics at
    > [url]www.bobspasteuppage.com[/url].
    > > Each time I resize down, the lines become fuzzier and the numbers and
    > > symbols become unreadable. Any ideas on what I can do? TIA!!!!
    > >
    > > Bob
    Hi Sam:

    First off, there's no way to get the originals. Secondly, it will be in
    print format, so thumbnails isn't an option. Thanks for your suggestions.

    Bob

    BG Guest

  5. #5

    There's probably about 25 total.

    > Just out of curiousity.... When you say "a bunch of GIFs" ... how many are
    > you talking about? Just looked at the sample page, and I was wondering
    > something.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sam
    >
    > "BG" <bgnospaaambrightnospaaam.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi All:
    > >
    > > Am currently stuck on a project am working on. I have a client that has
    > > bunch of gifs of engineers drawings of widgets. He does not have the
    > > original pics. He wants me to take these pics and put them into a paper
    > > catalog - a first for this webmaster. The problem is I will have to
    > resize
    > > a number of them to fit into the format I am laying out. You can see
    > what's
    > > happening as I attempt to resize these graphics at
    > [url]www.bobspasteuppage.com[/url].
    > > Each time I resize down, the lines become fuzzier and the numbers and
    > > symbols become unreadable. Any ideas on what I can do? TIA!!!!
    > >
    > > Bob

    BG Guest

  6. #6

    "Tom Unger" <tjungerentakeoutter.net> wrote in message
    > BG;
    > Gif format is not designed for print, but you didn't provide
    information
    > on the print requirements. If you are able to use the images you probably
    > will need to convert them to a more suitable format such as tiff, and once
    > you raise the resolution the images may be OK (or too small). If the
    images
    > are all line drawings as with your sample, and the budget allows, you
    might
    > consider converting them to vector graphics. If you have the studio,
    > Freehand's trace tool may prove helpful.
    > -Tom Unger

    Hi Tom:

    I just tried the trace tool and it didn't do very well on those graphics.
    Also tried the conversion to tiff and bumped up resolution to no avail. I
    went ahead and sent an email to the manufacturer in Amsterdam requesting the
    original dxf files or a paper catalog. I doubt they will respond, so I will
    probably have to go through and redraw everything using the pen tool if I
    want these graphics to look right when they are resized - big bummer.
    Thanks for your help anyway!!

    Bob

    BG Guest

  7. #7

    Bob--

    I've had pretty good success using the Trace tool for line drawings like
    that. The key is to set the trace properties correctly.

    Double click the trace tool to bring up the Trace properties dialog.

    Set the Color mode to 2, the colors to Grays, Path conversion to Outline,
    Path overlap to tight and Trace conformity to tight. Once the trace is done
    copy the vectors and paste into a new doent.

    In testing your image I was able to get the line drawing reproduced very
    well. The numbers didn't look quite as good, but that should still save you
    a lot of work.

    Kim

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh, author
    Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks

    > "Tom Unger" <tjungerentakeoutter.net> wrote in message
    > > BG;
    > > Gif format is not designed for print, but you didn't provide
    > information
    > > on the print requirements. If you are able to use the images you
    probably
    > > will need to convert them to a more suitable format such as tiff, and
    once
    > > you raise the resolution the images may be OK (or too small). If the
    > images
    > > are all line drawings as with your sample, and the budget allows, you
    > might
    > > consider converting them to vector graphics. If you have the studio,
    > > Freehand's trace tool may prove helpful.
    > > -Tom Unger
    > >

    > Hi Tom:
    >
    > I just tried the trace tool and it didn't do very well on those graphics.
    > Also tried the conversion to tiff and bumped up resolution to no avail. I
    > went ahead and sent an email to the manufacturer in Amsterdam requesting
    the
    > original dxf files or a paper catalog. I doubt they will respond, so I
    will
    > probably have to go through and redraw everything using the pen tool if I
    > want these graphics to look right when they are resized - big bummer.
    > Thanks for your help anyway!!
    >
    > Bob

