Professional Web Applications Themes

Resolution to Scan Slides? - Photography

Always scan at maximum optical resolution (2400 ppi in the case of the Epson 2400/2450 scanners). This gives you the most flexibility in post processing, including sharpening, downsampling, etc work. The biggest advantage in doing the processing after the fact is that you can un-do operations that reduce quality, where if you allow the scan process to do the work, you're basically stuck with the image presented by the scan as a baseline unless you re-scan it. There is no fully automated way of ensuring best quality scans to date. Many of the best looking photos on film require a ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Resolution to Scan Slides?

    Always scan at maximum optical resolution (2400 ppi in the case of the
    Epson 2400/2450 scanners). This gives you the most flexibility in post
    processing, including sharpening, downsampling, etc work.

    The biggest advantage in doing the processing after the fact is that
    you can un-do operations that reduce quality, where if you allow the
    scan process to do the work, you're basically stuck with the image
    presented by the scan as a baseline unless you re-scan it.

    There is no fully automated way of ensuring best quality scans to date.
    Many of the best looking photos on film require a lot of adjustment and
    handcraft to achieve their best appearance in the digital domain.

    Check out <http://www.scantips.com> for lots more hints and info on
    scanning.

    Godfrey

    In article <bfp1a0$bte$chatlink.com>, Wildey Johnson

    Godfrey Guest

  2. #2

    "Wildey Johnson" <net> wrote in message
    output
    scanner?
    an
    I too have just bought the Epson 2400 and have tried scanning slides at the
    maximum optical resolution of 2400 and saving as a tif, correcting the
    images with Elements 2 then saving as a psd prior to printing. I have been
    told to scan only with the scanner and leave image editing to (Photoshop)
    Elements 2. The results are quite reasonable when printed at 8 x 10 on good
    photo paper. For screen viewing only I would still scan at maximum optical
    resolution then resample down to 72ppi with pixel dimensions to suit my
    screen res of 1024 which would be around a 1000 wide.
    HTH

    BusyBee Guest

  3. #3

    I just scanned a 35mm slide 300dpi and printed to 5" x 8" image, and
    looking at it you wouldn't know it was from a slide. there is no
    pixellation, degredation or whatever else.

    granted when I scanned, I changed the output dimensions to 10" x 15"
    300dpi (and ended up with a file size of 40mb)

    I scan with an Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner.

    But, I'll probably just change the resolution also later on, when i'm
    printing seriously.*ugh* thats gonna be a slow process...

    "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <com> wrote in message
    news:240720031000036354%com... [/ref]
    pixel [/ref]
    of [/ref]
    output [/ref]
    for [/ref]
    scanner? [/ref]
    2? [/ref]
    an [/ref]

    Lisa Guest

  4. #4

    been

    actually I was. Every person has different methods, and I was trained to
    enlarge when scanning, and not afterward, thus decreasing the chance of
    image degredation when enlarging. Coming from a printing background, where
    we were enlarging upwards of 30"x20" posters, this is the method I was
    trained to do, and my settings rarely change.

    granted, as I said, that this particular scan was a test to see the output
    on a Epson Stylus Photo 1280 8x10 as a first photo print, I'm not seeing
    any issues with scanning at 300dpi. I've had photos scanned at 240dpi and
    printed to 8x10 without any issues also.

    each to his own I suppose. I just find it pointless having 100mb + image
    files when one has over 1000 slides to scan.

    -- L

    Lisa Guest

  5. #5

    In <allthesites.org> on Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:06:48 -0400,
    "Lisa Duskis" <net.au> wrote:

    >actually I was.[/ref]

    Doubtful.

    Meaning that the scanner was probably running at higher resolution. 300 dpi
    on a 24 mm x 36 mm frame would be a capture at 283 x 425 pixels. Printed at 5
    x 8, that would be real resolution of 56 dots per inch, which would definitely
    be very noticeable.

    You're almost certainly not scanning at 300 dpi, much less 240 dpi. That's
    your target printing resolution, not your actual scanning resolution.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

  6. #6

    >Wildey Johnson writes:

    >[/ref]

    If your scanner has ICE, it will do an excellent job of cleaning the slide and
    removing dust, and other spots better than you can in an image editor.
    Rosita

    HRosita Guest