Is there an Apple Colorsync list on Adobe's site? Go here: [email]colorsync-info@public.lists.apple.com[/email] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <2cd07713.9@webx.la2eafNXanI> [ref] => <2cd07713.-1@webx.la2eafNXanI> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Andrew_Rodney@adobeforums.com [ip] => Andrew_Rodney@a [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 11 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Rgb to cymk - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3
Professional Web Applications Themes

Rgb to cymk - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

I have some photographs that a magazine wants in cymk. The originals are 8 bit RGB. Someone suggested that I convert to 16 bit rgb before I convert to cymk. After the cymk conversion back to 8 bit. Is there any other suggestions about converting to cymk ?? thanks...

Default Rgb to cymk

I have some photographs that a magazine wants in cymk. The originals are 8 bit RGB. Someone suggested that I convert to 16 bit rgb before I convert to cymk. After the cymk conversion back to 8 bit. Is there any other suggestions about converting to cymk ??

thanks

Richard_a_Ward@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: Rgb to cymk

You won't gain anything by converting from 8 bit to 16 bit. If the information/range/details aren't there in 8-bit mode, converting to 16 bit won't magically create them.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

That's what I thought. The person giving the advice must have thought that I was starting with a 16 bit rgb original. That would make sense.

Other than that bit of nonsense. Do I need to adjust for out-of- gamut colors are just go by what looks best on my calibrated monitor.

Thanks
    Richard_a_Ward@adobeforums.com Guest

If he had suggested that you convert to 16 bit he must have at least asssumed you had an 8 bit image. It doesn't really matter. In all but the most extreme cases, you'll see no difference at all converting to CMYK. Generally speaking, you don't need to make adjustments for out of gamut colors. If you've got colors that are mildly to moderately out of gamut, use Relative Colorimetric and let the colors fall where they may. In extreme cases, Perceptual sometimes gives a better conversion. No matter what rendering intent you use, it's always a good idea to check the info palette for contaminated colors and ink densities, using Selective Color to make final tweaks before press.
    Peter_Figen@adobeforums.com Guest

But, of course, the underlying problem is that the CMYK ink gamut is noticeably smaller than RGB light. Colors such as clean bright orange, green, or purple will suffer heavily. On the otherhand, when looking at pages of well-crafted CMYK print reproduction, no one seems to notice that.

Neil
    Neil_Keller@adobeforums.com Guest

It really kind of depends on what you are speaking about when converting an 8 bit file into 16 bit for better image quality.

In general, it's a waste of time, but trying to correct difficult vignettes and masking, etc, 16 bit is the place to be even with standing 8 bit files with existing problems. The creation of 16 bit vignettes from scratch is hugely superior from 8 bit.

bits, bite!
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest

The Adobe ACE CMM is a 20 bit algorithm.
    Andrew_Rodney@adobeforums.com Guest

Andrew,

I've been seeing this 20 bit claim pop up in Adobe Forums. Can you direct me to info on what this means?

Thanks
    Tim_Lookingbill@adobeforums.com Guest

This was discussed awhile back on the Apple Colorsync list by Chris Cox. You can search the archives but I suspect Chris will chime in well before you can find the posts (the search on this list isn't all that wonderful). But in a nutshell, the Adobe ACE is using 20 bit precision to in doing the calculations and as far as I know, the other available CMMs are not.

I guess it creates smoother transitions. Is there an Apple Colorsync list on Adobe's site?

I guess I'll go lookin'.

Thanks, Andrew.
    Tim_Lookingbill@adobeforums.com Guest

-->Is there an Apple Colorsync list on Adobe's site?

Go here:

[email]colorsync-infopublic.lists.apple.com[/email]