Professional Web Applications Themes

route dropped when WAN goes down - SCO

I have an application that is communicating with a remote SCO Unix server. The SCO server has multiple network interfaces and we are not on the default interface so a static route has been added to /etc/tcp. Our WAN connection to this server is down frequently. After many (but not all) of the network outages the static route to our system is missing (netstat -rn | grep my-ip-address). Is this known behavior (dropping a route if the network is unreachable)? If so are there any options to the route add command to change this behavior? The remote SCO server is ...

  1. #1

    Default route dropped when WAN goes down

    I have an application that is communicating with a remote SCO Unix
    server. The SCO server has multiple network interfaces and we are not
    on the default interface so a static route has been added to /etc/tcp.
    Our WAN connection to this server is down frequently. After many (but
    not all) of the network outages the static route to our system is
    missing (netstat -rn | grep my-ip-address).

    Is this known behavior (dropping a route if the network is
    unreachable)?
    If so are there any options to the route add command to change this
    behavior?

    The remote SCO server is not mine, but the admins have been supportive
    in trying to resolve the issue. They just don't know how to deal with
    the dropped route except to readd the route when we call.

    joe
    Joe Nall Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: route dropped when WAN goes down

    On 20 Aug 2003 15:49:11 -0700, [email]joenall.com[/email] (Joe Nall) wrote:
    >I have an application that is communicating with a remote SCO Unix
    >server. The SCO server has multiple network interfaces and we are not
    >on the default interface so a static route has been added to /etc/tcp.
    >Our WAN connection to this server is down frequently. After many (but
    >not all) of the network outages the static route to our system is
    >missing (netstat -rn | grep my-ip-address).
    >
    >Is this known behavior (dropping a route if the network is
    >unreachable)?
    Yep, depending on whether the router was static or dynamic.
    If the route was established through an RIP-1 broadcast from the
    router, the unspecified version of OSR5 will eventually time out.
    However, the static default route should not time out unless
    overscribbled by a RIP broadcast announcing a different default route.
    This is what is probably happening. There is some contraption on your
    knotwork that is belching RIP broadcasts and OSR5 is doing its best to
    follow instructions.

    If you don't need RIP-1 capabilities on the OSR5 box (i.e you only
    have one route to the internet), then simply kill and disable the
    routed daemon which is really RIP with a goofy name. Edit the file:
    /etc/tcp
    and comment out the lines that start routed. If this is a 3.2v5.0.6
    or later box, then the proceedure is somewhat different and can be
    excavated from somewhere on:
    [url]http://support.sco.com[/url]
    Never mind. Nothing there thanks to SCO removing all the old TA's.
    Instead see:
    [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec4.html#defaultroute[/url]
    >If so are there any options to the route add command to change this
    >behavior?
    Oh probably. However, it would be interesting to first see what
    you're using. Something like:
    route add default ip_address_of_router
    should be sufficient.
    >The remote SCO server is not mine, but the admins have been supportive
    >in trying to resolve the issue. They just don't know how to deal with
    >the dropped route except to readd the route when we call.

    # 831.336.2558 voice [url]http://www.LearnByDestroying.com[/url]
    # [email]jefflcomix.santa-cruz.ca.us[/email]
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager [email]jefflcruzio.com[/email] AE6KS
    Jeff Liebermann Guest

  3. #3

    Joe Nall <joenall.com> wrote:
    >uname -a
    >SCO_SV 3.2 5.06 i386
    >> Oh probably. However, it would be interesting to first see what
    >> you're using. Something like:
    >> route add default ip_address_of_router
    >> should be sufficient.
    >They are remote, so I can't verify this, but I was told:
    >/etc/route add <my-ip> <their-router-ip> >/dev/null 2>&1
    >was added to /etc/tcp
    Which is about the worst possible place to do it, especially
    for 5.0.6.

