Professional Web Applications Themes

Root login on NIS Client - Sun Solaris

I have a Linux Server for my NIS domain, whem it goes out(reboot or stop the service) my Solaris Client cant login as root , what i have to do to log with root(i have a /etc/passwd with root login and password)??...

  1. #1

    Default Root login on NIS Client

    I have a Linux Server for my NIS domain, whem it goes out(reboot or
    stop the service) my Solaris Client cant login as root , what i have
    to do to log with root(i have a /etc/passwd with root login and
    password)??
    Fausto Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Root login on NIS Client

    Fausto <faustopix.com.br> wrote:
    > I have a Linux Server for my NIS domain, whem it goes out(reboot or
    > stop the service) my Solaris Client cant login as root , what i have
    > to do to log with root(i have a /etc/passwd with root login and
    > password)??
    What does "can't login" mean?

    Do you get "Login incorrect", or do you type in the password and it
    hangs, or do you get messages or what?

    Is NIS the only dependency that the other box runs? It doesn't serve
    NFS to this machine does it?

    --
    Darren Dunham [email]ddunhamtaos.com[/email]
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  4. #4

    Darren Dunham <ddunhamredwood.taos.com> wrote in message news:<Qx2Ua.1258$n25.23700699newssvr14.news.prodi gy.com>...
    > Fausto <faustopix.com.br> wrote:
    > > I have a Linux Server for my NIS domain, whem it goes out(reboot or
    > > stop the service) my Solaris Client cant login as root , what i have
    > > to do to log with root(i have a /etc/passwd with root login and
    > > password)??
    >
    > What does "can't login" mean?
    >
    > Do you get "Login incorrect", or do you type in the password and it
    > hangs, or do you get messages or what?
    >
    > Is NIS the only dependency that the other box runs? It doesn't serve
    > NFS to this machine does it?
    When i put root and the password it hangs wainting , i do not get
    messages only it hangs.The machine do not serve NFS for the clients
    only NIS..
    Fausto Guest

  5. #5

    Darren Dunham wrote:
    > Fausto <faustopix.com.br> wrote:
    >> When i put root and the password it hangs wainting , i do not get
    >> messages only it hangs.The machine do not serve NFS for the clients
    >> only NIS..
    >
    > My assumption is that technically the login succeeds, but something
    > spawned by the login is hanging.
    >
    > If possible, I'd log into the box, open a window, and do a 'exec login'.
    > In another window, run a truss on the login process. Then, pull the
    > cable or otherwise make the NIS server unavailable. Now login as root
    > in that other window.
    >
    > You might want to do that twice: once with, and once without NIS
    > present. See if the truss shows anything interesting being spawned
    > which hangs.
    >
    > quota is often a problem, but this one doesn't sound like it.

    Another cause could be something [that probably shouldn't be
    there] that causes an nfs mount and the particular server isn't
    responding. The worst instance I can remember of this was
    on an NIS server where the maps had been placed on network
    storage and the NFS server with the maps physically resident
    was a client of that same NIS server. It all worked when
    migrated until the power went out and all servers had to
    be rebooted.

    Lon Stowell Guest

  6. #6