Professional Web Applications Themes

Rotating Images (and their Thumbnails) Efficiently. Help! - Mac Applications & Software

Hi, I've decided to abandon iPhoto, mainly because of the speed. I'm now using Photoshop Elements. However, I'm encountering a problem. In Elements, if you rotate a thumbnail, the file itself isn't actually rotated until it is opened and saved. Is there another utility, script, app, that will allow you to -- with one command -- rotate a series of selected images and their thumbnails? I've tried QPict, but after executing a rotate and thumbnail update to any given file, that file will not be rotated when viewed in another app. I wanted to bulk rotate and update the thumbnails ...

  1. #1

    Default Rotating Images (and their Thumbnails) Efficiently. Help!

    Hi,

    I've decided to abandon iPhoto, mainly because of the speed.

    I'm now using Photoshop Elements. However, I'm encountering a
    problem. In Elements, if you rotate a thumbnail, the file itself
    isn't actually rotated until it is opened and saved. Is there another
    utility, script, app, that will allow you to -- with one command --
    rotate a series of selected images and their thumbnails? I've tried
    QPict, but after executing a rotate and thumbnail update to any given
    file, that file will not be rotated when viewed in another app.

    I wanted to bulk rotate and update the thumbnails for a series of
    files (not just iPhoto's or some other app's REFERENCE to these files)
    -- how difficult can this be?!

    Help!

    Ted
    Denver, CO
    Ted Guest

  2. #2

    > I wanted to bulk rotate and update the thumbnails for a series of

    In iView MediaPro you drag a bunch of images (or a folder) onto a
    catalog window or icon, and all the images are rapidly cataloged.
    Thumbnails appear in the catalog window, or you can convert to a window
    containing a text listing of file names and paths, in either case with
    full sorting capabilities and easily selectable add'l data (file size,
    type, dimensions, etc).

    Click-select the images that need rotation (discontinuous select as
    needed), and a single menu command losslessly batch rotates them all.
    (In the non-current version I have this is a bit slow; I understand the
    current version is much faster).

    As a check, Select All and rebuild all the thumbnails; it's very fast.

    Finally select and sort any subset of the images and Batch Rename with a
    selected text string containing an auto-incremented counter.

    After several years and several upgrades, I've yet to have any unhappy
    experiences with this program.
    AES/newspost Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Ted Pearlman) wrote:

    Use GraphicConverter.

    Drag the folder containing the photos onto GraphicConverter's icon, or
    locate the folder in GC's Browser. Select the photos you want to
    rotate. Use one of the Rotate commands via keyboard shortcut, Picture
    menu, or contextual menu. It'll rotate both the image and the
    thumbnail/preview.
    Wayne Guest

  4. #4

    I took your advice and went with iView Media Pro. It's fantastic.
    Did everything I needed it to do and clearly does much more...

    Thanks for the help!

    AES/newspost <edu> wrote in message news:<stanford.edu>...

    > In iView MediaPro you drag a bunch of images (or a folder) onto a
    > catalog window or icon, and all the images are rapidly cataloged.
    > Thumbnails appear in the catalog window, or you can convert to a window
    > containing a text listing of file names and paths, in either case with
    > full sorting capabilities and easily selectable add'l data (file size,
    > type, dimensions, etc).
    >
    > Click-select the images that need rotation (discontinuous select as
    > needed), and a single menu command losslessly batch rotates them all.
    > (In the non-current version I have this is a bit slow; I understand the
    > current version is much faster).
    >
    > As a check, Select All and rebuild all the thumbnails; it's very fast.
    >
    > Finally select and sort any subset of the images and Batch Rename with a
    > selected text string containing an auto-incremented counter.
    >
    > After several years and several upgrades, I've yet to have any unhappy
    > experiences with this program.[/ref]
    Ted Guest