Professional Web Applications Themes

RH8 hard disk install - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I need help to install RH8 on my PC: P4 2.4 Ghz HT 256 MB RAM 40 GB pri Master 4 GB pri. Slave I have the contents of all 5 RH8 Cds on my Hard disk, in their own directories, with subdirectories. How can i create iso images of these directories to use for a hard disk install? My attempts are not recognised by the installation. Are there some specific parameters to enter while creating the image in Nero 5.5 Alternately is there another method to make the images out of the directories? Thanks Alok...

  1. #1

    Default RH8 hard disk install

    I need help to install RH8 on my PC:
    P4 2.4 Ghz HT
    256 MB RAM
    40 GB pri Master
    4 GB pri. Slave

    I have the contents of all 5 RH8 Cds on my Hard disk, in their own
    directories, with subdirectories.
    How can i create iso images of these directories to use for a hard
    disk install? My attempts are not recognised by the installation.
    Are there some specific parameters to enter while creating the image
    in Nero 5.5
    Alternately is there another method to make the images out of the
    directories?
    Thanks
    Alok
    Alok Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RH8 hard disk install

    Alok wrote:
    > I need help to install RH8 on my PC:
    > P4 2.4 Ghz HT
    > 256 MB RAM
    > 40 GB pri Master
    > 4 GB pri. Slave
    >
    > I have the contents of all 5 RH8 Cds on my Hard disk, in their own
    > directories, with subdirectories.
    > How can i create iso images of these directories to use for a hard
    > disk install? My attempts are not recognised by the installation.
    > Are there some specific parameters to enter while creating the image
    > in Nero 5.5
    > Alternately is there another method to make the images out of the
    > directories?
    > Thanks
    > Alok
    When I used the hard disk install, I put all the ISO images in one directory
    and then told the install program where they were.

    What happened to the images you had?

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    To reply to this message, replace everything to the left of "" with
    james.knott.
    James Knott Guest

  3. #3

    I don't have the images. I just copied the contents of the CDs onto my
    hard disk, because the CDs weren't mine

  4. #4

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:32:01 -0700, Alok typed:
    > I don't have the images. I just copied the contents of the CDs onto my
    > hard disk, because the CDs weren't mine
    Borrow the CD's again, this time make ISO images of them, Nero can do this
    just fine. Then you can burn the ISO's to CD's as you should have in the
    first place. It's possible to make the CD's from the files you have
    stored, but this is not as easy to do as it is to describe. And instead of
    making additional coaster, just copy the CD's as an ISO image and create
    then CD's later.

    FYI: You don't need the CD's burned to install RH8, you can do this later.

    As long as the ISO images of the CD's are on a FAT32 partition you can
    install RH8 from them by following the directions here;

    [url]http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide/s1-begininstall-hd.html[/url]

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Lenard Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 Lenard wrote:

    >As long as the ISO images of the CD's are on a FAT32 partition you can
    >install RH8 from them by following the directions here;
    Yeah. And make sure you name the ISO's as follows

    shrike-i386-disc1.iso
    shrike-i386-disc2.iso
    shrike-i386-disc3.iso
    shrike-SRPMS-disc1.iso
    shrike-SRPMS-disc2.iso
    shrike-SRPMS-disc3.iso

    Something tells me it won't work otherwise.

    GL
    V.

    Vwakes Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 Vwakes wrote:
    >On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 Lenard wrote:
    >>
    >>As long as the ISO images of the CD's are on a FAT32 partition you can
    >>install RH8 from them by following the directions here;
    >
    >Yeah. And make sure you name the ISO's as follows
    >
    >shrike-i386-disc1.iso
    [...]

    My bad, it's RH 8.0, isn't it? So you have to

    psyche-i386-disc1.iso
    psyche-i386-disc2.iso
    psyche-i386-disc3.iso
    psyche-i386-disc4.iso
    psyche-i386-disc5.iso
    >Something tells me it won't work otherwise.
    Yeah

    V.
    Vwakes Guest

  7. #7

    It's a long story but I don't have the discs available to me. I only
    have the contents of the discs on my hard drive.
    Can you still help me?
    Alok

