Professional Web Applications Themes

rms on the evils of closed source software - UNIX Programming

MyDoom and you ] Topics: Security , Government and Regulatory , Software , Business Richard Stallman Feb 17 2004 I grew up in a community whose other members committed crimes as serious as murder .. [..] Despite these prevalent evils, never in my life have I seen anyone try to condemn all New Yorkers on the basis of the wrongs that only some have committed .. [..] However, people don't always remember to apply the principle. My virtual community, the free software community which I have helped to build since 20 years ago by developing the GNU operating system, is ...

  1. #1

    Default rms on the evils of closed source software

    MyDoom and you

    ]
    Topics: Security , Government and Regulatory , Software , Business
    Richard Stallman Feb 17 2004

    I grew up in a community whose other members committed crimes as
    serious
    as murder ..

    [..]

    Despite these prevalent evils, never in my life have I seen anyone try
    to condemn all New Yorkers on the basis of the wrongs that only some
    have committed ..

    [..]

    However, people don't always remember to apply the principle. My
    virtual
    community, the free software community which I have helped to build
    since 20 years ago by developing the GNU operating system, is now the
    victim of a campaign of guilt by association. A number of articles --
    have seen some -- have tried to hold our entire community guilty for
    the
    development of the MyDoom virus.

    We can be pretty sure that some New Yorkers have committed murder,
    because they have been tried and convicted for it. We do not know
    whether anyone in the free software community participated in the
    development of MyDoom. The developers have not been identified; they
    know who they are, but you and I else can only speculate ..

    [..]

    Copyright 2004 Richard Stallman

    Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article are permitted
    irrevocably without royalty in any medium provided this notice is
    preserved.

    http://www.newsforge.com/software/04/02/17/1828226.shtml?tid=110&tid=78&tid=82&tid=85
    Daeron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: rms on the evils of closed source software

    co.uk (Daeron) writes:

    [...]

    For people who actually know him, is this the way he really talks? For
    example, the "... since 20 years ago ..." doesn't sound like something
    a native speaker of English would say. And does RMS really refer to
    "... the GNU operating system ..."?

    And would he really make a comparison like

    "I have not seen anyone assume that all the citizens of New York are
    guilty of murder, violence, robbery, perjury, or writing
    proprietary software."

    Does RMS really equate writing proprietary software with murder, etc?

    And what is this supposed to mean?

    "I now live in the smaller city of Cambridge, Mass. Murder and
    robbery occur there, too; I do not know if Cambridge police
    regularly lie in court, but proprietary software is rife."

    Just curious. April 1st is too far away to assume that's the reason
    for these nearly incoherent remarks.

    Joe
    --
    "I didn't really say everything I said."
    - Yogi Berra

  3. #3

    address writes:

    > [...]

    > For people who actually know him, is this the way he really talks? For
    > example, the "... since 20 years ago ..." doesn't sound like something
    > a native speaker of English would say. And does RMS really refer to
    > "... the GNU operating system ..."?
    >
    > And would he really make a comparison like
    >
    > "I have not seen anyone assume that all the citizens of New York are
    > guilty of murder, violence, robbery, perjury, or writing
    > proprietary software."
    >
    > Does RMS really equate writing proprietary software with murder, etc?
    >
    > And what is this supposed to mean?
    >
    > "I now live in the smaller city of Cambridge, Mass. Murder and
    > robbery occur there, too; I do not know if Cambridge police
    > regularly lie in court, but proprietary software is rife."
    >
    > Just curious. April 1st is too far away to assume that's the reason
    > for these nearly incoherent remarks.
    >
    > Joe
    > --
    > "I didn't really say everything I said."
    > - Yogi Berra[/ref]

    haven't seen revolution OS have you? :)

    btw, he is not the only one that refers to Linux as GNU/Linux, since
    most of the software you use under Linux is written by the GNU project,
    no thats too soft, without the GNU project you wouldn't have Linux PERIOD.

    ----
    gabe
    gabe Guest

  4. #4

    gabe anzelini <org> writes:

    > > [...]
    > >

    > > For people who actually know him, is this the way he really talks? For
    > > example, the "... since 20 years ago ..." doesn't sound like something
    > > a native speaker of English would say. And does RMS really refer to
    > > "... the GNU operating system ..."?
    > >
    > > And would he really make a comparison like
    > >
    > > "I have not seen anyone assume that all the citizens of New York
    > > are guilty of murder, violence, robbery, perjury, or writing
    > > proprietary software."
    > >
    > > Does RMS really equate writing proprietary software with murder,
    > > etc?
    > >
    > > And what is this supposed to mean?
    > >
    > > "I now live in the smaller city of Cambridge, Mass. Murder and
    > > robbery occur there, too; I do not know if Cambridge police
    > > regularly lie in court, but proprietary software is rife."
    > >
    > > Just curious. April 1st is too far away to assume that's the
    > > reason for these nearly incoherent remarks.[/ref][/ref]

    Guess not.

    I'm not disparaging him. I'm using a GPL mail client which runs in a
    GPL editor, running on a GPL operating system. I'm not attacking him.
    While I do have some differences of opinion with him, I appreciate
    what he's done for free software, and I'm happy he did it.

    What I was asking is, did he really say this stuff? What I've seen
    from him before seems more cogent than this. For example, does he
    really equate proprietary software with murder?

    Joe

  5. #5

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, gabe anzelini wrote:

    How ironic, then, that the University of California, Berkeley,
    followed by Sun Microsystems, are the two largest donators of
    source code to the open source community. The FSF is way down
    the list.

    So why not call it BSD/Linux? ;-)

    And the bad news would be...?

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    Rich Guest

  6. #6

    address writes:

    Only insofar as non-free software and murder are both subsets of
    evil, if I'm understanding his newsforge article.
    Billy Guest

  7. #7

    Rich Teer <com> writes:

    > How ironic, then, that the University of California, Berkeley,
    > followed by Sun Microsystems, are the two largest donators of
    > source code to the open source community. The FSF is way down
    > the list.[/ref]

    How so? UCB may have donated a lot of code in the past,
    but they abandoned BSD years ago. In contrast, the FSF
    continues to maintain the GNU code, and all of today's
    BSD systems are just as dependent on gcc as Linux is.

    -SEan
    Sean Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Sean Burke wrote:

    Agreed - but I guess that the amount of code they (the FSF)
    maintains is still not as large as the amount provided by
    UCB.

    I agree (but I wouldn't be surprised if there was another
    free C copmiler out there, albeit not as advanced as gcc).

    I don't disagree that the FSF has contributed a lot to the
    open source movement - I just take umbrage at the implication
    that they donated most or all of it.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    Rich Guest

  9. #9

    In article <address>, address wrote:

    Of course not. He was just making a point about treating the activities
    of a segment of the community as representative of the community as a
    whole, by using an absurd ogy.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  10. #10

    Actually the BSD camp has been working on tundra for a while now. Checkout
    http://www.tendra.org/ I hear it can build FreeBSD now

    - RB

    --
    Rodrick R. Brown - Sr. Unix Systems Admin
    rbrown[(at)]rodrickbrown.com

    "Rich Teer" <com> wrote in message

    > Agreed - but I guess that the amount of code they (the FSF)
    > maintains is still not as large as the amount provided by
    > UCB.

    > I agree (but I wouldn't be surprised if there was another
    > free C copmiler out there, albeit not as advanced as gcc).
    >
    > I don't disagree that the FSF has contributed a lot to the
    > open source movement - I just take umbrage at the implication
    > that they donated most or all of it.
    >
    > --
    > Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA
    >
    > President,