Professional Web Applications Themes

RGB as PDF but CMYK as PSD - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

This is the first time I ever experienced this. Last week I was supplied some PDFs that were saved out from Photoshop CS3. My Pitstop preflight told me the originator of the files, and the icons also told me they were Photoshop PDFs. Pitstop and Acrobat's Output Preview both showed me that the images were RGB. Yet, if I open the PDFs with Photoshop, they are CMYK! So, how does this happen, and is there a way with Pitstop or within Acrobat to disregard the RGB info so it sees the original CMYK info? To solve the problem, I just ...

  1. #1

    Default RGB as PDF but CMYK as PSD

    This is the first time I ever experienced this. Last week I was supplied some PDFs that were saved out from Photoshop CS3. My Pitstop preflight told me the originator of the files, and the icons also told me they were Photoshop PDFs.

    Pitstop and Acrobat's Output Preview both showed me that the images were RGB.

    Yet, if I open the PDFs with Photoshop, they are CMYK!

    So, how does this happen, and is there a way with Pitstop or within Acrobat to disregard the RGB info so it sees the original CMYK info?

    To solve the problem, I just opened up the PDFs in Photoshop and resaved as PDF but made sure it keep the correct color. But, to complicate matters some of the files were layered Photoshop files with text layers, so I had to find the fonts used and load them.

    Further info:
    Mac OS 10.4.11
    Acrobat 8.1.3
    Pitstop 7.5.2
    Russell_Goodman@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RGB as PDF but CMYK as PSD

    Steve:

    Thanks for your input. It really had me scratching my head. Since I'm not the one who created the PDFs, I have no idea how it was accomplished. I work in the Prepress department of a Commercial Printer and we deal with many Print Brokers, so you have to go through many layers and channels (puns intended) just to get in contact with the creator of the files.
    Russell_Goodman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Here's what a fellow Pitstop User informed me:

    Hi Russ,

    you probably face a problem, which is seen, when a user saves a PDF from
    Photoshop. In Photoshop you can have set CMYK as colorspace. When saving
    (actually itīs more an export) your file as a PDF you can choose a
    predefined PDF joboptions-setting which is using RGB as colorspace (e.g.
    "Smallest file size", or you can change the colorspace manually in the
    "Output" PDF-Options to an RGB-profile.
    Within the "Save Adobe PDF" options ("General" tab) you can find an option
    called " Preserve Photoshop-Edit features" (This is a translation back
    from the german, the exact wording might be a little different - itīs the
    first option). If this option is active, you actually preserve the
    Photoshop native file within the PDF-file.
    If you now open the PDF with Acrobat/PitStop you will see the PDF-part of
    the file - which is RGB. If you open the file with Photoshop, itīs using
    the native file format saved within the PDF - which is CMYK! A little bit
    tricky - if you donīt know about it....;-)

    Best regards from Hamburg
    Martin

    Impressed GmbH
    Russell Guest