Professional Web Applications Themes

Rextrict access to pages - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hello, In one of the Macromedia tutorials (and also in the help), it is stated that the 'Restrict Access To Page' (server behavior) only works on HTML pages. I want to protect a page with the extension '.htm', but I see that the '+' sign in the Service Behaviors' tab (Application panel) is downlighted when the extension is .htm The '+' sign is in my case only highlighted if the extension is .cfm If this is the case, how can one then restrict the access to a .htm page? Rgds....

  1. #1

    Default Rextrict access to pages

    Hello,

    In one of the Macromedia tutorials (and also in the help), it is stated that the 'Restrict Access To Page' (server behavior) only works on HTML pages.

    I want to protect a page with the extension '.htm', but I see that the '+' sign in the Service Behaviors' tab (Application panel) is downlighted when the extension is .htm

    The '+' sign is in my case only highlighted if the extension is .cfm
    If this is the case, how can one then restrict the access to a .htm page?

    Rgds.

    TasmanDevil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rextrict access to pages

    I don't think you can. I think the page must be an "Active" page, meaning one that contains script that will be executed on the server - like ASP or Cold Fusion or Javascript.

    I'd be very interested to hear if this is not correct.

    qaw Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the anser.

    Anyhow still strange the help mentions this...

    TasmanDevil Guest

  4. #4

    Murray:
    Content (F1) -> Developing Applications Rapidly -> Building Pages That Restrict Access To Your Site -> Building a page only authorized users can access -> Redirecting unauthorized users to another page

    HTH

    Tasman:

    Where?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "TasmanDevil" <com> wrote in message

    TasmanDevil Guest

  5. #5

    Tasman:

    You mean this paragraph?

    Note: The Restrict Access To Page server behavior can only protect HTML
    pages. It does not protect other site resources such as image files and
    audio files.

    I can see how that would confuse you, but it makes sense to me if you read
    the "HTML pages" as meaning any page containing HTML (including those that
    might also contain server code) as opposed to images, and externally linked
    files like CSS files, or js files, etc.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    Restrict Access To Your Site -> Building a page only authorized users can
    access -> Redirecting unauthorized users to another page

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  6. #6

    Tasman:

    Yes - there are basically 3 ways to protect a page....

    1. Do it with client-side code
    2. Do it with server-side code
    3. Do it with host system configuration

    Client-side code would be like the javascript tutorials at
    http://www.mickweb.com, server-side code would be having a server redirect
    that depends on correct entry of a password, and host configuration would be
    by using something like htaccess to password protect an entire folder on the
    host.

    These are listed in approximate order of security....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources

    "TasmanDevil" <com> wrote in message
    interpreted this a little more wide, as you suggest.

    Murray Guest