Professional Web Applications Themes

RH9: Upgrading kernel -- which RPM's to install? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I'm all confused and scared with having to upgrade the kernel. In particular, I read in RedHat's update instructions that I should *install* the newer kernel in addition to the old one, and manually adjust lilo.conf or grub.conf Ok. But how do I know which file do I have to use?? I downloaded the .i386.rpm files, but then I'm not totally sure that this is the right file. In particular, should I choose the number according to the processor? Is i386 the "safe choice" that will be compatible with any processor above it? If I run "uname -a", it ...

  1. #1

    Default RH9: Upgrading kernel -- which RPM's to install?

    Hi,

    I'm all confused and scared with having to upgrade the
    kernel.

    In particular, I read in RedHat's update instructions
    that I should *install* the newer kernel in addition to
    the old one, and manually adjust lilo.conf or grub.conf

    Ok. But how do I know which file do I have to use??
    I downloaded the .i386.rpm files, but then I'm not
    totally sure that this is the right file.

    In particular, should I choose the number according to
    the processor? Is i386 the "safe choice" that will be
    compatible with any processor above it?

    If I run "uname -a", it shows a bunch of items, some of
    which indicate i386, and some indicate i686 (my machine
    is an Athlon XP).

    If I run this command on another machine (a dual Athlon),
    it outputs:

    Linux [...] 2.4.18-3smp #1 SMP [...] i686 unknown

    So, does that mean that I can use the update:

    kernel-smp-2.4.20-24.9.i686.rpm ?

    What if I use kernel-smp-2.4.20-24.9.athlon.rpm ?? Will
    it work? Will it work better?

    The reason I ask, instead of trying-and-erring, is that
    some of the machines we have are actual servers, running
    actual services to our clients, and I don't want to risk
    a major catastrophe. Even trying with a local machine
    won't necessarily lead me to any solid conclusions.

    I'm hoping some kind soul will give me a hand with this,
    or point me to some doentation that explains this a
    bit more in detail than the update doents at RH.

    Thanks!

    Carlos
    --

    Carlos Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RH9: Upgrading kernel -- which RPM's to install?

    Carlos Moreno wrote:

    Use the up2date program, it takes care of all the scary stuff for you.

    You should use the kernel-*.athlon.rpm files on any AMD Athlon or Duron
    machine.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    fi

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bill Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Markku Kolkka wrote:

    > Use the up2date program, it takes care of all the scary stuff for you.[/ref]

    I have successfully used up2date on my desktop machine,
    but I thought up2date would only run in graphical mode
    (I just tested on my home gateway machine -- also a
    RH Linux 9 machine, without X-window -- and up2date
    does run... except that it hangs, but I guess that
    may be some other problem entirely...)

    I guess I could try running this up2date agent, and if
    it doesn't work well, I could follow your advice and
    also Bill Unruh's advice and update the kernel
    manually.

    Thanks!

    Carlos
    --

    Carlos Guest

  5. #5

    "Bill Unruh" <physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message

    This is an overly broad statement that hasn't been true for a number of
    versions.

    All RPMs are compiled with i686 ordering and most are compiled with i386
    only instructions. Some RPMs benefit from being compiled for a specific
    processor, so they are. The kernel, glibc, and openssl come to mind.
    Installing the i386 versions of these on an i686 machine can cause anything
    from degraded performance (you definitely lose NPTL) to a hosed system (a
    bug in glibc which was fixed in a current errata).

    --
    William Hooper

    If you're not on somebody's list, you're not doing anything worthwhile.

    William Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 at 21:27 GMT, Carlos Moreno eloquently wrote:

    >> Use the up2date program, it takes care of all the scary stuff for you.[/ref]
    >
    > I have successfully used up2date on my desktop machine,
    > but I thought up2date would only run in graphical mode[/ref]
    To use it without X try up2date-nox.

    N.Emile...
    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
    Certified: 75% , 42% of which is tard. | '.invalid'

  7. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Upgrading kernel -- which RPM's to install?

    Removed by Administrator
    Nico Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    "ne..." <net.invalid> wrote in message

    > > I have successfully used up2date on my desktop machine,
    > > but I thought up2date would only run in graphical mode[/ref]
    > To use it without X try up2date-nox.[/ref]

    Or use the very nice "autorpm" tool from www.autorpm.org. I like it a lot.
    By default it doesn't touch kernels, but that can be enabled in the
    /etc/autorpm.d/* config files.

    Nico Guest