Professional Web Applications Themes

Restoring an old tintype photo - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Well, I can't really say I'm disappointed in my new Katrin Eismann book on restoration and retouching, but I sure could give her some new challenges. Everything in there looks like a piece of cake to me. :) I picked up some new ideas, but I bet she'd develop some new techniques if she took a look at my pile of old pictures! I'm working on one that dates from April, 1880. It's described in one book I have as a "gem type" - a tiny tintype mounted behind a cardboard cutout. After almost 125 years of poor storage, the ...

  1. #1

    Default Restoring an old tintype photo

    Well, I can't really say I'm disappointed in my new Katrin Eismann book on restoration and retouching, but I sure could give her some new challenges. Everything in there looks like a piece of cake to me. :) I picked up some new ideas, but I bet she'd develop some new techniques if she took a look at my pile of old pictures!

    I'm working on one that dates from April, 1880. It's described in one book I have as a "gem type" - a tiny tintype mounted behind a cardboard cutout. After almost 125 years of poor storage, the face of the tintype is scratched, and the cardboard is very fragile, yellowed, spotted (probably from mildew), and torn. The tintype itself is so dark you can barely make out the image.

    I've managed to correct for most of this stuff in various ways, but I've wound up with an image that's pretty "flat." Has anybody else worked on something like this and discovered any tools that will give back just a little bit of depth, or texture, or something?! I experimented with adding a little Noise. That helped, but I'm open for more suggestions.
    Beth Haney Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Restoring an old tintype photo

    Beth,

    You may want to try Filter>Render>Lighting Effects... and play around with the various Lighting Styles and Texture Channel settings. The great thing is you can 'Save' the effect, there are so many options in that filter! ;-)

    Hope this works for you.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  3. #3

    Gee whiz, Barb, I hate to be so dumb about this, but there's a trick to accessing it, isn't there?! I duplicated my image (I wanted to play on something safe!), simplified, went to Filter>Render, and Lighting Effects is grayed out. OK, this is simple, and I'm missing it!

    Edit: Never mind! I forgot I'd changed this copy to grayscale. The filter is accessible in RGB. Duh. Maybe I've been working on this too long. Now I'll try it and see how it looks! Thanks.
    Beth Haney Guest

  4. #4

    Beth, are you using the first or second edition of Katrin Eismann's book? I
    have both, but haven't had time to look to see if there are some new ideas
    in the section on old damaged photos.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    Well, #$%&*, I must have the first edition, although it was the only one I found listed on Amazon. And it just came day before yesterday. The back cover says it was issued August, 2000. I don't think I wanted to know this Chuck! Well, yes I did, I guess. :) :(
    Beth Haney Guest

  6. #6

    Well, Beth, I won't tell you that there are a bunch of additional pages in
    the "Essential Restoration, Repairing, and Rebuilding Techniques" part of
    the second edition, which had its first printing in July 2003 (135 pages in
    second edition vs. 107 in the first). I just won't do that....

    Seriously, I'll go through it and see if there are some new techniques you
    can use. As you know, some of the techniques are full Photoshop only, but
    many are broadly applicable.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  7. #7

    Beth,

    Sorry I wasn't around to help you...I thought I was subscribed via e-mail, I guess I wasn't. :-(

    One other filter you may want to try is Filter>Stylize>Emboss. Try a setting of Angle 0, Height 6, Amount 89%...although I'm sure it'll vary with the image itself. You can put this layer at a lower opacity over the one you edited to add some dimension to it. I'm not sure if this will simplify your image too much, but it's worth a try.

    Hope you have the success you're looking for...if you need any help just yell.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks, friends! I'm still sitting here playing. I did a grayscale, and now I'm fiddling with an RGB.

    Anybody wanna buy a lightly used copy of "Photoshop Restoration and Retouching", first edition?!

    I guess I'm going to have to drag myself to the bookstore. I'm not getting around too well, so I thought I could get buy with ordering online. Not. That's the way it goes.
    Beth Haney Guest

  9. #9

    I'm not getting around too well, so I thought I could get buy with ordering
    online.

    Beth, is your leg bothering you again?
    Barbara Brundage Guest