Professional Web Applications Themes

RGB to CMYK - Macromedia Freehand

  1. #1

    Default Re: RGB to CMYK

    > I created a design in FH. All the colours are RGB. (i colour picked the
    > colours from the company's corporate id)
    If the company had a professionaly designed corporate identity, they should
    have spec'd the colors for you in both CMYK and probably Pantone as well.

    Picking the colours from your monitor is not a reliable way to match the
    colors.
    > Only problem is that this design will be printed as CMYK. I can convert
    the
    > RBG to CMYK (by sliding the colours bit by bit), but this takes lots of
    time
    > and the end result colours doesnt always match!
    The covers will never match. CMYK and RGB are different color spaces. You
    can select a color, though, then using the palet pull-down choose CONVERT TO
    CMYK. That will at least save you time.

    Again, though, if you are trying to match a corporate Identity, you need to
    get the original spec'd colors.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  2. #2

    Default RGB to CMYK

    Hi Everyone :b

    I created a design in FH. All the colours are RGB. (i colour picked the
    colours from the company's corporate id)

    Only problem is that this design will be printed as CMYK. I can convert the
    RBG to CMYK (by sliding the colours bit by bit), but this takes lots of time
    and the end result colours doesnt always match!

    Is there an easier way to do this?

    thx

    Borris

    Borris the Blade. Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Darrel.. u cleared things up alot!

    If i create a design and colours from scratch.. and the design will go onto
    cmyk print.. wot wud be the best way to ensure that colours on the screen
    and on print will be the closest match?

    is there a cmyk palet that i can choose the colors from?

    what is the use of the default rgb colour palet if rgb is not meant for
    printing? this confuses me

    thanks again :)

    Borris

    "darrel" <darrel.austincourts.state.mn.us> wrote in message
    > > I created a design in FH. All the colours are RGB. (i colour picked the
    > > colours from the company's corporate id)
    >
    > If the company had a professionaly designed corporate identity, they
    should
    > have spec'd the colors for you in both CMYK and probably Pantone as well.
    >
    > Picking the colours from your monitor is not a reliable way to match the
    > colors.
    >
    > > Only problem is that this design will be printed as CMYK. I can convert
    > the
    > > RBG to CMYK (by sliding the colours bit by bit), but this takes lots of
    > time
    > > and the end result colours doesnt always match!
    >
    > The covers will never match. CMYK and RGB are different color spaces. You
    > can select a color, though, then using the palet pull-down choose CONVERT
    > CMYK. That will at least save you time.
    >
    > Again, though, if you are trying to match a corporate Identity, you need
    > get the original spec'd colors.
    >
    > -Darrel

    Borris the Blade. Guest

  4. #4

    How can I convert from RGB to CMYK in elements? Or turn a TIFF or PDF into CMYK?

    -J
    Jacques Germans Guest

  5. #5

    Rich, while you're here, I have a related question that I've been wondering about. We are thinking of investing in Xerox 7700 for my music publishing company so that we can do short runs inhouse.

    We do monochrome about 27 or 28 times as much as color, but I've been wondering about printing those rare color files on a printer like that. Will the result in rgb mode be as yucky as the photoshop forum says it will?
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  6. #6

    Barbara,

    I wish I could be more help, but I'm not familiar with that printer.

    What I can tell you is some high end printers contain an internal rip device. For instance sending to a docucolor through a rip device like a Fiery will do the conversion at the RIP and you actually get a better result sending RGB because the device does its own conversion.

    If you are looking to do short runs in house you might want to move to full photoshop. It may be a worthwhile investment when looking at it from a business perspective.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  7. #7

    you might want to move to full photoshop

    Yes, we know we will eventually have to, but were hoping to tough it out till ID 3, since we need the full design bundle, Rich. Thanks.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  8. #8

    please forgive me for this seemingly idiot question but to convert my RGB graphics to CMYK for the print house do I just convert it through the mode button or is there more to it ? The help section really does not tell me if i need to do anything else. Are there other settings that I need to monkey with ? Thanks, try not to laugh too loud at me~ Jodi
    Jodi Frye Guest

  9. #9

    In it's simplest form, yes, all you have to do is convert from RGB to CMYK through the mode menu.

    A couple other "considerations" if you will, that you may want to take into account, are:

    The first would that you should expect to see some color shifting as a result of the process. Reds will tend to look more brown and blues can become more purple. A good way to simulate the end result while working in RGB is to work with the CMYK preview on (Ctrl + Y). At least with this on, you won't be surprised with any color shift and can correct it long before it may become an issue.

    A second thought is that if you work on a color managed system at all, consider the CMYK profile you choose before converting from RGB to CMYK. I tend to use the US Sheetfed Coated v.2 profile, as most of my work is printed on sheetfed offset printers using a coated paper stock. I get some excellent color results on the final product.

    What I would suggest is to identify A] what kind of press the project will be printed on, and B] what kind of paper. Then make sure you talk to your printer to see if he has a specific color profile that he would prefer you use (some presses do have specific profiles that can greatly help with the final output quality). Also check with the printer on the amount of dot gain that is typically associated with his printing processes. That way you can accomodate for the gain within the color settings of your file.
    BLUDVLZ Guest

  10. #10

    BLUDVLZ, first off ' THANK YOU !!!!' you are an angel....you've answered all my questions with patience and proffessionalism (my word ). Second, thanks for not laughing !

    ~Jodi :)
    Jodi Frye Guest