Professional Web Applications Themes

Reversed order printing - Mac Applications & Software

You know, if you get a laser printer, the driver may be more likely to collate the pages in reading order, merely because many shove the sheets out face down. Inkjets want the ink to air dry, so they come out face up. But that means page 2 is on top of page 1. So you have to hand collate the pages. Dealing them into another stack like a deck of cards once will reverse this order. If you are printing more pages than you care to collate, of plain text, you may be better off considering a laser anyway. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Reversed order printing

    You know, if you get a laser printer, the driver may be more likely to collate
    the pages in reading order, merely because many shove the sheets out face down.

    Inkjets want the ink to air dry, so they come out face up. But that means page
    2 is on top of page 1.
    So you have to hand collate the pages. Dealing them into another stack like a
    deck of cards once will reverse this order. If you are printing more pages
    than you care to collate, of plain text, you may be better off considering a
    laser anyway.

    Of course, more is added to the picture if you are printing Japanese, and you
    read reight to left from the back of the book.

    They could do this with the print drivers themselves, but they have good
    reasons for starting at the beginning of a doent, such as printing web pages
    where pagination does not occur until you hit print. You could image the
    printing each time so it is sent to the printer in reverse order, but it will
    make the printing queue longer... probably taking more time than hand
    collation.
    GrapeApe Guest

  2. #2

    GrapeApe <grapeapeaol.comjunk> wrote:
    > Inkjets want the ink to air dry, so they come out face up. But that means page
    > 2 is on top of page 1.
    > So you have to hand collate the pages. Dealing them into another stack like a
    > deck of cards once will reverse this order.
    <snip>
    > They could do this with the print drivers themselves, but they have good
    > reasons for starting at the beginning of a doent, such as printing web
    > pages where pagination does not occur until you hit print.
    It can depend on what program you are using. On my inkjet, at least,
    when printing from Microsoft Word, there is a "reverse order" option.
    But this option isn't present for all printing. I think the driver on my
    old laser printer had a reverse order option as part of the driver.
    --
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    mail to the From address is never read