Professional Web Applications Themes

restricting users using time help!! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi there i am triny to work out how i can restrict users using time ie they can only visit my website once an hour does anyone out there have any suguestions or could you point me in the right direction if it helps at all the site will be using ASP 2.0 and VBScript thanks in advance for any help i receive...

  1. #1

    Default restricting users using time help!!

    Hi there

    i am triny to work out how i can restrict users using time ie they can only
    visit my website once an hour

    does anyone out there have any suguestions or could you point me in the
    right direction

    if it helps at all the site will be using ASP 2.0 and VBScript

    thanks in advance for any help i receive

    AArdvark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: restricting users using time help!!

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:52:38 +0100, "AArdvark" <aardvark_ntlworld.com>
    wrote:
    >Hi there
    >
    >i am triny to work out how i can restrict users using time ie they can only
    >visit my website once an hour
    >
    >does anyone out there have any suguestions or could you point me in the
    >right direction
    >
    >if it helps at all the site will be using ASP 2.0 and VBScript
    >

    >thanks in advance for any help i receive

    Why?

    As far as I'm aware, there's no way of doing what you want to do, but
    even if I could think of how to do it, why would you want to?

    Paul Taylor
    [url]http://www.technocurve.co.uk[/url]
    Paul Taylor Guest

  3. #3

    i have seen this done on other websites so i know it can be done

    every website is unique and has diffrent requirements mine happens to be
    that i want users to be able to access certain areas of the site after an
    period of an hour

    thanks anyway

  4. #4

    AArdvark wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > i am triny to work out how i can restrict users using time ie they can only
    > visit my website once an hour
    >
    > does anyone out there have any suguestions or could you point me in the
    > right direction
    >
    > if it helps at all the site will be using ASP 2.0 and VBScript
    It's possible with some kind of session management. I can think of two
    options right now:

    1) Set a cookie with a timestamp for 'last logon', and check that cookie
    on each visit. Requires cookies, of course, which are not a terribly
    reliable way to manage data (user can manipulate cookies, user might not
    be able to receive cookies at all, user may refuse to set cookie and
    therefore not be able to visit site at all, etc).

    2) Require users to log in with username/password, store time of last
    login. Compare current time to time of last login. Doesn't require
    cookies, but requires a registration system. Not every user will want to
    "register", with all the risks of handing over personal data to a
    largely unknown entity.

    Whatever system you choose, the site would have to be DAMN GOOD to
    justify such a restrictive access policy.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt Guest