Professional Web Applications Themes

Rotating an imported w3d object - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi, I'm very new to Director but have used Flash a good amount in the past. As part of a project I need to put a 3D model (very simple geometry) on the web allowing users to rotate around it using whichever kind of input is easiest; keys, mouse movement, buttons in the movie etc. I have exported the model from Maya 4.5 using the w3d exporter and imported that into Director. It all seems good so far. I am having trouble, as a Director newbie, figuring out how to add controls to move the object and the info I've ...

  1. #1

    Default Rotating an imported w3d object

    Hi,

    I'm very new to Director but have used Flash a good amount in the past. As part of a project I need to put a 3D model (very simple geometry) on the web allowing users to rotate around it using whichever kind of input is easiest; keys, mouse movement, buttons in the movie etc.

    I have exported the model from Maya 4.5 using the w3d exporter and imported that into Director. It all seems good so far.

    I am having trouble, as a Director newbie, figuring out how to add controls to move the object and the info I've come across on the web is either vague, too indepth, or not relating exactly to my problem. I would have thought there would be plenty of info on this as its a common use for shockwave/director but its difficult to find anything clearly outlining what I'd need to do.

    Does anyone have any tips on how to go about this or link to some reading/tutorial that would cover this?

    Thanks for your help.

    Thom

    ThomH webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rotating an imported w3d object

    1. Drag'n'drop the "Drag Model to Rotate" behavior from the Actions pane of
    the standard 3D behavior lib. Give an arbitrary name to the group : my_group

    2. Drag'n'drop the Mouse Left behavior from the Triggers pane of the
    standard 3D behavior lib. Select an action to be executed when the left
    mouse button is pressed.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Thom,

    I was in the same position as you a while back. I found the following
    tutorials were invaluable in getting up to speed with the features of
    Director.

    [url]http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/Learning/Director/[/url]

    Hope it helps,

    Regards,

    Andy.

    "ThomH" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm very new to Director but have used Flash a good amount in the past. As
    part of a project I need to put a 3D model (very simple geometry) on the web
    allowing users to rotate around it using whichever kind of input is easiest;
    keys, mouse movement, buttons in the movie etc.

    > I have exported the model from Maya 4.5 using the w3d exporter and
    imported that into Director. It all seems good so far.

    > I am having trouble, as a Director newbie, figuring out how to add
    controls to move the object and the info I've come across on the web is
    either vague, too indepth, or not relating exactly to my problem. I would
    have thought there would be plenty of info on this as its a common use for
    shockwave/director but its difficult to find anything clearly outlining what
    I'd need to do.

    > Does anyone have any tips on how to go about this or link to some
    reading/tutorial that would cover this?

    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Thom

    Andy Guest