    Kim Cavanaugh Guest

  8. #8

    "BG" <bgnospaaambrightnospaaam.net> wrote in message
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Am currently stuck on a project am working on. I have a client that has a
    > bunch of gifs of engineers drawings of widgets. He does not have the
    > original pics. He wants me to take these pics and put them into a paper
    > catalog - a first for this webmaster. The problem is I will have to
    resize
    > a number of them to fit into the format I am laying out. You can see
    what's
    > happening as I attempt to resize these graphics at
    [url]www.bobspasteuppage.com[/url].
    > Each time I resize down, the lines become fuzzier and the numbers and
    > symbols become unreadable. Any ideas on what I can do? TIA!!!!
    >
    > Bob
    I must admit I don't quite understand you. You're talking about *paper* yet
    give us the web-based example. If you're talking about the *paper*, then you
    don't actually have to *resize down* - that is, you don't have to have the
    images with lesser size *in pixels*. You better just set the corresponding
    resolution, that's all. In fact, you may need *increasing* pixel count
    (i.e., rescale image "up" in pixels) yet increase resolution (decreasing
    image size in inches); in such a case, it is recommended to apply some
    sharpening in the process. Anyway, if you're talking about "paper" output,
    don't be referring to "screen" output under screen resolution.

    And if you're going to reduce image size, in pixels, yet keep the text and
    stuff readable *on screen*, there's a trick: do not resize the image in one
    step. Resize it in several smaller steps, applying some Unsharp Masking
    between them.

    Hope this helped. Otherwise, please explain the problem more carefully
    because I don't really get it.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    [url]http://photoshop.msk.ru/[/url] - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "Hmmm... as general rule, corpses aren't too much fun" - Umgah,
    Star Control II

    Ilya Razmanov Guest

  9. #9

    Hi Kim:

    Wow!! That was precisely what I needed and I never would have figured it
    out on my own. Much gratitude and good wishes sent your way. Hope you have
    an awesome day.

    Bob

    BG Guest

  10. #10

    You're most welcome. You just lucked out and happened to catch me when I'd
    spent some time doing the same thing myself, and spending a fair amount of
    time messing with the trace tool.

    --
    > Hi Kim:
    >
    > Wow!! That was precisely what I needed and I never would have figured it
    > out on my own. Much gratitude and good wishes sent your way. Hope you
    have
    > an awesome day.
    >
    > Bob
    > "Kim Cavanaugh" <REMOVEkimdw-fw-beginners.com> wrote in message
    > > Bob--
    > >
    > > I've had pretty good success using the Trace tool for line drawings like
    > > that. The key is to set the trace properties correctly.
    > >
    > > Double click the trace tool to bring up the Trace properties dialog.
    > >
    > > Set the Color mode to 2, the colors to Grays, Path conversion to
    Outline,
    > > Path overlap to tight and Trace conformity to tight. Once the trace is
    > done
    > > copy the vectors and paste into a new doent.
    > >
    > > In testing your image I was able to get the line drawing reproduced very
    > > well. The numbers didn't look quite as good, but that should still save
    > you
    > > a lot of work.
    > >
    > > Kim
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kim Cavanaugh, author
    > > Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks
    > > [url]http://www.dw-fw-beginners.com[/url]
    > > ------------
    > > Extending Knowledge Daily at:
    > > [url]http://www.communitymx.com[/url]
    > > ------------
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Fireworks
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team[/url]
    > > "BG" <bgnospaaambrightnospaaam.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Tom Unger" <tjungerentakeoutter.net> wrote in message
    > > > information
    > > probably
    > > once
    > > > images
    > > > might
    > > > >

    > > > Hi Tom:
    > > >
    > > > I just tried the trace tool and it didn't do very well on those
    > graphics.
    > > > Also tried the conversion to tiff and bumped up resolution to no
    avail.
    > > > went ahead and sent an email to the manufacturer in Amsterdam
    requesting
    > > the
    > > > original dxf files or a paper catalog. I doubt they will respond, so
    > > will
    > > > probably have to go through and redraw everything using the pen tool
    if
    > > > want these graphics to look right when they are resized - big bummer.
    > > > Thanks for your help anyway!!
    > > >
    > > > Bob

    Kim Cavanaugh Guest

  11. #11

    BG;
    I'm glad that Kim was able to help you with the trace tool settings
    (that is probably the route I would have taken). The resulting auto-traces
    can be tweaked by hand, and the text replaced with live text. If not
    rasterized elsewhere in the workflow, the resulting vector graphics will
    print at the maximum resolution of the output device and so will look very
    "clean" in print. -Tom Unger

    Tom Unger Guest