Professional Web Applications Themes

Return Search Results on the Same Page - ASP Database

I am new to ASP and would like to write a page with a drop down listbox on the top of the page. As soon as user choose a value in the dropdown, the resulting records based on the chosen value will display below the dropdown. How do I do this without reloading a new page with the results and that the time that user has to wait can be minimized?...

  1. #1

    Default Return Search Results on the Same Page

    I am new to ASP and would like to write a page with a drop
    down listbox on the top of the page. As soon as user
    choose a value in the dropdown, the resulting records
    based on the chosen value will display below the dropdown.

    How do I do this without reloading a new page with the
    results and that the time that user has to wait can be
    minimized?
    shell Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Return Search Results on the Same Page

    shell wrote:
    > I am new to ASP and would like to write a page with a drop
    > down listbox on the top of the page. As soon as user
    > choose a value in the dropdown, the resulting records
    > based on the chosen value will display below the dropdown.
    >
    > How do I do this without reloading a new page with the
    > results and that the time that user has to wait can be
    > minimized?
    You will need to use client-side code to achieve this, which goes beyond the
    scope of this newsgroup. However, here are a couple option:

    a) use frames

    b) use XMLHTTPRequest: for an example of this, get my dynamic listbox demo
    at
    [url]http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp&c=&a=clear[/url]

    You should follow this up on a client-side coding newsgroup: m.p.scripting.*
    or any group with "dhtml" in its name.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Bob for your advice. I will look at your example
    later. I do not want to use frames on the page, if I want
    the page to be supported by older browsers, can I still
    use XMLHTTPRequest?

    Thanks,
    Shell

    shell Guest