Professional Web Applications Themes

Roxio Toast 5 and cheap DVDs - Mac Applications & Software

I just had another failure, the third! Anyhow, I did get the error panel this time: The drive reported an error: Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR Sense Code = 0x03 I guess I am still wondering if this is the DVDs or the drive. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 net [Mac] com [Office]...

  1. #1

    Default Roxio Toast 5 and cheap DVDs

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    net [Mac]
    com [Office]

    Robert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Roxio Toast 5 and cheap DVDs

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 23:21:11 GMT, Robert Peirce <net> wrote:

    Are you using DVD-R disks, or DVD+R disks?

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bj5t7b$da77e$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    > Are you using DVD-R disks, or DVD+R disks?
    >
    > Dave Hinz
    >[/ref]

    DVD-R. These have worked before. I got two clean writes, then a
    hardware failure, then two software failures that verified okay, then
    three hardware failures and a good write. I think I am batting a little
    over 50%.

  4. #4

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 01:04:33 GMT, Robert Peirce <net> wrote:

    > DVD-R. These have worked before. I got two clean writes, then a
    > hardware failure, then two software failures that verified okay, then
    > three hardware failures and a good write. I think I am batting a little
    > over 50%.[/ref]

    Expensive coasters you're making there...sounds like cheap DVD-R's aren't
    all that cheap after all. If nothing else, thanks for providing a
    counter-example of what not to do. What brand are these, that we should
    avoid please?

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bj65qq$fti81$news.uni-berlin.de>, Dave Hinz
    <net> wrote:

    > > DVD-R. These have worked before. I got two clean writes, then a
    > > hardware failure, then two software failures that verified okay, then
    > > three hardware failures and a good write. I think I am batting a little
    > > over 50%.[/ref]
    >
    > Expensive coasters you're making there...sounds like cheap DVD-R's aren't
    > all that cheap after all. If nothing else, thanks for providing a
    > counter-example of what not to do. What brand are these, that we should
    > avoid please?
    >[/ref]

    We've had bad results with some of the cheaper DVD-R media as well. We
    got a very good price on some Verbatims, though, at
    www.cdrdvdrmedia.com, and they've worked great. They were only about 5
    cents each more expensive than the "no-name" cheapies that gave us
    problems.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  6. #6

    In article <030920031917468620%com.invalid>,
    sbt <com.invalid> wrote:

    > > Expensive coasters you're making there...sounds like cheap DVD-R's aren't
    > > all that cheap after all. If nothing else, thanks for providing a
    > > counter-example of what not to do. What brand are these, that we should
    > > avoid please?
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > We've had bad results with some of the cheaper DVD-R media as well. We
    > got a very good price on some Verbatims, though, at
    > www.cdrdvdrmedia.com, and they've worked great. They were only about 5
    > cents each more expensive than the "no-name" cheapies that gave us
    > problems.[/ref]

    DVD disks for five cents?
    clw@oblivion.world Guest

  7. #7

    In article <pdx.net>,
    <world> wrote:

    > > We've had bad results with some of the cheaper DVD-R media as well. We
    > > got a very good price on some Verbatims, though, at
    > > www.cdrdvdrmedia.com, and they've worked great. They were only about 5
    > > cents each more expensive than the "no-name" cheapies that gave us
    > > problems.[/ref]
    >

    > DVD disks for five cents?[/ref]

    5 cents more than the no-name cheapies. Try reading a whole sentence.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  8. #8

    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    > > DVD-R. These have worked before. I got two clean writes, then a
    > > hardware failure, then two software failures that verified okay, then
    > > three hardware failures and a good write. I think I am batting a little
    > > over 50%.[/ref]
    >
    > Expensive coasters you're making there...sounds like cheap DVD-R's aren't
    > all that cheap after all. If nothing else, thanks for providing a
    > counter-example of what not to do. What brand are these, that we should
    > avoid please?
    >
    > Dave Hinz
    >[/ref]

    They are GVP. But, wait!! If I run Toast as root they seem to work
    okay. There may be a permission problem somewhere! However, until I
    burn more I won't really know.

    I have used Fuji and Verbatim with fine results. The jury is still out
    on GVP. The price is great at a hair over $1/blank in quantities of
    100, but the price isn't so great if you end up wasting a lot of them.

  9. #9

    In article <news.adelphia.net>,
    Robert Peirce <net> wrote:

    > > Expensive coasters you're making there...sounds like cheap DVD-R's aren't
    > > all that cheap after all. If nothing else, thanks for providing a
    > > counter-example of what not to do. What brand are these, that we should
    > > avoid please?
    > >
    > > Dave Hinz
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > They are GVP. But, wait!! If I run Toast as root they seem to work
    > okay. There may be a permission problem somewhere! However, until I
    > burn more I won't really know.
    >
    > I have used Fuji and Verbatim with fine results. The jury is still out
    > on GVP. The price is great at a hair over $1/blank in quantities of
    > 100, but the price isn't so great if you end up wasting a lot of them.[/ref]

    I've had good luck with the CompUSA house-brand 1X DVD-R discs that they
    usually sell in 10-packs for about $10. The last packs I purchased there
    came with "slim" jewel cases. I've been burning them with iDVD 3, but I
    presume the results would be similar with Toast.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>