Professional Web Applications Themes

rsh remote to execute an applicaion - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi I need to remote rsh to a remote system and need to set multiple environments then execute the application, because the application require the environments. The environments setup is written in a shell script and also I need to set DISPLAY, in order to open the application windows. What should I do? I can rsh to remote system to execute a single application, but not multiple setup and executions. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default rsh remote to execute an applicaion

    Hi

    I need to remote rsh to a remote system and need to
    set multiple environments then execute the application, because the
    application require the environments. The environments setup is
    written in a shell script and also I need to set DISPLAY, in order
    to open the application windows.
    What should I do?

    I can rsh to remote system to execute a single application, but not
    multiple setup and executions.

    Thanks

    blackdog Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: rsh remote to execute an applicaion

    how about a 'env' command ?

    Regards.

    mnikhil@gmail.com Guest

  3. #3

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.admin.]
    On 29 Oct 2005 06:26:11 -0700, blackdog
    <com> wrote:
    Use ssh with X forwarding, unless the remote system is a prehistoric
    Unix without ssh and without a C compiler, or your pointy-headed boss
    doesn't allow it.

    --
    Fear and loathing, my man, fear and loathing.
    -- H.S. Thompson

  4. #4

    Bill Mar wrote:

    > Use ssh with X forwarding, unless the remote system is a prehistoric
    > Unix without ssh and without a C compiler, or your pointy-headed boss
    > doesn't allow it.
    >
    >[/ref]
    Bill.. but, I think using ssh with X-forwarding is not secure
    enough...please point me to the correct links ..if that is not true.

    Thanks,
    Nikhil
    Nikhil Guest

  5. #5

    Bill Mar wrote:

    > Use ssh with X forwarding, unless the remote system is a prehistoric
    > Unix without ssh and without a C compiler, or your pointy-headed boss
    > doesn't allow it.
    >
    >[/ref]

    but I guess SSH with X-forwarding is not good enough..in security terms.

    Thanks,
    Nikhil
    Nikhil Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:20:00 +0530, Nikhil
    <com> wrote:

    >> Use ssh with X forwarding, unless the remote system is a prehistoric
    >> Unix without ssh and without a C compiler, or your pointy-headed boss
    >> doesn't allow it.
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    > Bill.. but, I think using ssh with X-forwarding is not secure
    > enough...please point me to the correct links ..if that is not true.
    >[/ref]
    Why do you think ssh is not as secure as rsh?

    --
    Barth's Distinction:
    There are two types of people: those who divide people into two

  7. #7

    Nikhil <com> writes:
     [/ref][/ref]

    Write a shell script that sets the appropriate environment
    variables and then invokes the command you want. Invoke this script with
    'ssh -X hostname /path/to/script'.

    I can't think of a single way that ssh is less secure than rsh.

    - Tim Skirvin (org)
    --
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/ Skirv's Homepage <FISH>< <*>
    http://news.ks.uiuc.edu/ UIUC News Server

  8. #8

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:20:00 +0530, Nikhil <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    'r' commands transmit everything in the clear. X over ssh is as secure
    as every other ssh transaction, and is secure enough for financial
    transactions over the public internet.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:59:57 +0530, Nikhil <com> wrote:

    I know of no vulnerabilities, ever, involving X forwarding over ssh.

    Dave Guest

  10. #10

    In article <com>, Nikhil <com> wrote:

    > > Use ssh with X forwarding, unless the remote system is a prehistoric
    > > Unix without ssh and without a C compiler, or your pointy-headed boss
    > > doesn't allow it.
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > but I guess SSH with X-forwarding is not good enough..in security terms.[/ref]

    It doesn't seem like it could be less secure than unencrypted rsh
    combined with unencrypted X.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA