Professional Web Applications Themes

restoring lost fonts - Adobe Indesign Windows

Adding a huge number of Micrografx fonts to the Windows XP repository of fonts on the active drive has erased three fonts that I've used to create an InDesign file: "SYMBOL (OTF)", "SYMBOL (OTF) italic", and a "wingding", probably open typeface. Now of course upon opening the aforementioned file InDesign prompts me to specify a substitute font. From where came those three fonts that InDesign can no longer find? I've used WinXP "explore" to search the InDesign setup CDs and also the Win XP recovery CDs (that came with my computer) to find them, and I cannot. I don't understand ...

  1. #1

    Default restoring lost fonts

    Adding a huge number of Micrografx fonts to the Windows XP repository of fonts on the active drive has erased three fonts that I've used to create an InDesign file: "SYMBOL (OTF)", "SYMBOL (OTF) italic", and a "wingding", probably open typeface. Now of course upon opening the aforementioned file InDesign prompts me to specify a substitute font. From where came those three fonts that InDesign can no longer find? I've used WinXP "explore" to search the InDesign setup CDs and also the Win XP recovery CDs (that came with my computer) to find them, and I cannot. I don't understand how a "true type" font replaced an "open typeface" font to begin with. Surely the filenames are different.

    Anyway, anyone know how to restore the fonts used by InDesign when that software was 'fresh out of the box'?
    richard_recard@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: restoring lost fonts

    Adding a huge number of fonts is a big mistake. You should be using a
    font manangement program. You really need to go through and see if those
    fonts are really gone or if the system simply can't find them through
    all the rubble.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Try using the search tool that comes with windows to look for the font. You can type part of the file name if you are not sure exactly what the name of the file was but you know part of it.

    If that doesn't work, try a search engine on the world wide web (I use google). Type the name of the font you are looking for and see if the font is available for download someplace.

    BTW, Bob is absolutely right. You should not be dumping a whole bunch of fonts into the \Windows\Fonts directory. There is no good reason to do that. You should be using a font manager.

    Font managers allow you to preview fonts if that's what you're looking for. You can also activate and deactiviate as needed.

    Only one name comes to mind right now and that's ATM (Adobe TypeManager Deluxe). There are plenty of others you can use but that one is pretty good and easy to use.

    Note: I don't work for Adobe or give special endorsements to their products. Use any font manager you like, ATM is just a suggestion.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    That was a useful suggestion, regardless who you work for. It's strange; I can't find anywhere the fonts that InDesign specifies as missing. My only remaining strategy is to reinstall InDesign without using my second allowed product installation. Thanks again.
    richard_recard@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Since the damage has already been done and since I can't find the purportely missing fonts anywhere, on the web or on CD, I'm left with the strategy of reinstalling InDesign.

    Thanks for your thoughts.
    richard_recard@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Reinstalling ID won't give you back your Windows fonts.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  7. #7

    reinstall InDesign without using my second allowed product installation

    What is this second allowed product installation you speak of? Do you think that installing it more than twice voids your license? If so, you are wrong.

    The license allows you to install it on more than one computer provided that the second computer isn't using the software simultaneously. You have to read the EULA to get into the details. Don't quote me on anything. :)

    Re-installing ID won't give you back your Windows fonts.

    Bob is right. There's no point in re-installing if you are doing it just to get your fonts back - that wont work.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Don't be so sure your fonts are actually missing. Since switching from Quark to ID-CS (Win 2000 Pro, using ATM Deluxe for font management), ID has reported numerous fonts missing in our docs that migrated from Quark. It's also happened in doents that started as native ID files--and that's truly perplexing.

    In every instance so far, the font wasn't actually missing, but rather InDesign was searching for it under a modified name.

    Example:

    In ATM, Quark, and other apps, Franklin Gothic Heavy Italic is listed as <FrnkGothITC HvIt BT, Italic>.

    But InDesign wants it to be <ITC Franklin Gothic BT>, and then in the drop-down you have to select Heavy Italic. So ID thinks it's missing. You need to "know" both what the rest of your system, and ID, call a particular font to do a "Find Font" and "fix" this "missing font."

    This is but one example; there are scores more.

    Maybe someone with Adobe can explain why ID was built to search for font names differently. It's both baffling and aggravating to me.
    Skyline@adobeforums.com Guest