Professional Web Applications Themes

RGB images in CMYK doent? Artwork that requires flattening? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I'm getting two errors in the print dialog. One says there are RGB images in my CMYK doent, and the other says there is artwork that requires flattening. First question: How do I know which objects are still RGB, and how do I change them to CMYK? Second question: I have used "flatten artwork" in the layers box but the error is still there. Right now I have a single layer with all my artwork still separately accessible within that layer. What else needs to be flattened, and how do I accomplish this? Thanks! -Sharon...

  1. #1

    Default RGB images in CMYK doent? Artwork that requires flattening?

    Sharon_Levasseur@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Sharon,

    Which version of Illustrator are you using, and how are you printing and to what kind of printer?

    The kind of flattening that is relevant to printing has nothing at all to do with the Layers palette. The combining of layers that you did was not necessary. I hope that you still have an older copy of your doent if you are going to want to edit it further.

    The flattening that is relevant to printing is Flatten Transparency, which is on the Object menu. The Print process will automatically flatten anything that it needs to, in a temporary copy of the artwork, so that your doent is not altered. But sometimes doing a manual flattening of selected portions of the artwork can give a better appearance, particularly where text interacts with transparent objects.

    There is a Flattener Preview palette that will let you see what is going to be flattened. In CS and CS2 it is built in, and listed under the Window menu. In AI 9 and AI 10 it is an optional plug-in, which you have to drag from the Utilities folder into the Plug-ins folder.

    There is also a PDF doent available for download that describes issues with printing, transparency and flattening in detail. I don't have the link for it at hand, but you should be able to find it pretty easy by searching Adobe's site with those keywords.
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    My apologies. I am using CS2 and I am sending my doent to a print shop that will print it on a very high-end laser printer.

    Thanks, I didn't realize there were two different ways to flatten. That helps a lot.

    Do you have any comments on my RGB/CMYK issue? I am trying to save this as a PDF, by the way.

  4. #4

    In my experience, you have to go back to the original image in your photo editing software and change the "mode" from RGB to CMYK. It's also best to save as a TIF as well.

    BUT, if there's a better way, I'd love to hear it!!!
    Kim_Luchetta@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Is there any way to look at my artwork from within Illustrator and have it TELL me which parts of it are still RGB?
    Sharon_Levasseur@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    If you click on your image with the Info pallette open, it should say which it is, RGB or CMYK.
    Kim_Luchetta@adobeforums.com Guest