Professional Web Applications Themes

"Resolving" LocalHost ?? - ASP.NET General

What is going on here... I have my site running locally on my machine, and when I don't have an internet connection (like when Im on the train) I get this error when I try to open an asp.net project: "The web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open the web project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost'. The server name or address could not be resolved." What the heck is this? pinging localhost returns 127.0.0.1 just like it should browing to localhost brings up the site just fine! Anyone have any ideas? On a side ...

  1. #1

    Default "Resolving" LocalHost ??

    What is going on here...

    I have my site running locally on my machine, and when I don't have an
    internet connection (like when Im on the train) I get this error when
    I try to open an asp.net project:

    "The web server reported the following error when attempting to create
    or open the web project located at the following URL:
    'http://localhost'. The server name or address could not be
    resolved."

    What the heck is this?
    pinging localhost returns 127.0.0.1 just like it should
    browing to localhost brings up the site just fine!

    Anyone have any ideas?

    On a side note, why is working with ASP.NET projects such a giant
    pain?!? I'm not even talking about this issue, but just the fact that
    you can't just open a project and edit some files, it has to contact
    the server. Half the time when setting up a project on someone elses
    computer we get the error saying that you need to specify a path and
    it offes http:/project_1 or whatever. Sometimes you get the error
    that "a project already exists" or whatever... its so frustrating to
    have the hardest thing about writing an site be getting the IDE to
    load up the project.

    Maybe there is a good reason for this, but if I have a site locally
    and the vbproj file is at the root, why does it need to contact a
    webserver before it lets me edit any files, or add new files to the
    project?

    I could write a book on how much of a pain VSS is too. One of my
    coworkers can not check out anything from the IDE, even though he
    installed VSS along with VS.NET 2003 EA (both off the same set of
    CDs). Checking out from VSS works just fine, but not within the VS
    IDE. Argh...

    Ok, rant over. Felt good. :)

    Anyone have an idea bout the localhost issue, that is the one I am
    focusing on.
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: "Resolving" LocalHost ??

    When you are normally wired in, do you have any proxy settings in your
    browser? If so - you need to disable that for offline access...

    As far as the ASP stuff - there is no perfect solution... this method allows
    no versioning problems, but you have to connect... with old-style, you can
    do anything, but then you run into versioning problems.. there is no perfect
    answer..

    "Chris" <com> wrote in message

    Drebin Guest

  3. #3

    I use a work around as far as having to open the whole app and project is
    concerned. It goes like this...I have about a half a dozen aspx pages that
    require frequent updates. So rather than go through the whole iis bit i have
    made 6 shortcuts to the files. These shortcuts remain on my desktop.
    Whenever I need to make just a quick update I double click the shortcut,
    VS.Net opens right up and only the file associated with the shortcut is
    there ready for editing.....IIS is never started and the project is never
    opened...just the aspx file. I then save it and use FTP to transfer the new
    version to the Live Server. Hasn't failed me yet! Of course this may not be
    effective in all instances but it works great for me in about 70% of my
    editing situations.

    "Drebin" <com> wrote in message
    allows
    perfect

    >[/ref]

    Jason Guest

  4. #4

    Drebin,

    No proxy here, I have a direct connection both at work and home.

    I deleted and recreated the solution file (blank solution) and this
    morning I was able to edit the local stuff on the train.. go figure.

    I understand that no solution is perfect, but you have to admit, that
    for someone like me that followed MSs suggested setup for VSS and
    ASP.NET projects (isolated development mode) it's kinda stupid that I
    can have all the project and source files on my local machine, but
    can't build or edit the project unless it can connect to IIS. The
    connection to IIS is totally necessary if it were running on another
    computer, but seeing as how it is only on my local machine, it seems
    kinda silly to have to go through IIS to get back to the same folder
    as the vbproj file is already in.

    Chris Guest

  5. #5

    Jason,

    This is true, and in fact I might try something like it.

    However, if you change the codebehind page, then you need to rebuild
    the project. Maybe there is a command line method for doing this
    because if you can't open the project in the IDE you can't tell it to
    build.

    "Jason \(MFT1\)" <pls> wrote in message news:<phx.gbl>...
    > allows
    > perfect
    > >
    > >[/ref][/ref]
    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    Well as previously stated in here...you Don't as long as you edit the FILES
    and not the project. You don't need to have the project open to edit the
    pages....for that matter you don't need VS.Net to do your editing. However
    if you are insistent on asking VS.Net to open the project from the start
    page of the IDE only then does it require that IIS be started. As a matter
    of fact the Project file is editable as well without having to open IIS.

    "Chris" <com> wrote in message
    news:<kq73b.34660$news.prodigy.com>... [/ref]
    allows [/ref]
    can [/ref]
    perfect [/ref][/ref]

    Jason Guest