Professional Web Applications Themes

RH 7.2 Gnome - How to Start - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I've installed what I think is Gnome from the disk distribution of RH 7.2 that I have. I installed the gdm rpm. I got a long list of dependencies. I went thru them; some got rid of some of the original dependencies. Some had dependencies of their own. Now the instructions I have say to add gnome-session to the .xinitrc file in the home directory. I cannot find this file, so I created it in the /home/myuser directory and did startx. Gnome did not start. Then I found /etc/rc.local and put gnome-session in there and gnome still did not start. ...

  1. #1

    Default RH 7.2 Gnome - How to Start

    I've installed what I think is Gnome from the disk distribution of RH
    7.2 that I have. I installed the gdm rpm. I got a long list of
    dependencies. I went thru them; some got rid of some of the original
    dependencies. Some had dependencies of their own. Now the
    instructions I have say to add gnome-session to the .xinitrc file in
    the home directory. I cannot find this file, so I created it in the
    /home/myuser directory and did startx. Gnome did not start. Then I
    found /etc/rc.local and put gnome-session in there and gnome still did
    not start.

    When I issue a startx Fvwm starts.

    How do I do this? I do not want Gnome to start up on boot. I just
    want to start it when I want it.

    --
    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RH 7.2 Gnome - How to Start

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:28:06 -0400, Ken Loomis
    <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >I've installed what I think is Gnome from the disk distribution of RH
    >7.2 that I have. I installed the gdm rpm. I got a long list of
    >dependencies. I went thru them; some got rid of some of the original
    >dependencies. Some had dependencies of their own. Now the
    >instructions I have say to add gnome-session to the .xinitrc file in
    >the home directory. I cannot find this file, so I created it in the
    >/home/myuser directory and did startx. Gnome did not start. Then I
    >found /etc/rc.local and put gnome-session in there and gnome still did
    >not start.
    >
    >When I issue a startx Fvwm starts.
    >
    >How do I do this? I do not want Gnome to start up on boot. I just
    >want to start it when I want it.
    OK, I did switchdesk gnome and got the meesage "Gnome not installed."
    Is gdm not gnome? Is there not a Gnome RPM? Why is the hard stuff
    easy and the easy stuff hard?

    --
    Ken

    Ken Loomis Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:52:37 -0400, Ken Loomis wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:28:06 -0400, Ken Loomis
    > <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I've installed what I think is Gnome from the disk distribution of RH
    >>7.2 that I have. I installed the gdm rpm. I got a long list of
    >>dependencies. I went thru them; some got rid of some of the original
    >>dependencies. Some had dependencies of their own. Now the instructions
    >>I have say to add gnome-session to the .xinitrc file in the home
    >>directory. I cannot find this file, so I created it in the /home/myuser
    >>directory and did startx. Gnome did not start. Then I found
    >>/etc/rc.local and put gnome-session in there and gnome still did not
    >>start.
    >>
    >>When I issue a startx Fvwm starts.
    >>
    >>How do I do this? I do not want Gnome to start up on boot. I just want
    >>to start it when I want it.
    >
    > OK, I did switchdesk gnome and got the meesage "Gnome not installed." Is
    > gdm not gnome? Is there not a Gnome RPM? Why is the hard stuff easy and
    > the easy stuff hard?
    Don't rightly know what you meant when you said "I went thru them; some
    got rid of some of the original dependencies.".

    This is easy. Install the whole RH 7.2 from your CD. (Then upgrade all
    the things that you will be using that need updates. Don't bother with
    anything that you do not use and that will not be exposed to outside users
    or public networks. You can remove what you want one by one after you
    have your system working.) If you have removed essential dependencies
    from your system, I can't help with individual issues. It is too complex
    for my personal knowledge, and you'll either have to reinstall all those
    dependencies or find help elsewhere.

    When you install from the RH CD there is a question about if you want to
    boot into the GUI or into a text mode console. That was your first chance
    to get what you are asking for.

    If you later want to change your permanent settings, that can be done.
    Also, yes, you can start and stop the Gnome GUI, or just switch between
    them, at will. The following quotation may help.

    Please bear in mind that if you "got rid of" necessary software, it will
    not work. You didn't really explain that part, and I couldn't help if you
    did. You might not want or need 90% of the stuff in the distro, but the
    10% that you do need and want does have to be there. Go figure.

    From alt.linux redhat
    /////////////////////
    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:14:23 +0700, Trieu Anh Dung typed:
    > Hi experts
    > I'm using RedHat Linux 9.1 with GUI interface. But sometimes I want to
    > quit GUI and switch to TEXTMODE with command line. Please help me!
    > Thanks for reading.
    Permanent change -
    As root edit the /etc/inittab file and change;

    id:5:initdefault: to read; id:3:initdefault:

    You can start the GUI by typing; startx

    Temporary change--
    Log out of the GUI session, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to F6 log on as root then
    type; init 3

    You can restart to the GUI interface by typing; init 5

    /////////////////////
    I would add, for temporary switches:
    <Ctl-Alt>-F1>
    thru
    <Ctl-Alt>-F6>
    gives you 6 different concurrent text consoles.
    <Ctl-Alt>-F7>
    gives you the Gnome GUI.
    There can also be a Gnome session on: <Ctl-Alt>-F8>
    under some cirstances,
    and a number of different desktops under any one Gnome session. (Alt-F1
    thru Alt-F8)

    Also suggest that you peruse the referenced NG or other RH-specific NG's
    for more RH specific information. Your newsreader might support a search
    function for that purpose.

