Professional Web Applications Themes

RH8.0 "forgot" my monitor, video card, and mouse settings - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I've had this problem or others related to it several times now. I'll install RedHat 8.0 on my Linux box at home, and it all seems to work fine. Then I'll try to install some new card or change my monitor setting or something of that sort and I lose proper response from the mouse and/or display in X. After several repetitions of mouseconfig, xf86config, etc., I may get a little closer to a working system but may or may not get all the way there. The frustrating thing is that when I boot from the installation CD, it has ...

  1. #1

    Default RH8.0 "forgot" my monitor, video card, and mouse settings

    I've had this problem or others related to it several times now.
    I'll install RedHat 8.0 on my Linux box at home, and it all seems
    to work fine. Then I'll try to install some new card or change
    my monitor setting or something of that sort and I lose proper
    response from the mouse and/or display in X.

    After several repetitions of mouseconfig, xf86config, etc., I may
    get a little closer to a working system but may or may not get all
    the way there. The frustrating thing is that when I boot from the
    installation CD, it has no trouble at all with the display or the
    mouse--I can install in graphical mode just fine--and anaconda
    will very nicely restore my X to a working condition too ... but
    only if I do a full reinstall that wipes out everything on the
    hard drive.

    The frustrating thing is, although I can always back up, install
    Linux, and restore my data (and I just did so for a HDD upgrade,
    where it was obviously the thing to do!), it seems extremely
    wasteful to have to do this when all I want is to restore the
    X configuration that I already had once before.

    And if I could solve that then maybe I could also solve the issue
    that sometimes it seems I can set up my video card at install time
    so that it effectively has 8 or 16 or whatever MB of RAM (although
    the vast majority of this is on the motherboard), and other times
    it gets only the 512 KB that are actually on the card, and I have
    not been able to determine what it is I did differently to get
    one outcome or the other. It would of course be a lot easier to
    debug this if I didn't have to do a several-hour reinstall each
    time I wanted to try to change it.

    I'm thinking at this point I should just buy a cheap 32 MB video
    card and a new mouse to throw onto this system. If I'm lucky,
    kudzu will detect the new hardware and help me configure it
    without having to do yet another full installation of Linux.
    Seems kind of silly since the old card and mouse were doing the
    jobs I asked them to do (basically slow graphics at 1024x768, and
    point and click!) until I changed the HDD, but as long as I
    don't know about any tools I can actually use to restore and tune
    my mouse and video when the configuration breaks, it wastes a lot
    more of my time than the cost of the new hardware.

    This is such a stupid situation that I am sure I must be missing
    some very simple solution. What is it?

    David
    David A. Karr Guest

  2. #2

    David A. Karr <davidporchwithhouse.com> wrote:
    > After several repetitions of mouseconfig, xf86config, etc., I may
    > get a little closer to a working system but may or may not get all
    Then don't use them. Edit your XF86Config[-4] to be the way you like
    it, and keep it that way.
    > The frustrating thing is, although I can always back up, install
    > Linux, and restore my data (and I just did so for a HDD upgrade,
    The XF86Config[-4] file is all you need.
    > where it was obviously the thing to do!), it seems extremely
    > wasteful to have to do this when all I want is to restore the
    > X configuration that I already had once before.
    Then do so!

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest