Professional Web Applications Themes

RH 7.2 Gnome How To Install - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I want to install Gnome. I've read and I've googled and the best I can tell it looks like I have to install 47 packages! Some of which I have and some of which I don't. Isn't there an easier way? I can't ftp from the machine and I don't know squat about tarballs, etc. Is there no other way? Can I install Gnome from my distro disks without having to reinstall Linux in it's entirity. I can't believe it's this hard. -- Ken...

  1. #1

    Default RH 7.2 Gnome How To Install

    --

    Ken

    Ken Loomis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RH 7.2 Gnome How To Install

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:37:11 -0400, Ken Loomis wrote:
    > I want to install Gnome. I've read and I've googled and the best I can
    > tell it looks like I have to install 47 packages! Some of which I have
    > and some of which I don't. Isn't there an easier way? I can't ftp from
    > the machine and I don't know squat about tarballs, etc. Is there no
    > other way?
    >
    > Can I install Gnome from my distro disks without having to reinstall
    > Linux in it's entirity.
    >
    > I can't believe it's this hard.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Ken
    You are the one who made it hard by "getting rid" of dependencies.
    Normally, Gnome is installed by default, and would work without problems
    right off. All the packages needed for Gnome are on your RH 7.2 distro
    CD. Trust me on this; I did it ok. You will need to update many of
    those packages from the Internet before you are really set up.

    You don't need ftp to upgrade or download packages. You don't need to
    know about tarballs. Normally, use up2date and rpm's.

    Start>>Programs>>System>>Update Agent

    You need Gnome running to use up2date, even though you can start it from a
    command line.

    You can also get packages from other sources, at your discretion. Again,
    you probably need a GUI running to use a browser for http protocol, though
    it can be done without it. Try googling for:

    rpmfind
    freshmeat
    sourceforge

    Also, as stated in my other message, look on RH specific NG's.

    Or try groups.google.com, and search for (existing!) specific answers to
    your specific questions, on RH specific groups. When all else fails, you
    could read the directions, at redhat.com.

    It's easy, ... if you don't "get rid of depenancies".

    Just reinstall everything (save and restore your "/home/" folder if you
    want.) Follow the directions in the installation dialogs. You can boot
    to text console (**log in as a normal user!!**) and duff around all you
    want. Then do a

    $ startx

    and everything will be beautiful. Update your internet apps for security
    fixes. Read the redhat update mails faithfully. When you can do
    everything from a command line that most of us do from a GUI, give a
    shout. Thanks.

    Best wishes.
    Newsbox Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:28:10 -0400, Newsbox
    <newsboxcustomers-of-adelphia.org> wrote:
    >On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:37:11 -0400, Ken Loomis wrote:
    >>
    >> I can't believe it's this hard.
    >
    >You are the one who made it hard by "getting rid" of dependencies.
    Sorry to have misled you there. I didn't get rid of dependencies. It
    looked like certain dependencies took care of others. Anyhoo, my
    miserable attempt to install all 47 packages completely bombed as I
    encountered dependency loops and other weird stuff..

    Basically I'm running a server config, but I want to be able to use
    Gnome on occasion to see files and directories better and to look for
    packages, etc.

    Thansk for your help.

    --

    Ken

    Ken Loomis Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 Ken Loomis wrote:
    >I want to install Gnome. I've read and I've googled and the best I can
    >tell it looks like I have to install 47 packages! Some of which I have
    >and some of which I don't. Isn't there an easier way?
    There is.
    >I can't ftp from the machine and I don't know squat about tarballs,
    >etc. Is there no other way?
    There is.
    >Can I install Gnome from my distro disks without having to reinstall
    >Linux in it's entirity.
    Yes.
    >I can't believe it's this hard.
    I can't believe you didn't say wonderful distro of yours?

    V.
    Vwakes Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 Vwakes wrote:
    >On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 Ken Loomis wrote:
    You did say it's RH 7.2. My fault ;-)
    >>I want to install Gnome. I've read and I've googled and the best I
    >>can tell it looks like I have to install 47 packages! Some of which I
    >>have and some of which I don't. Isn't there an easier way?
    >
    >There is.
    apt
    >>I can't ftp from the machine and I don't know squat about tarballs,
    >>etc. Is there no other way?
    >
    >There is.
    apt
    >>Can I install Gnome from my distro disks without having to reinstall
    >>Linux in it's entirity.
    >
    >Yes.
    And apt
    >>I can't believe it's this hard.
    >
    >I can't believe you didn't say wonderful distro of yours?
    RH 7.2 it is, so try:

    [url]http://freshrpms.net/[/url]

    You also try "yum" and "up2date".

    V.

    Vwakes Guest

  6. #6

    Ken Loomis wrote:
    > Can I install Gnome from my distro disks without having to reinstall
    > Linux in it's entirity.
    .... yep
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    Never count your chickens before they rip your lips off

    mjt Guest