Professional Web Applications Themes

Resolution sizes - Macromedia Dreamweaver

While designing a website, [url]http://www.oetectrading.com.au[/url] I found that at different resolutions, it looks different. is there anything I can do to solve this problem, the graphic shifts to the right, and does not fill the screen. I put it in a table and set the table to use 100% of the screen, but this does not seem to work. Please help... Bill...

  1. #1

    Default Resolution sizes

    While designing a website, [url]http://www.oetectrading.com.au[/url]
    I found that at different resolutions, it looks different.
    is there anything I can do to solve this problem, the graphic shifts to the
    right, and does not fill the screen.
    I put it in a table and set the table to use 100% of the screen, but this
    does not seem to work. Please help...

    Bill

    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re:Resolution sizes

    Hi Bill

    I had a quick look at the site and see that you are using layers to set the site out. Given that it is a pretty simple site with a lot of solid colour around the edges I'd use tables instead.

    The site could easily be centred in a table about 745/750 px wide which means for most users other than those few using 640 x 480 there will be no need for horizontal scrolling. The image you want can then be used as a background image in a central table cell with the text as content in the same cell.

    Worth a go and you avoid the problems of older browsers not understanding Layers.

    John

    Jack Harry Bill webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Bill wrote:
    >While designing a website, [url]http://www.oetectrading.com.au[/url]
    >I found that at different resolutions, it looks different.
    You've just discovered one of the best (and mostly underestimated)
    features of HTML. Congratulations.
    >is there anything I can do to solve this problem, the graphic shifts to the
    >right, and does not fill the screen.
    And it never will. You don't know your visitors screen resolution and
    size of the browser window. So the graphic will always be either too
    small or too big to fit the window. But who cares?

    Just choose the same background color for the graphic and the page so
    that there are no visible borders and it will be fine (IMHO).

    Micha
    Michael Fesser Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Re:Resolution sizes

    John:
    > Worth a go and you avoid the problems of older browsers not understanding
    Layers.

    This is really a non-issue. All v4+ browsers understand how to position and
    show/hide <div> tags. If you are concerned about v3 browsers, then you will
    have to do much more than avoid the use of layers, so your comment is really
    just urban legend in my book.

    Bill:

    Before you do anything to your page, go to these sites and read -

    [url]http://www.thepattysite.com/window_sizes1.cfm[/url]
    and the DW FAQ link in my sig (look for the table tutorials)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Jack Harry Bill" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Bill
    >
    > I had a quick look at the site and see that you are using layers to set
    the site out. Given that it is a pretty simple site with a lot of solid
    colour around the edges I'd use tables instead.

    > The site could easily be centred in a table about 745/750 px wide which
    means for most users other than those few using 640 x 480 there will be no
    need for horizontal scrolling. The image you want can then be used as a
    background image in a central table cell with the text as content in the
    same cell.

    > Worth a go and you avoid the problems of older browsers not understanding
    Layers.

    > John

    Murray *TMM* Guest