    See [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_defaultroute.html[/url]

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  4. #4

    On 21 Aug 2003 05:17:15 -0700, [email]joenall.com[/email] (Joe Nall) wrote:
    >Jeff Liebermann <jefflcomix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<0h88kv03uf3oa1coo3svfkttj8c2hd80o44ax.com>. ..
    >
    >> Yep, depending on whether the router was static or dynamic.
    I need a proof reader. That should be "route", not "router". Argh.
    >I'm told that routed is not running
    Run:
    ps -ef | grep routed
    If routed is running, disarm the monster.
    >and that our route is
    >the only one that is being lost.
    >The default route is to the other network.
    OK. You have a static route established somewhere. I'll assume that
    the default route is still intact after the static route is being
    trashed. I'm still partial to adding it to the file:
    /etc/rc2.d/S99route
    Since I have no clue if your added route is for a -host or a -net, I
    can't supply a suitable example. There is a flag to make the route
    permanent.
    [url]http://osr5doc.ca.caldera.com:457/cgi-bin/man/man?route+ADMN[/url]
    Methinks the
    -expire 0
    option might work. I've never tried it.
    >uname -a
    >SCO_SV 3.2 5.06 i386
    See:
    [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_defaultroute.html[/url]
    >They are remote, so I can't verify this, but I was told:
    >/etc/route add <my-ip> <their-router-ip> >/dev/null 2>&1
    >was added to /etc/tcp
    No. Don't add a static route to /etc/tcp. Use or add a file
    something like:
    /etc/rc2.d/S99route

    Incidentally, if you're hacking away remotely, do *NOT* run:
    route flush
    That will vaporize all routes, including the route you're using to get
    to the server. You'll find youself disconnected until a reboot can be
    scheduled.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home

  5. #5

    Jeff Liebermann <jefflcomix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<02t9kvg4q53u13ra89jsdr52p6hb4ov0lj4ax.com>. ..
    > Run:
    > ps -ef | grep routed
    > If routed is running, disarm the monster.
    Had them do that this moning - no routed
    /etc/tcp does not launch routed
    > OK. You have a static route established somewhere. I'll assume that
    > the default route is still intact after the static route is being
    > trashed.
    Correct, a number of other static routes are still intact also.
    > Since I have no clue if your added route is for a -host or a -net, I
    > can't supply a suitable example. There is a flag to make the route
    > permanent.
    > [url]http://osr5doc.ca.caldera.com:457/cgi-bin/man/man?route+ADMN[/url]
    > Methinks the
    > -expire 0
    > option might work.
    I'm going to ask them to try:
    /etc/route add -lock -expire 0 -host <my-ip> <gateway-ip>

    They are running "route monitor" right now in the hope that it will
    point to why the routing table is being modified.
    > Incidentally, if you're hacking away remotely, do *NOT* run:
    > route flush
    > That will vaporize all routes,
    good advice :)

    joe
    Joe Nall Guest

  6. #6

    On 21 Aug 2003 14:21:51 -0700, [email]joenall.com[/email] (Joe Nall) wrote:
    >Had them do that this moning - no routed
    >/etc/tcp does not launch routed
    It's in there somewhere. Try:
    /etc/default/tcp
    for hints. If routed is NOT running, my guess(tm) as to what's
    happening is probably wrong. However, the route could be simply
    timing out when the link drops. As you indicate, try the various
    route command options.
    >I'm going to ask them to try:
    >/etc/route add -lock -expire 0 -host <my-ip> <gateway-ip>
    Sounds reasonable.
    >They are running "route monitor" right now in the hope that it will
    >point to why the routing table is being modified.
    Good idea. However, monitoring is best done with a script. Something
    like:

    while :
    do
    date >> /tmp/route.log
    route monitor >> /tmp/route.log
    netstat -rn >> /tmp/route.log
    sleep 60
    done

    The timing is the key, where whatever else was happening on the
    network at the same time is the probable culprit. I had a similar
    headache that was traced to some experimental software going insane on
    startup on a different machine.

  7. #7

    [email]joenall.com[/email] (Joe Nall) wrote in message news:<9d1ed006.0308211321.71d7fc3dposting.google. com>...
    > They are running "route monitor" right now in the hope that it will
    > point to why the routing table is being modified.
    Here is their report on /etc/route -n monitor while the route was
    being dropped
    (hand typed):

    RTM_CHANGE: change metrics or flags
    len: 136 pid: 0 seq: 0 errno: 0

    flags: <GATEWAY, HOSTS, DONE>
    proto: age: (number varies)
    sockaddres;<DST, GATEWAY> (MY-IP) (IP2) (IP3)

    RTM_MISS: Look up failed on the address
    len: 104 pid: 0 seq: 0 errno: 117

    flags: <DONE>
    proto: age: (number varies)
    locks: , inits:
    sockaddres;<DST> (MY-IP)

    Where (MY-IP) is the IP address of my server (the one whose route is
    being dropped). Any interpretation would be appreciated.

