Professional Web Applications Themes

Resizing the Bounding Box (text and imported graphics) - Adobe Illustrator Windows

The selection tool always scales the selection (text or imported graphic) rather than wrapping the text or resizing the bounding box. I want to leave the size alone and 'crop' or 'wrap' using the bounding box but cannot do it; for instance, the below action from "HELP" does not work. The Help says: -Resizing a type area -When working with an area type object, you can change its size and shape at any time. For example, you can enlarge the type area to display overflow text. -To resize a type area: -To one of the following: Select the type object ...

  1. #1

    Default Resizing the Bounding Box (text and imported graphics)

    The selection tool always scales the selection (text or imported graphic) rather than wrapping the text or resizing the bounding box.

    I want to leave the size alone and 'crop' or 'wrap' using the bounding box but cannot do it; for instance, the below action from "HELP" does not work.

    The Help says:
    -Resizing a type area
    -When working with an area type object, you can change its size and shape at any time. For example, you can enlarge the type area to display overflow text.
    -To resize a type area:
    -To one of the following:
    Select the type object using the Selection tool or Layers palette, and drag a handle on the bounding box. (See Scaling with an object's bounding box.)

    Have I missed a preferences setting, is there an update, is this impossible on Illustrator?

    Second question (related to the above): Is there an easy 'Crop' tool or method on Illustrator? (fixing the above would answer this)

    Illustrator CS on Win2000 box

    Thanks for you help, David
    David_Van_Horn@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    David,

    I'm on IL 10, so what I tell you might not apply.

    First make sure you have bounding boxes turned on. (View | Show Bounding Box or keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+B in IL 10.)

    Grabbing the handles of the bounding box with a selection tool will allow resizing, of course. If the object is a text container, the font should remain the same and the text should merely reflow within the container.

    If you want to scale or stretch the type, use the free transform tool (keyboard shortcut 'E').

    In both cases, holding down the shift key as you drag a corner handle will constrain proportion.

    With regard to cropping, if you're talking about cropping the artwork for selective output, look at crop marks. If you're talking about "cropping" individual objects, such as images, look at clipping masks.

    If IL 11 works differently, I apologize.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    When you select an object with Selecting tool, there will be a toolbat below the Menu bar. Just select the button says "Edit Clipping path" if you don't want to transform the content inside the bounding box.
    Regards.
    Unregistered Guest