    Vwakes <vwakeNOSPAM100softhome.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.55.0309191525200.5270xnqnccn.cva rzna>...
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 Vwakes wrote:
    > >On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 Lenard wrote:
    > >>
    > >>As long as the ISO images of the CD's are on a FAT32 partition you can
    > >>install RH8 from them by following the directions here;
    > >
    > >Yeah. And make sure you name the ISO's as follows
    > >
    > >shrike-i386-disc1.iso
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > My bad, it's RH 8.0, isn't it? So you have to
    >
    > psyche-i386-disc1.iso
    > psyche-i386-disc2.iso
    > psyche-i386-disc3.iso
    > psyche-i386-disc4.iso
    > psyche-i386-disc5.iso
    >
    > >Something tells me it won't work otherwise.
    >
    > Yeah
    >
    > V.
    Alok Guest

  8. #8

    Alok wrote:
    > I don't have the images. I just copied the contents of the CDs onto my
    > hard disk, because the CDs weren't mine

    When you had the CDs, you could have created an ISO file of them and used
    that to make your own. However, all you have to do, is download the images
    and burn the CDs.

  9. #9

    Lenard wrote:
    >> I don't have the images. I just copied the contents of the CDs onto my
    >> hard disk, because the CDs weren't mine
    >
    > Borrow the CD's again, this time make ISO images of them, Nero can do this
    > just fine. Then you can burn the ISO's to CD's as you should have in the
    > first place. It's possible to make the CD's from the files you have
    > stored, but this is not as easy to do as it is to describe. And instead of
    > making additional coaster, just copy the CD's as an ISO image and create
    > then CD's later.

    One thing to watch for, is if they're Red Hat original CDs, with commercial
    software on them, he shouldn't be copying them at all. Disks made from
    downloaded images can be copied.

  10. #10

    James Knott wrote:
    > Lenard wrote:
    >

    >>>I don't have the images. I just copied the contents of the CDs onto my
    >>>hard disk, because the CDs weren't mine
    >>
    >>Borrow the CD's again, this time make ISO images of them, Nero can do this
    >>just fine. Then you can burn the ISO's to CD's as you should have in the
    >>first place. It's possible to make the CD's from the files you have
    >>stored, but this is not as easy to do as it is to describe. And instead of
    >>making additional coaster, just copy the CD's as an ISO image and create
    >>then CD's later.
    >>

    > One thing to watch for, is if they're Red Hat original CDs, with commercial
    > software on them, he shouldn't be copying them at all. Disks made from
    > downloaded images can be copied.
    The "you cannot copy commercial CD's" is a mistaken belief, founded on
    the licensing agreements and copycats for *most* CD's, but not true in
    this case since these downloadable images are identical to the disks
    sold with RedHat installation kits.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  11. #11

    In article <E43bb.74081$DZ.23331news04.bloor.is.net.cable.ro gers.com>,
    James Knott wrote:

    > One thing to watch for, is if they're Red Hat original CDs, with commercial
    > software on them, he shouldn't be copying them at all. Disks made from
    > downloaded images can be copied.
    What???

    I just reread the relevant portions of the RHL 8.0 license
    "agreement" and see nothing about not being allowed to copy
    the discs from the boxed set. The only thing prohibited is
    _selling_ something that contains or makes use of Redhat's
    trademarked images and name.

    Robert Riches
    [email]spamtrap42verizon.net[/email]
    Robert M. Riches Jr Guest

  12. #12

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 Alok wrote:
    >It's a long story but I don't have the discs available to me. I only
    >have the contents of the discs on my hard drive. Can you still help me?
    Well, you can still try. If you have the files for each disc in separate
    directories, you can create ISO image for each disc using some Win app I
    don't know which. I guess that should work.

    GL
    V.
    Vwakes Guest

  13. #13

    Alok wrote:
    > I need help to install RH8 on my PC:
    > P4 2.4 Ghz HT
    > 256 MB RAM
    > 40 GB pri Master
    > 4 GB pri. Slave
    >
    > I have the contents of all 5 RH8 Cds on my Hard disk, in their own
    > directories, with subdirectories.
    > How can i create iso images of these directories to use for a hard
    > disk install? My attempts are not recognised by the installation.
    > Are there some specific parameters to enter while creating the image
    > in Nero 5.5
    > Alternately is there another method to make the images out of the
    > directories?
    > Thanks
    > Alok

    I think you are out of luck, even if you could make iso's from the disk
    files, as the first iso will be missing it's boot sector and I believe even
    if you install from an iso on the hdd while using a boot floppy it still
    looks at information contained in the first iso's boot sector. Your best
    bet is to make iso's from valid cd's or download the iso's from redhat or a
    mirror.

    JD
    John Doe Guest