Professional Web Applications Themes

Retrospect 5.1 Upgrade - Mac Applications & Software

I am curious to hear people's opinion of the Retrospect 5.1 upgrade. Do you think this release should have just a large price tag? Personally, I think Dantz is going to start losing a lot of business with this new business practice they seem to have. They seem to care more about their windows products, any they seem to be charging every way they can. First they started charging for tech support, now it appears they are going to start charging for point releases. Jeff -- Jeff Grossman (jeffstikman.com)...

  1. #1

    Default Retrospect 5.1 Upgrade

    --
    Jeff Grossman (jeffstikman.com)
    Jeff Grossman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Retrospect 5.1 Upgrade

    retrospect is pretty good bu software, but agree that their pricing and
    lack of unpaid tech support are problems. If there was a comparable app
    out there for less money and better tech support, I would switch but so
    would most users.

    Jeff Grossman wrote:
    > I am curious to hear people's opinion of the Retrospect 5.1 upgrade. Do
    > you think this release should have just a large price tag?
    >
    > Personally, I think Dantz is going to start losing a lot of business with
    > this new business practice they seem to have. They seem to care more
    > about their windows products, any they seem to be charging every way they
    > can. First they started charging for tech support, now it appears they
    > are going to start charging for point releases.
    >
    > Jeff
    George Guest

  3. #3

    > Jeff Grossman wrote:
    > > I am curious to hear people's opinion of the Retrospect 5.1 upgrade. Do
    > > you think this release should have just a large price tag?
    > >
    > > Personally, I think Dantz is going to start losing a lot of business with
    > > this new business practice they seem to have. They seem to care more
    > > about their windows products, any they seem to be charging every way they
    > > can. First they started charging for tech support, now it appears they
    > > are going to start charging for point releases.
    In article <Mj6dnUvufp3hIImiXTWJjgcomcast.com>,
    George <george5071my-deja.com> wrote:
    > retrospect is pretty good bu software, but agree that their pricing and
    > lack of unpaid tech support are problems. If there was a comparable app
    > out there for less money and better tech support, I would switch but so
    > would most users.
    I agree. I was so disappointed with the bugginess and poor service
    regarding v5 that I returned it for a refund. Dantz should be ashamed to
    have released such garbage for such a mission-critical application.
    There are plenty of decent backup utilities for other Unicies, so they
    really have no excuse, expect they are sloppy/lazy/incompetent.

    Instead of paying for v5, I just setup a 7200 to backup our lab (all OS
    8/9 and Win 98) using Retrospect 4.3, and just use Carbon Copy Cloner to
    backup my OS X machine.

    I don't mind paying for new features, and 5.1 has a few, but I'm
    especially galled that Retrospect has the nerve to claim 5.1 has
    important bug fixes for 5.0, and doesn't offer that for free to previous
    customers. That is really poor form. I used to advocate Retrospect to
    anyone who'd listen, but now I'll tell anyone to look elsewhere.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  4. #4

    In article <bf29pe$6q0$1apple.stikman.com>,
    Jeff Grossman <jeffstikman.com> wrote:
    > I am curious to hear people's opinion of the Retrospect 5.1 upgrade. Do
    > you think this release should have just a large price tag?
    FYI, the Super Drives that ship with the latest Power Macs (FW800) are
    not compatible with latest Retrospect drivers.

    Retrospect's issues a few upgrades to its driver since I bought my Power
    Mac, but they still haven't included the Super Drive.

    --
    Floydian Slip(tm) - "Broadcasting from the dark side of the moon"
    Random Precision Productions(tm)

  5. #5

    In article <ccb-9A9E31.06155816072003news.bellatlantic.net>, Craig
    Bailey <ccbfloydianslip.com> wrote:
    > In article <bf29pe$6q0$1apple.stikman.com>,
    > Jeff Grossman <jeffstikman.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am curious to hear people's opinion of the Retrospect 5.1 upgrade. Do
    > > you think this release should have just a large price tag?
    >
    > FYI, the Super Drives that ship with the latest Power Macs (FW800) are
    > not compatible with latest Retrospect drivers.
    >
    > Retrospect's issues a few upgrades to its driver since I bought my Power
    > Mac, but they still haven't included the Super Drive.
    The whole point of 5.1 is that it will interrogate your drive and make
    a driver for you. Clearly Dantz is tired of being on the upgrade
    treadmill themselves.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  6. #6

    In article <160720031219313568%elwaynecmindspring.com>, Elwayne Carter
    <elwaynecmindspring.com> wrote:
    > In article <bf29pe$6q0$1apple.stikman.com>, Jeff Grossman
    > <jeffstikman.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am curious to hear people's opinion of the Retrospect 5.1 upgrade. Do
    > > you think this release should have just a large price tag?
    > >
    > > Personally, I think Dantz is going to start losing a lot of business with
    > > this new business practice they seem to have. They seem to care more
    > > about their windows products, any they seem to be charging every way they
    > > can. First they started charging for tech support, now it appears they
    > > are going to start charging for point releases.
    > >
    > > Jeff
    >
    > For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone is still messing
    > around with Retrospect. Long before Dantz made it work with OSX, I
    > started using Tri-BACKUP which even then would make bootable back-ups
    > of my entire hardrive--to another hard drive, or to Zip, Jazz, or CDs.
    > It runs native on OSX, doesn't make errors, is fully programmable for
    > several different types of back-ups, is quite fast, and there has never
    > been a charge for the many updates since I started using it even though
    > many features and improvements have been added. I have restored from
    > it flawlessly a number of times too.
    Does it do incremental backups? My backups typically go back at least
    a month. Actually, for some folders on my machine I have over a year's
    worth of daily backups. And what's the compression like?

