Professional Web Applications Themes

RH 8.0/Fedora/Mandrake Installation Issues - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I've been trying to install Mandrake 9.0, RH 8.0, Fedora, and Debian. I've had some success with Debian installing, however with Mandrake, RH 8.0 and Fedora I'm having problems. Mandrake will begin to probe the hardware, then immediately goes into a kernel panic. With RH and Fedora I can boot up, get through the partioning and configuration, but once it begins to write /usr it stalls and the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights blink. The box I'm working on has the following: P3 777 P3v4x Asus MB 384 Ram 15 gb WD 166AA 64mb ATI Rage XL NetGear Network ...

  1. #1

    Default RH 8.0/Fedora/Mandrake Installation Issues

    I've been trying to install Mandrake 9.0, RH 8.0, Fedora, and Debian.
    I've had some success with Debian installing, however with Mandrake,
    RH 8.0 and Fedora I'm having problems.

    Mandrake will begin to probe the hardware, then immediately goes into
    a kernel panic.

    With RH and Fedora I can boot up, get through the partioning and
    configuration, but once it begins to write /usr it stalls and the Caps
    Lock and Scroll Lock lights blink.

    The box I'm working on has the following:
    P3 777
    P3v4x Asus MB
    384 Ram
    15 gb WD 166AA
    64mb ATI Rage XL
    NetGear Network Card
    Sony CD

    To try to isolate the problem, I pulled the drive and connected it to
    my Windows box. I tried to reinstall Mandrake and there was no kernel
    panic, but it stalled on installing the packages. This could be a CD
    problem and I'll have to check that. I then installed Fedora
    successfully. However, upon reboot I would get to GRUB, then the
    system would simply reboot continuously. I checked the BIOS and the
    drive would no longer pull up, however it did pull up before the
    install.

    I have been able to install Debian on the P3 box and with the
    exception of a few packages not installing (again, perhaps a CD issue)
    I could get Debian up and running. I've also been able to run Knoppix
    and LNX-BBC on the P3 box.

    I'm unsure based upon what has happened whether or not the drive is
    defective or not. My next plan is to ask a friend for a different
    drive to test on the P3 as well as a different vid card. I'm also
    considering placing a version of Windows on the P3 to see if that can
    install successfully or not to perhaps isolate the drive. It was a
    donated box and I wasn't given much info on any potential hardware
    problems.

    Until then, any suggestions on what might be the problem would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, Michael
    michael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RH 8.0/Fedora/Mandrake Installation Issues

    Michael writes:

    All of those distributions except Debian probe for peripherals. I suspect
    that the probing software is hanging on one of yours.
    --
    John Hasler
    gt.org (John Hasler)

  3. #3

    John, thanks for the response.

    I'm befuddled though since the P3 box has no peripherals to speak of.
    Just the keyboard, mouse and monitor whereas the succesfull install I
    had on my Windows box when I swapped drives had three peripheral
    connections. So I'm clueless as to which peripheral it could hang on.

    I have managed to place in another vid card and pulled the network
    card and on Fedora I get a kernal panic once it starts writing to the
    file system. I've checked the media and it passes.

    I suspect since Debian installs the harddrive should be fine. I'm
    still planning on swapping with a different drive once I can get ahold
    of one.

    I also noticed Fedora has memtest86 so I'll try that tomorrow to make
    sure the memory is good.

    Is there a means of slowing down the hardware probe so I can check and
    see if it is throwing any errors?

    Thanks again,
    Michael
    John Hasler <gt.org> wrote in message news:<dhh.gt.org>...

    > All of those distributions except Debian probe for peripherals. I suspect
    > that the probing software is hanging on one of yours.[/ref]
    michael Guest

  4. #4

    Perhaps you should try adding: ide=nodma
    for your grub options. I have had a few older machines that wouldn't
    load Linux until I added that option.

    Ed Friedman

    Ed Guest