Professional Web Applications Themes

RGB to CYMK question - Adobe Indesign Windows

I run the computers for my highschool's newspaper organization and we are interested in discontinuing our use of Adobe PageMaker and using Adobe InDesign. So far I have one question that I have been unable to find an answer for. At the request of our printer, all of our colors need to be in CYMK format, not RGB. With the setup that my newspaper class has now using PageMaker, I use Adobe Dilstiller to create a PDF and that gets sent to the printer. I have changed the preferences on Distiller to make the colors CYMK automatically. I need to ...

  1. #1

    Default RGB to CYMK question

    I run the computers for my highschool's newspaper organization and we are interested in discontinuing our use of Adobe PageMaker and using Adobe InDesign.

    So far I have one question that I have been unable to find an answer for. At the request of our printer, all of our colors need to be in CYMK format, not RGB. With the setup that my newspaper class has now using PageMaker, I use Adobe Dilstiller to create a PDF and that gets sent to the printer. I have changed the preferences on Distiller to make the colors CYMK automatically. I need to know if I will be able to do this with inDesign as well. I know that it is possible to export directly to PDF, but I need to know if I will be able to have all of the colors set to CYMK.

    Any answer or help would be appreciated greatly.

    Thankyou
    bert_menches@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RGB to CYMK question

    You would be far better off having all images and grphics already defined as CMYK. Once that is done, exporting your PDF will keep the CMYK vlaues unchanged. If you are going to use InDesign to convert Photoshop RGB images to CMYK (and yes, you can easily do this), then you should use colour profiles to get the best results.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you very much Scott. I'll consider your suggestion.
    bert_menches@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Bert,

    An RGB workflow is indeed better, as it allows you to target several CMYK devices with the same source material. If you save as AI instead of EPS, InDesign can even colour-separate vector files. All you need do is change output device profiles and InDesign handles the separation for you.

    InDesign allows you to export PDFs directly. It also gives you the option of exporting the colours 1) unchanged; 2) all converted to RGB (and you can specify the profile); or 3) all converted to CMYK (and you can specify the profile).

    Speaking of profiles, you should ask your printer for an ICC profile for his particular equipment. If he doesn't have one, U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, the default, should produce satisfactory results.

    Having said that, there is ONE case where you should use a pre-defined CMYK colour, and that is in the case of black. Text and small objects should be defined as the default (C0, M0, Y0, K100) black, not as an RGB black. Exceptions to this rule exist, but only in special situations.
    Shane_Matthews@adobeforums.com Guest