Professional Web Applications Themes

resizing placed raster images - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I recently created a bunch of maps for a letter-size publication. Most are illustrator CS2 files containing a placed PSD raster image on one layer. The client would like 30 x 36 inch posters of these maps. Can I simply scale up the .ai files, including the layer with the placed raster image, or should I go back into Photoshop and resize there first? There are 14 of these maps, so doing the latter will take much more time. I realize of course that upscaling the size in either AI or PS will drop the resolution (these people handling the ...

  1. #1

    Default resizing placed raster images

    I recently created a bunch of maps for a letter-size publication. Most are illustrator CS2 files containing a placed PSD raster image on one layer.

    The client would like 30 x 36 inch posters of these maps. Can I simply scale up the .ai files, including the layer with the placed raster image, or should I go back into Photoshop and resize there first? There are 14 of these maps, so doing the latter will take much more time.

    I realize of course that upscaling the size in either AI or PS will drop the resolution (these people handling the poster printing say 150 ppi is fine, even 100 works fine--the original raster images are all at 300 ppi at letter size). But I'm wondering if it's the same difference if the scaling happens in Illustrator versus Photoshop. I'm thinking it's going to produce the same end result, but just wanted to confirm with some experts.

    Thanks
    Ed_Geis@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: resizing placed raster images

    I don't know about upscaling in AICS2, probably would be better to do
    it in PS... handles that better.

    Fiasko Guest

  3. #3

    Hmmmm. . .either that's a really dumb question or I've been blacklisted.

    Anybody?
    Ed_Geis@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Scaling in Photoshop will result in resampling, which is often slightly better than just printing larger pixels. The difference, exagerated of course, would be like looking at something made of marshmallows (resampled in Photoshop) or Duplo blocks (scaled in Illustrator).

    Generally I suggest working at actual size in Illustrator. Of course, either method you inquire about is compatible with that. If the raster images can be rescanned to a higher resolution, I suggest that. If not, then I'd probably resample in Illustrator using Bicubic Smoother, then add some Filter > Noise > Median to soften the pixelation appearance. But that's without knowing the nature of the original raster art.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for your reply. I guess I wasn't clear in my original post--the idea isn't to resample anythigng, just to scale the dimensions while allowing the resolution to drop accordingly. The question is whether it makes any difference if I do this in PS or AI.I
    Ed_Geis@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    If up are not planning on doing any upsampling in PS, it shouldn't matter which way you do it. The pixel data is there regardless. I don't think it matters if you use Illustrator or Photoshop to "spread out" the pixels.

    Illustratr's control pallete is really useful for checking your PPI.
    Emma_J@adobeforums.com Guest