Professional Web Applications Themes

Rich for the not. - Macromedia Flex General Discussion

I have a simple question. I hear 'rich' all the time and it is getting me. I am a small business owner who just wants to be able to use online ordering, It would involve a simple UI that can remember information the user entered in the past.. This is very like Yahoo's email application when entering an address in the To: field and it giving you a string . Please the quick and simple answer will do... Ajax whatever is an option, but is costly. :embarrassment;...

  1. #1

    Default Rich for the not.

    I have a simple question. I hear 'rich' all the time and it is getting me. I am
    a small business owner who just wants to be able to use online ordering, It
    would involve a simple UI that can remember information the user entered in the
    past.. This is very like Yahoo's email application when entering an address in
    the To: field and it giving you a string .

    Please the quick and simple answer will do... Ajax whatever is an option, but
    is costly.
    :embarrassment;

    SonixLLC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rich for the not.

    It sounds like your focus should be on the back-end business logic tier.

    Flex is still a great way to create the UI. If it does not need to be fancy,
    then Flex's strength can give you a simple UI that will work dependably on all
    browsers and give it to you fast (cheap).

    But Flex won't help any with the commerce side. If you have limited resources
    (monetary, technical, time), you might consider an off-the-shelf eCommerce
    solution. Such a solution would not be y, but the "rich" in RIA is for
    those for whom a "simple UI" is no longer sufficient. Think of your business
    first.

    Tracy

    ntsiii Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry to bring this one from the dead, but I have created a simple Flex client
    app that has most of the information I want and I think will add value for my
    customers. It just allows a user to create(form) and track deliveries(data
    grid) with email update alerts from contacts lists.

    If I am understand things I now need a Web Service to supply the data the
    client consumes and don't really need the Ajax, just load on call (click or at
    load).

    It would involve a DB with business logic(not sure yet how involved). But I
    think I will outsource it. If I demonstrate what I want done to a developer
    will he/she be able to come up with an estimate?

    SonixLLC Guest

  4. #4

    I strongly advise HTTPService. Web services have a significant complexity and
    subsequent performance degredation in order to support consumption by third
    parties (uddi, etc).

    If you have control over both the client and the server, and do not plan on
    publishing your server-side functionality to external users, Use HTTPService.
    It is much simpler to code and maintain, and is a bit faster than a web service.

    If you can clearly define your requirements, I will look at quoting the
    project for you. Contact me off-list if you wish.

    Tracy

    ntsiii Guest