Professional Web Applications Themes

results in text - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I'd like to force query yzer to return the results of a sproc as "Results in text", rather than "Results in grid". Is there a way to do this? I haven't found any SET command, or any other way to do this. Thanks, Andre...

  1. #1

    Default results in text

    I'd like to force query yzer to return the results of a sproc as
    "Results in text", rather than "Results in grid". Is there a way to do
    this? I haven't found any SET command, or any other way to do this.

    Thanks, Andre

    Andre Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: results in text

    Query yzer is a client presentation tool (at least in the facility
    you're speaking of). Stored procedures, and T-SQL in general, have
    absolutely no concept of "results in text" or "results in grid"... this is
    solely a feature of QA. You're kind of asking for a way to make your car
    always stop at yellow lights, or honk at pretty girls, regardless of who's
    driving. :-)

    "Andre" <com> wrote in message

    Aaron Guest

  3. #3

    Options/Tools and click the Results tab.
    Change the Default Results target.

    "Andre" <com> wrote in message

    raydan Guest

  4. #4

    Andre wrote:
    ?
    How about ctrl-T?
    Or Query|Results In Text?

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    my car honks at pretty girls by default :)

    Thanks, I kinda figured this much, but it's always worth asking.

    Andre

    "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <com> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Andre Guest

  6. #6

    In this case you can
    "make your car always stop at yellow lights, or honk at pretty girls"
    unless I really misunderstand the question.
    Tell me what's wrong with my solution Aaron.

    "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <com> wrote in message

    raydan Guest

  7. #7

    I'm developper, DBA and end user when it comes to QA.
    Nobody else touches SQL server directly.
    I guess I saw the question in my perspective.
    Only the poster can tell us what he really wanted.

    Have a nice weekend Aaron.
    Any good stories from your trip to Toronto?

    > It sounds like he wants T-SQL to force Query yzer to set results in
    > grid, without the end user having to interact with the application (or
    > overriding the existing setting). e.g. a stored procedure that said:
    >
    > SET RESULTS_IN_TEXT ON
    > SELECT * FROM Authors
    >
    > or
    >
    > SET RESULTS_IN_GRID ON
    > SELECT * FROM Employees
    >
    >[/ref]

    raydan Guest

  8. #8

    Just hit Ctrl+T In QA

    HTH

    "Andre" <com> wrote in message

    Amy Guest

  9. #9

    > Rather than trying to have them remember to press ctrl T

    Well, they'll run the proc once, see the results look "strange", and then
    remember "oh yeah." Maybe you could even pass sticky notes around to paste
    to their monitors.

    Personally, I feel it's quite dangerous to give users this inexperienced
    access to QA at all. Can't you build a report tool (e.g. a simple vb.net
    app or a web page) to present these results? Then you have much greater
    control over both what they are accessing *and* how it is presented to them.

    Aaron Guest

  10. #10

    I think you're right on the "oh yeah" part.

    They're actually executing a sproc that updates a record in a table, so a
    report won't work. The results that I wanted to show them "in text" is
    simply something I send them back at the end of the sproc, or in the event
    of an error. It's usually wider than the width of the grid, so rather than
    having them resize, I wanted to be helpful, and show it "in text". And
    access to the sproc is tightly controlled, and run by an couple of very
    capable users. They just don't live in QA like some of us:) They'll
    remember eventually!

    Thanks, Andre

    > Well, they'll run the proc once, see the results look "strange", and then
    > remember "oh yeah." Maybe you could even pass sticky notes around to[/ref]
    paste
    them.

    Andre Guest

  11. #11

    > report won't work. The results that I wanted to show them "in text" is

    So use PRINT instead of SELECT...

    Aaron Guest

  12. #12

    Aaaahhhh, great solution! That works great. See, I knew there was a reason
    I came to the newsgroups :) Thanks Aaron.

    Andre

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    event

    > So use PRINT instead of SELECT...
    >
    >[/ref]

    Andre Guest

  13. #13

    GO is interpreted by QA. i would suggest to build on this and add options:

    GO WITH RESULTS_AS_TEXT

    and

    GO WITH RESULTS_IN_GRID

    i think it's too late for the wishlist for yukon :-))

    cheers,
    </wqw>

    > It sounds like he wants T-SQL to force Query yzer to set results in
    > grid, without the end user having to interact with the application (or
    > overriding the existing setting). e.g. a stored procedure that said:
    >
    > SET RESULTS_IN_TEXT ON
    > SELECT * FROM Authors
    >
    > or
    >
    > SET RESULTS_IN_GRID ON