Professional Web Applications Themes

Resource Forks and cocoa - Mac Programming

Hello, I looked around for code to access resource forks. I found a class NDResourceFork which uses the carbon framework. Is there a cocoa api for accessing resource forks? Bye....

  1. #1

    Default Resource Forks and cocoa

    Hello,

    I looked around for code to access resource forks. I found a class
    NDResourceFork which uses the carbon framework.

    Is there a cocoa api for accessing resource forks?

    Bye.
    Robert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Resource Forks and cocoa

    Robert W. Kuhn wrote:

    nope. resource forks are deprecated, apple doesn't want you to use them
    anymore. you can set type/creator codes via cocoa functions, but those
    are part of a file's metadata and don't go into the resource fork.
    Jhnny Guest

  3. #3

    Jhnny Fvrt schrieb:

    > nope. resource forks are deprecated, apple doesn't want you to use them
    > anymore. you can set type/creator codes via cocoa functions, but those
    > are part of a file's metadata and don't go into the resource fork.[/ref]

    But then where do i can store this little thumbnails (with the imgae
    contensts) that one can seen instead of the file icon?

    Bye
    Robert Guest

  4. #4

    In article <403af69c$0$28975$arcor-online.net>,
    "Robert W. Kuhn" <de> wrote:

    The way Apple would have you doing that is to crete a doent bundle, and store
    the doent data and doent icon as flat files inside it; clearly, this only
    works if you are making your own file format -- otherwise, you get to use the
    resource fork.

    hth

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  5. #5

    Robert W. Kuhn wrote:

    i guess i didn't mention that i don't agree with apple's decision to
    deprecate the resource fork, eh? (heh)

    the finder itself uses them, and for non-trivial purposes. if you set a
    file to open in an app that is not the preferred, that file will
    suddenly grow a resource fork, if it didn't already have one. apple has
    gone to great lengths to make resource forks work on volume formats that
    don't directly support them, like ufs (unix file system). in that case,
    a file with resource data will have a hidden file sitting next to it
    that will contain the stuff that should have gone in its resource fork,
    including its type and creator code, which are not part of the metadata
    on non-hfs volumes. this is invisible to apps that manipulate the
    resource fork, all the hard work goes on behind the scenes.

    personally, i did battle with resource manager, a carbon api, to give my
    disk file class the ability to read and write resource forks, even
    though i consider myself primarily a cocoa programmer. wow, that sure
    wasn't fun. it reminds me of all the times in the late eighties and mid
    nineties when i thought about jumping on the mac bandwagon, but a
    cursory examination of what it would take to program for them always
    drove me away. apple finally got with the program and did away with
    memory partitions and memory handles and got protected memory and
    reliable virtual memory and somewhat sensible multi-threading and grew a
    command line and so on, all the stuff that modern oses are supposed to
    have, so i finally made the jump.
    Jhnny Guest

  6. #6

    Jhnny Fvrt (it means "halo, then resonate") wrote:

    Not to mention never implementing named forks :-(
    I was among those who prepared for them (copying any number of forks over a
    network in my case) only to find that it had all been a waste of time.

    Jan.

    Jan Guest