    They swear routed is not running.

    joe
    Joe Nall Guest

  8. #8

    On 21 Aug 2003 19:20:01 -0700, [email]joenall.com[/email] (Joe Nall) wrote:
    >joenall.com (Joe Nall) wrote in message news:<9d1ed006.0308211321.71d7fc3dposting.google. com>...
    >> They are running "route monitor" right now in the hope that it will
    >> point to why the routing table is being modified.
    >
    >Here is their report on /etc/route -n monitor while the route was
    >being dropped
    >(hand typed):
    >
    >RTM_CHANGE: change metrics or flags
    >len: 136 pid: 0 seq: 0 errno: 0
    >
    >flags: <GATEWAY, HOSTS, DONE>
    >proto: age: (number varies)
    >sockaddres;<DST, GATEWAY> (MY-IP) (IP2) (IP3)
    >Where (MY-IP) is the IP address of my server (the one whose route is
    >being dropped). Any interpretation would be appreciated.
    Not much useful there. What is IP2 and IP3? Are there two ethernet
    cards in this box with ipredirects (IP forwarding) enabled between the
    two cards? My guess(tm) is that the change involved the route between
    the two cards (IP2 and IP3). Otherwise, could you dummy up some IP
    addresses instead of variables? My brain works better without the
    symbolics.
    >They swear routed is not running.
    OK, let's assume that they're right. (Assumption, the mother off all
    ups). Any chance that they're running gated instead of routed?
    It would also show up in the process table as:
    ps -ef | grep "gated" (actually in.gated)
    See:
    [url]http://osr5doc.ca.caldera.com:457/cgi-bin/man/man?gated+ADMN[/url]

    Someone has to be running RIP. So, let's go shopping for the culprit.
    Run:
    ripquery -n gateway_IP_address
    ripquery -n local_IP_address
    If you get "connection refused" or something similar, it's not running
    RIP 2. Also try the -1 flag in case it's running RIP 1. Try every IP
    address on your LAN. Devices running either routed or gated will
    respond.
    [url]http://osr5doc.ca.caldera.com:457/cgi-bin/man/man?ripquery+ADMN[/url]

  9. #9

    Jeff Liebermann <jefflcomix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<4d7bkvkorf3b6anl023fvomij6fpm129294ax.com>. ..
    > ups). Any chance that they're running gated instead of routed?
    > It would also show up in the process table as:
    > ps -ef | grep "gated" (actually in.gated)
    I had them check, they found the 'grep gated' process - but no
    in.gated.
    > Someone has to be running RIP. So, let's go shopping for the culprit.
    > Run:
    > ripquery -n gateway_IP_address
    > ripquery -n local_IP_address
    > If you get "connection refused" or something similar, it's not running
    > RIP 2. Also try the -1 flag in case it's running RIP 1. Try every IP
    > address on your LAN.
    They say that there is no response at all. Just a return to the
    command prompt.

    Since this is really affecting business, I'm going to recommend
    installing a cron job that will test for the correct route and reload
    it as required while we hunt for the culprit. Ugly, but it should be
    effective.

    joe
    Joe Nall Guest

  10. #10

    On 22 Aug 2003 13:58:43 -0700, [email]joenall.com[/email] (Joe Nall) wrote:
    >Jeff Liebermann <jefflcomix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<4d7bkvkorf3b6anl023fvomij6fpm129294ax.com>. ..
    >Since this is really affecting business, I'm going to recommend
    >installing a cron job that will test for the correct route and reload
    >it as required while we hunt for the culprit. Ugly, but it should be
    >effective.
    >joe
    Sigh. Sorry, I'm out of ideas that can be tested remotely. My next
    step would be a packet sniffer synchronized with
    route -n monitor
    to catch when the route changed. The idea is to identify the source
    of the packets. However, without RIP running, I can't see how the
    route is being changed externally. Dunno.