  7. #7

    the 'To' and 'Newsgroups' headers for details. ]]

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:19:31 -0500, Elwayne Carter wrote
    > For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone is still messing
    > around with Retrospect.
    I still use it because it can backup to an FTP site. I have my two networked
    machines backup to each other and my more critical stuff is also backed up to
    my web site.

    The ability to have it automatically ftp in is very important to me.
    Otherwise I would need to manually mount the remote volumes before running
    the backup. If Tri-backup had a good solution to this I'd drop Retrospect
    like a hot potatoe.
    > Long before Dantz made it work with OSX, I
    > started using Tri-BACKUP which even then would make bootable back-ups
    > of my entire hardrive--to another hard drive, or to Zip, Jazz, or CDs.
    > It runs native on OSX, doesn't make errors, is fully programmable for
    > several different types of back-ups, is quite fast, and there has never
    > been a charge for the many updates since I started using it even though
    > many features and improvements have been added. I have restored from
    > it flawlessly a number of times too.
    --
    Bill Tschumy
    Otherwise -- Austin, TX

    Bill Tschumy Guest

  8. #8

    Elwayne Carter <elwaynecmindspring.com> wrote:
    > In article <bf29pe$6q0$1apple.stikman.com>, Jeff Grossman
    > <jeffstikman.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I am curious to hear people's opinion of the Retrospect 5.1 upgrade. Do
    >> you think this release should have just a large price tag?
    >>
    >> Personally, I think Dantz is going to start losing a lot of business with
    >> this new business practice they seem to have. They seem to care more
    >> about their windows products, any they seem to be charging every way they
    >> can. First they started charging for tech support, now it appears they
    >> are going to start charging for point releases.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >
    > For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone is still messing
    > around with Retrospect. Long before Dantz made it work with OSX, I
    > started using Tri-BACKUP which even then would make bootable back-ups
    > of my entire hardrive--to another hard drive, or to Zip, Jazz, or CDs.
    > It runs native on OSX, doesn't make errors, is fully programmable for
    > several different types of back-ups, is quite fast, and there has never
    > been a charge for the many updates since I started using it even though
    > many features and improvements have been added. I have restored from
    > it flawlessly a number of times too.
    >
    > I even bought Retrospect when it was finally made workable on X because
    > I was used to using it on earlier OSs but found it so inferior to
    > Tri-BACKUP that I soon quit using it and have never updated or upgraded
    > it. I currently use it with OS 10.2.6. It can be downloaded for a
    > 30-day trial with all features working from
    > [url]http://www.tri-edre.com/english/tribackup.html[/url] If you like it, you can
    > register it for $49. I have found its support, which is by e-mail
    > because the company is in France, to be excellent and fast.
    >
    > Elwayne
    But, does Tri-BACKUP offer backing up multiple clients? That is one
    feature that I definitely need. Retrospect does give me this feature, so
    I might be forced to continue using Retrospect.

    Jeff

  9. #9

    > > For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone is still messing
    > > around with Retrospect.
    >
    > I still use it because it can backup to an FTP site.
    ....and...
    > Will Tri-BACKUP backup to tape? Is there _any_ Mac backup program
    > other than Retrospect which will backup to tape?
    ....and...
    > But, does Tri-BACKUP offer backing up multiple clients?
    Retrospect is a backup powerhouse. Home users have absolutely no need
    for it, IMHO. But if you find yourself in charge of 60 networked Mac
    and Windows machines and want to find a way to back them up
    automatically every night to one centralized location, Retrospect will
    be your new best friend! Or, at least, that was the case 6 years ago
    when I was doing the same thing.

    However, at the time Dantz was an excellent company with excellent
    support. I'm concerned at the apparent agreement that this is no
    longer the case. I wonder if Dantz is resting on their laurels?
    Perhaps it's time for some competition...

    --
    -Thomas

    e-mail me at thomasareed at philadelphia.net minus phil
    Thomas Reed Guest

  10. #10

    In article <160720031350026070%jerrykindallnospam.invalid> ,
    Jerry Kindall <jerrykindallnospam.invalid> wrote:
    > Does it do incremental backups? My backups typically go back at least
    > a month. Actually, for some folders on my machine I have over a year's
    > worth of daily backups. And what's the compression like?
    Also, does it work with tapes?

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard S Shubs Guest