    Also VERY IMPORTANT: Do NOT -REPEAT- _NOT_ log on as root. Log on as a
    normal user. You can then later do a

    $ su -

    and enter your root password when prompted, in a text console or an xterm
    window, to do anything needed as a superuser. Type

    # exit

    to return to a normal "$" user interface when you have finished your root
    jobs.

    Good luck, HTH, and best wishes.
    Newsbox Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:41:29 -0400, Newsbox
    <newsboxcustomers-of-adelphia.org> wrote:
    >>> I got a long list of
    >>>dependencies. I went thru them; some got rid of some of the original
    >>>dependencies.
    >
    >Don't rightly know what you meant when you said "I went thru them; some
    >got rid of some of the original dependencies.".
    A certain package would have say 3 dependencies. I would install the
    first and then try to reinstall the original package. Sometimes, then
    there would be no more dependencies. So somehow the first dependency
    handled the next 2. (Don;t know if that's any clearer)

    Anyway, I did an "upgrade" from the CDs and got Gnome installed. Now
    I can get to it with switchdesk. But the total upgrade aborted due to
    some "bug." Somehow it managed to install Gnome before it crashed. I
    imagine I must have some instabilty now. :-(

    >This is easy. Install the whole RH 7.2 from your CD.
    I really don;t want to do an entire re-install because I have too many
    configurations and upgraded packages, but now that the system upgrade
    had a problem I may have to do it.

    --
    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:47:25 -0400, Ken Loomis wrote:

    >>Don't rightly know what you meant when you said "I went thru them; some
    >>got rid of some of the original dependencies.".
    >
    > A certain package would have say 3 dependencies. I would install the
    > first and then try to reinstall the original package. Sometimes, then
    > there would be no more dependencies. So somehow the first dependency
    > handled the next 2. (Don;t know if that's any clearer)
    >
    > Anyway, I did an "upgrade" from the CDs and got Gnome installed. Now I
    > can get to it with switchdesk. But the total upgrade aborted due to
    > some "bug." Somehow it managed to install Gnome before it crashed. I
    > imagine I must have some instabilty now. :-(
    I feel your pain. I have also had installations fail. And I have also
    had packages refuse to install due to dependencies isues. I have had no
    answers and no help. This I have accepted as a consequence of complexity
    and rapidly changing software. I have "made do" with my best judgement of
    secure and stable and useable software. They do not all work well
    together. I could offer examples and perspectives, all of which might be
    erroneous.

    >>This is easy. Install the whole RH 7.2 from your CD.
    >
    > I really don;t want to do an entire re-install because I have too many
    > configurations and upgraded packages, but now that the system upgrade
    > had a problem I may have to do it.
    Hopefully (possibly?) you still have all your upgraded rpm's on disk, and
    can save them, or at least you know how and where you got them all. On a
    broadband connection, (which I have and maybe you do) downloading them
    from a remote source is not as much of an issue as knowing what to get,
    and how and from where. Usually, in my experience, the rpm's are
    downloaded to local disk, and then later installed. So if you have media
    to save them (floppies, tape, RWCD's, or other HD's or partitions), they
    will be available locally for upgrade after a reinstall from your original
    CD's. A more elegant approach would be to install the upgraded packages
    directly, but that is beyond what I could help with. ie. I had a current
    (August?) RH 7.3 CD set fail three times and I don't know why. The system
    did run ok with limited specific issues. I can run it now in text console
    mode or Gnome GUI, including xterm (but not both) without problems, IF I
    avoid those issues. It works fine, as such, but has a "glibc" issue, if I
    understand it correctly. That computer, as I write, is running Knoppix
    Debian Linux from a CD (NOT on HD) from cheapbytes.com. That has been
    running over a week with no problems except that my ramdisk (including my
    /home/ folder) is full.

    Important to save your settings and configurations, is to save your /home/
    folder. That doesn't save the whole system, but just you e-mail settings,
    browser settings, and such. If you can, save and restore your /etc/
    folder.

    Yes, you can rebuild your system from rpm's from CD's. ... If you want to.
    It might even be easier, if you know what to rebuild.

    I will help if I can. Please post back here.

    Just wanted to send this without too much delay.

    And good luck!

    Best wishes.
    Newsbox Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:36:57 -0400,
    Newsbox <newsboxcustomers-of-adelphia.org> wrote:
    > Important to save your settings and configurations, is to save your /home/
    > folder. That doesn't save the whole system, but just you e-mail settings,
    > browser settings, and such. If you can, save and restore your /etc/
    > folder.

    If the install is botched don't restore your /etc folder, only restore
    files that you configured yourself, or know exactly what they are. The
    backup is nice because some files are a PITA to configure.

    And Assuming you have a separate home, don't mount it during the
    install, modify fstab and mount it yourself, this way you're less apt to
    initialize your home partition. I did that once in RH7.2 and I was positive
    I told it not to initialize it.

    Michael C.
    --
    [email]mcsuper5usol.com[/email] [url]http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/[/url]