Professional Web Applications Themes

RH9 install problems (with dual-boot laptop) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Last night I tried to dual boot my Fujitsu-Siemens S5582 Lifebook laptop with WinXP Pro and Red Hat 9. However, after sorting out the partitions (15Gb NTFS for XP, 15Gb shared FAT32 and 10Gb left for Linux) and installing XP, I booted off the RH9 install CD and started the graphical install. Everything seemed fine up to this point, some drivers were loaded, I skipped the CD media test and then it started Anaconda. This detected the video card (ATI Rage Mobility), an 'Unknown monitor' and a 3-button PS2 mouse. Then it said 'Waiting for X Server to start' and ...

  1. #1

    Default RH9 install problems (with dual-boot laptop)

    Last night I tried to dual boot my Fujitsu-Siemens S5582 Lifebook laptop
    with WinXP Pro and Red Hat 9. However, after sorting out the partitions
    (15Gb NTFS for XP, 15Gb shared FAT32 and 10Gb left for Linux) and installing
    XP, I booted off the RH9 install CD and started the graphical install.
    Everything seemed fine up to this point, some drivers were loaded, I skipped
    the CD media test and then it started Anaconda. This detected the video card
    (ATI Rage Mobility), an 'Unknown monitor' and a 3-button PS2 mouse. Then it
    said 'Waiting for X Server to start' and then the screen bloomed and went
    totally white - the CD was still being access and the hard drive was ticking
    away, but nothing on the screen but a scary white. I then reverted to
    'Windows user' and Ctrl-Alt-Del'd and this went back to the install screen,
    showing '1...2...3...4...5 X Server started successfully' and then proceeded
    to shutdown. I thought it might be a graphics problem, so I started install
    with 'linux lowres', but it happened again.

    Any ideas on what might be going on?!

    Cheers,

    Tom

    Tom Crick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RH9 install problems (with dual-boot laptop)

    "Hagbard Celine" <choronzon11.kk> wrote in message
    > Tom Crick wrote:
    >
    > > Last night I tried to dual boot my Fujitsu-Siemens S5582 Lifebook laptop
    > > with WinXP Pro and Red Hat 9. However, after sorting out the partitions
    > > (15Gb NTFS for XP, 15Gb shared FAT32 and 10Gb left for Linux) and
    > > installing XP, I booted off the RH9 install CD and started the graphical
    > > install. Everything seemed fine up to this point, some drivers were
    > > loaded, I skipped the CD media test and then it started Anaconda. This
    > > detected the video card (ATI Rage Mobility), an 'Unknown monitor' and a
    > > 3-button PS2 mouse. Then it said 'Waiting for X Server to start' and
    then
    > > the screen bloomed and went totally white - the CD was still being
    access
    > > and the hard drive was ticking away, but nothing on the screen but a
    scary
    > > white. I then reverted to 'Windows user' and Ctrl-Alt-Del'd and this
    went
    > > back to the install screen, showing '1...2...3...4...5 X Server started
    > > successfully' and then proceeded to shutdown. I thought it might be a
    > > graphics problem, so I started install with 'linux lowres', but it
    > > happened again.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on what might be going on?!
    >
    > Your videocard flips for no reason? ;)
    >
    > Well, try this:
    >
    > [url]http://tinyurl.com/l0gq[/url]
    > and this to navigate:
    > [url]http://tinyurl.com/l0gt[/url]
    >
    > Empirically speaking, for some odd reason /some/ video-cards tend to barf
    at
    > the installation, but work like a charm once the OS is installed.
    >
    > Post if you need help!
    >
    > --
    > Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.10
    > Linux 2.6.0-test3-mm1 i686 AMD Athlon(TM)Processor GNU/Linux
    Hi,

    Thanks for your help - I used a friend's desktop monitor and plugged that in
    the back
    of the laptop and that went into the graphical install fine (but haven't
    installed it yet!).
    Obviously it detects the wrong monitor, but this shouldn't be a problem
    after install (?).

    Seems as if the LCD isn't being driven correctly, as it detected the correct
    graphics card
    which did surprise me a bit - the laptop is only a year or so old, so I
    thought RH9 would
    be ok with it. We'll see what happens!

    Regards,

    Tom

    Tom Crick Guest

  3. #3

    "Tom Crick" <cs1tcSPAM.bath.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > "Hagbard Celine" <choronzon11.kk> wrote in message
    > > Tom Crick wrote:
    > >
    > > > Last night I tried to dual boot my Fujitsu-Siemens S5582 Lifebook
    laptop
    > > > with WinXP Pro and Red Hat 9. However, after sorting out the
    partitions
    > > > (15Gb NTFS for XP, 15Gb shared FAT32 and 10Gb left for Linux) and
    > > > installing XP, I booted off the RH9 install CD and started the
    graphical
    > > > install. Everything seemed fine up to this point, some drivers were
    > > > loaded, I skipped the CD media test and then it started Anaconda. This
    > > > detected the video card (ATI Rage Mobility), an 'Unknown monitor' and
    > > > 3-button PS2 mouse. Then it said 'Waiting for X Server to start' and
    > then
    > > > the screen bloomed and went totally white - the CD was still being
    > access
    > > > and the hard drive was ticking away, but nothing on the screen but a
    > scary
    > > > white. I then reverted to 'Windows user' and Ctrl-Alt-Del'd and this
    > went
    > > > back to the install screen, showing '1...2...3...4...5 X Server
    started
    > > > successfully' and then proceeded to shutdown. I thought it might be a
    > > > graphics problem, so I started install with 'linux lowres', but it
    > > > happened again.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas on what might be going on?!
    > >
    > > Your videocard flips for no reason? ;)
    > >
    > > Well, try this:
    > >
    > > [url]http://tinyurl.com/l0gq[/url]
    > > and this to navigate:
    > > [url]http://tinyurl.com/l0gt[/url]
    > >
    > > Empirically speaking, for some odd reason /some/ video-cards tend to
    barf
    > at
    > > the installation, but work like a charm once the OS is installed.
    > >
    > > Post if you need help!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.10
    > > Linux 2.6.0-test3-mm1 i686 AMD Athlon(TM)Processor GNU/Linux
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for your help - I used a friend's desktop monitor and plugged that
    in
    > the back
    > of the laptop and that went into the graphical install fine (but haven't
    > installed it yet!).
    > Obviously it detects the wrong monitor, but this shouldn't be a problem
    > after install (?).
    >
    > Seems as if the LCD isn't being driven correctly, as it detected the
    correct
    > graphics card
    > which did surprise me a bit - the laptop is only a year or so old, so I
    > thought RH9 would
    > be ok with it. We'll see what happens!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tom

    It's ok now - at the end of the install it asks you to confirm your monitor,
    so I changed it to a generic laptop display panel and it booted and loaded
    fine. Thanks!

    Long live Red Hat 9.

    Tom

    Tom Crick Guest