Professional Web Applications Themes

RESIZING PHOTOS FOR A PANORAMA - Adobe Photoshop Elements

We have to photograph a row of buildings approx 150m long. Obviously this could not be done in one shot. We have taken four pictures, one every 25m, using a tripod but of course it is impossible to guarantee the camera will be the same distance from the buildings every time which means it is not possible to merge them 100 percent correctly. Is there any way of re-sizing pics so they all end up exactly the same size, or better still a way of doing it so elements will do this automatically!!! We have produced one picture with the ...

  1. #1

    Default RESIZING PHOTOS FOR A PANORAMA

    We have to photograph a row of buildings approx 150m long. Obviously this could not be done in one shot. We have taken four pictures, one every 25m, using a tripod but of course it is impossible to guarantee the camera will be the same distance from the buildings every time which means it is not possible to merge them 100 percent correctly. Is there any way of re-sizing pics so they all end up exactly the same size, or better still a way of doing it so elements will do this automatically!!! We have produced one picture with the camera set up in the middle of the row of buildings but this is not what the client wants. The tapered ends are not acceptable. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.
    Ray Smith, Spain.
    raymond_c_smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RESIZING PHOTOS FOR A PANORAMA

    Have you tried doing this manually or by using Elements Photomerge? If you haven't tried Photomerge, see if it will work. I've used it several times and its done a credible job, although it's hard to gauge just how much resizing is needed for your project.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    >The tapered ends are not acceptable. > Ray Smith, Spain.

    Yeah, anytime you have to angle the camera up, the top sides look like they
    are collapsing in. Even the lens' designed to help correct this have some
    of this effect.

    Try using the tools under "Image/Transform" to correct excessive distortions
    first before using the photomerge. Distort is probably best because
    perspective does not allow for stretching the height if needed.

    Pete

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks both but don't think you've got the right end of the stick. One photo was taken a little bit nearer to the subject than the rest, so I need to 'zoom back' a bit on one pic before I use elements photomerge or the pics won't line up correctly.
    raymond_c_smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    OK, I do understand now and went through something similar a week or so ago when I had scanned sections of two maps and wanted to create a single image file.

    I never found an automated way, but the method I used wasn't hard and will probably do what you want. I opened the two images and first made sure they were the same resolution. I also made sure they were both being viewed at the same level of magnification and then placed side by side. One was fine in terms of physical size, but the second one was too big. I selected the one that was too big, chose the Move Tool, did a Control A to select the entire image, and then used the Move tool from the lower left corner to scale the image down until it matched the size of the first one. In my case, both maps had grids denoting Sections, so I used the lines for my match. You should be able to find a chunk of building to use as your guide.

    Once the size matched, I created a new larger canvas and slide both into place. If you're working with more than two images, you'll have to do this in segments.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Beth. Will try and let you know how I get on.
    Ray.
    raymond_c_smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Come back!! I forgot to tell you to hold down the Shift key as you're using the Move tool to change the size. Doing that will constrain the proportions of the image. Ooops. :) Sorry, I hope that didn't throw you off too much.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest