Professional Web Applications Themes

RH9.0 - kernel source directory and kernel config ? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I'm trying to install a wireless network card on my laptop, and one of the requirements is a kernel with: CONFIG_NET_RADIO enabled and CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS for wireless extentsions. I some websites I looked some people were mentioning about a .config file which would be able to tell me if these parameters were enable or not on the kernel. However I could not find such file in my system or any way to check the kernel configuration. How can I do that ? And also I find out that such parameters are not set, how to do ? The second thing ...

  1. #1

    Default RH9.0 - kernel source directory and kernel config ?

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install a wireless network card on my laptop, and one of the
    requirements is a kernel with:

    CONFIG_NET_RADIO enabled and CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS for wireless extentsions.

    I some websites I looked some people were mentioning about a .config file
    which would be able to tell me if these parameters were enable or not on the
    kernel. However I could not find such file in my system or any way to check
    the kernel configuration. How can I do that ? And also I find out that such
    parameters are not set, how to do ?

    The second thing is that I need a make a symbolic link to the kernel source
    directory... which according to some places I looked was supposed to be
    /usr/src/linux.
    However I have /usr/src/redhat and inside BUILD, RPMS, SOURCES, SPECS, SRPMS
    wich are all empty... So, where can I find these source files ???

    I'm using Red Hat 9.0 - 2.4.20-20.9 with KDE.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    --MD

    Marcio Guest

  2. #2

    Marcio DeBarros <gatech.edu> wrote:

    Don't worry about it. Any distro kernel will have these.

    Sure.

    Then look harder. Look in the package that your kernel came in. It will
    have the config file used to create that kernel!

    Eh? Recompile.

    No, it's wherever it is. And forget about it. You don't need it.

    What source files. The source files for the kernel are wherever you put
    them. Install the kernel source, and read the package manifest to
    discover where it is. Or put it where you like ...

    Tough.

    You seem to be confused about causality. Things are where you put them.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your answer, but I am still somehow confused. I know that things
    are "supposed to be where I put them", but
    when I was doing the installation, using the graphic interface of RedHat
    8.0, and now RedHat 9.0,
    the only thing I had to answer were in which partition I wanted to install
    the system, and from there,
    I only had to keep changing the CD's....

    "Peter T. Breuer" <it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
    news:it.uc3m.es... [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    extentsions. [/ref]
    file [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    check [/ref]
    such

    > Eh? Recompile.
    > [/ref]
    source

    > No, it's wherever it is. And forget about it. You don't need it.
    > [/ref]
    SRPMS

    > What source files. The source files for the kernel are wherever you put
    > them. Install the kernel source, and read the package manifest to
    > discover where it is. Or put it where you like ...

    > Tough.
    >
    > You seem to be confused about causality. Things are where you put them.
    >
    > Peter[/ref]

    Marcio Guest

  4. #4

    Marcio DeBarros wrote:

    Ignore Peter. He keeps trying to spooge his keyboard by insulting
    newbies, and pretending that his slight knowledge is somehow innately
    obvious to anyone else and they're stupid if they don't already know it.

    Wireless can be a bit of an adventure. While RedHat uses the
    kernel-pcmcia-cs package, they configure it rather differently, so most
    of the webpages on the Net are off-base for a default RedHat
    installation. When you need to join a wireless network, put the "KEY"
    and "SSID" information in /etc/sysconfig/network: the pcmcia or
    installed network hardware will detect them there for configuring your
    wireless port.

    RedHat publishes its kernel sources in a different RPM than the source
    itself. It's called "kernel-source-{version}.i386.rpm", and puts things
    in /usr/src/linux-{version}. It also puts a directory there called
    "configs" which has the base .config files for different RedHat
    published kernels.

    According to
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20.8/configs/kernel-2.4.20-i686.config, the
    CONFIG_NET_RADIO is on, but I don't see the CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS you
    mentioned. From a glance, it seems that enabling that option enables all
    the other wireless options, and it doesn't actually show up in the
    config file unless *disabled*.

    Nico Guest

  5. #5

    Marcio DeBarros wrote:

    .... is this because you need to do a kernel compile for
    the wireless card? dont take this the rwong way, but if
    you dont understand/know things such as symbolic links,
    you might be overwhelmed with kernel building.

    you prolly need a good, comprehensive b00k on Linux first :)
    ..
    Cabbage, n.: A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large
    and wise as a man's head. "The Devil's Dictionary"

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    My problem is now knowing how to make a symbolic link.What I am trying to
    install is a wireless card, which the driver needs some stuff need to be
    build. The instructions are fairly clear and they stuff that I can follow,
    however what is "cathcing" is that they mention some directories and files
    that I can not find in my system, which seems to be because differeces
    between deferent Linux distributions.

    The problem is not creating the link.
    "mjt" <com> wrote in message

    > ... is this because you need to do a kernel compile for
    > the wireless card? dont take this the rwong way, but if
    > you dont understand/know things such as symbolic links,
    > you might be overwhelmed with kernel building.
    >
    > you prolly need a good, comprehensive b00k on Linux first :)
    > .
    > --
    > /// Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver, \\\
    > \\\ and author: "Inside Linux", "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed" ///
    > Cabbage, n.: A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large
    > and wise as a man's head. "The Devil's Dictionary"
    >[/ref]

    Marcio Guest

  7. #7

    Marcio DeBarros wrote:

    OK, now I'm *really* confused. Please tell me you are not trying to
    build new kernels and the kernel-pcmcia-cs package from scratch, instead
    of from the RedHat "kernel-source" RPM. Despite the bundle of web pages
    whose authors did precisely this, I *don't* recommend it. Many of them
    Just Did It Wrong(tm), and succeeded only partially or by luck. If you
    want to make minimal changes to your computing environment, please use
    the kernel-source RPM and work from that.

    Nico Guest

  8. #8

    Marcio DeBarros <gatech.edu> wrote:

    Well, what packages did you choose to install, and where did the
    packages put their files? (hint: read the package contents list).

    (Please do not TOP POST! Thank you).

    You want to choose to install the/a kernel source, and then you want to
    choose to look at where its files are.

    Peter
    Peter Guest