Professional Web Applications Themes

resolv.conf - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. Can someone tell me exactly what belongs in /etc/resolv.conf if you are using dhcp to set the IP address and the DNS? -- Stephen com Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge. Printed using 100% recycled electrons. -----------------------------------------------------------...

  1. #1

    Default resolv.conf

    --
    Stephen
    com

    Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge.

    Printed using 100% recycled electrons.
    Stephen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: resolv.conf

    On Sun, 8 Dec 2003, Davide Bianchi wrote:

    > If you use DHCP, resolv.conf should be rewritten everytime by
    > dhcpcd. So, it does't matter what's in it in the beginning.
    >[/ref]

    The reason I asked is that I am unable to get online, and even
    though I posted the problem details, no one has been able to help
    in resolving the problem. I then noticed that resolv.conf was
    empty, so out of sheer desperation I thought I might try filling
    it in with whatever belongs there. I do not know what else I can
    do to get my system going.

  3. #3

    Stephen Speicher <com> wrote:

    If you use DHCP, resolv.conf should be rewritten everytime by
    dhcpcd. So, it does't matter what's in it in the beginning.

    Davide
    Davide Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    osmoma Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    Stephen Speicher <com> wrote:

    resolv.conf should contains the IP of your nameservers and
    (eventually) a line like 'order hosts,bind' to force your system
    to look in the /etc/hosts file _before_ asking the dns.

    Something like

    order hosts,bind
    nameserver ip.of.nameserver.1
    nameserver ip.of.nameserver.2
    nameserver ip.of.nameserver.3

    If you know the IPs you should be able to fill in for yourself.

    Davide
    Davide Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:58:00 -0800, Stephen Speicher <com> wrote:

    .... here's a sample:

    mtoblerstimpy:~> cat /etc/resolv.conf
    ### BEGIN INFO
    #
    # Modified_by: dhcpcd
    # Backup: /etc/resolv.conf.saved.by.dhcpcd
    # Process: dhcpcd
    # Process_id: 957
    # Script: /sbin/modify_resolvconf
    # Saveto:
    # Info: This is a temporary resolv.conf created by service dhcpcd.
    # The previous file has been saved and will be restored later.
    #
    # If you don't like your resolv.conf to be changed, you
    # can set MODIFY_{RESOLV,NAMED}_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no. This
    # variables are placed in /etc/sysconfig/network/config.
    #
    # You can also configure service dhcpcd not to modify it.
    #
    # If you don't like dhcpcd to change your nameserver
    # settings
    # then either set DHCLIENT_MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF=no
    # in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp, or
    # set MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no in
    # /etc/sysconfig/network/config or (manually) use dhcpcd
    # with -R. If you only want to keep your searchlist, set
    # DHCLIENT_KEEP_SEARCHLIST=yes in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp or
    # (manually) use the -K option.
    #
    ### END INFO
    search Earthlink.net
    nameserver 192.168.0.1

    How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom
    door you're on.
    mjt Guest

  7. #7

    Bartman <com> writes:

    ]Stephen Speicher wrote:

    ]> On Sun, 8 Dec 2003, Davide Bianchi wrote:
    ]>
    ]>> Stephen Speicher <com> wrote:
    ]>> > exactly what belongs in /etc/resolv.conf if you are using dhcp to
    ]>> > set the IP address and the DNS?
    ]>>
    ]>> If you use DHCP, resolv.conf should be rewritten everytime by
    ]>> dhcpcd. So, it does't matter what's in it in the beginning.
    ]>>
    ]>
    ]> The reason I asked is that I am unable to get online, and even
    ]> though I posted the problem details, no one has been able to help
    ]> in resolving the problem. I then noticed that resolv.conf was
    ]> empty, so out of sheer desperation I thought I might try filling
    ]> it in with whatever belongs there. I do not know what else I can
    ]> do to get my system going.
    ]>

    ]If you are having problems getting online, try this -

    ]http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    ]If this doesn't get you online, nothing will... and it explains your
    ]resolv.conf issues in detail (along with everything else ppp related).

    I am admitedly biased but this would be good advice if you were running
    ppp. HOwever this page does not handle dhcp.

    dhcp SHOULD set the resolv.conf file for you, but if it does not, put in
    the line
    nameserver 111.222.333.444
    where that number should be replaced by the nameserver (DNS SERVER) of
    your ISP. You should also try pinging that number to see if it is
    accessible. Are you sure that dhcp is coming up at all?

    Bill Guest

  8. #8

    Stephen Speicher wrote:

    >> If you use DHCP, resolv.conf should be rewritten everytime by
    >> dhcpcd. So, it does't matter what's in it in the beginning.
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > The reason I asked is that I am unable to get online, and even
    > though I posted the problem details, no one has been able to help
    > in resolving the problem. I then noticed that resolv.conf was
    > empty, so out of sheer desperation I thought I might try filling
    > it in with whatever belongs there. I do not know what else I can
    > do to get my system going.
    >[/ref]

    If you are having problems getting online, try this -

    http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    If this doesn't get you online, nothing will... and it explains your
    resolv.conf issues in detail (along with everything else ppp related).

    Bartman
    Bartman Guest

  9. #9

    On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Bill Unruh wrote:

    No, dhcp is not interfacing properly with the cablemodem ISP dhcp
    server. (At least, that is what Red Hat phone service now tells
    me. They are working on it.)

    But ... I must ask ... Is this THE Bill Unruh?

    If so, how ironic to meet you on some linux group when I missed
    you for years on sci.physics.research and the relativity group.
    I have enjoyed your many papers over the years. In fact, last
    night I was just reading your "Varieties of Quantum Measurement"
    in the book edited by Healey and Hellman. I was pleasantly
    surprised to find your article in that little book.

    Anyway, thanks for your many enjoyable writings. Even those with
    which I may disagree always have a unique and interesting
    perspective.

    p.s. If you are NOT the Bill Unruh from gravitational and quantum
    theory, then please just ignore what I wrote.