Professional Web Applications Themes

RTF definition? - Mac Applications & Software

I have a doent I got from a friend. It was, of course, a MS Word doent, but Nisus Writer Express opened it nicely. -- Except that it includes some embedded graphics, that appear to be stored as PNG files. When I view the doent in Draft mode (no columns, or pagination, it appears) I can see that at least some of the PNG files are too large for the screen. I'm trying to edit the rtf (in xemacs, of course) to make the images display smaller. To do that, I'm guessing at the RTF constructs -- for instance I ...

  1. #1

    Default RTF definition?

    I have a doent I got from a friend. It was, of course, a MS Word
    doent, but Nisus Writer Express opened it nicely. -- Except that it
    includes some embedded graphics, that appear to be stored as PNG files.

    When I view the doent in Draft mode (no columns, or pagination, it
    appears) I can see that at least some of the PNG files are too large
    for the screen. I'm trying to edit the rtf (in xemacs, of course) to
    make the images display smaller.

    To do that, I'm guessing at the RTF constructs -- for instance I presume
    that \picw1234 and \pich345 are the picture width and height,
    respectively. I'm further guessing they work like the WIDTH= and
    HEIGHT= attributes in an HTML IMG tag, so that changing them will cause
    the picture to display in a smaller window.

    So far, that's not been born out -- that is, I change them, but closing
    and reopening the doent doesn't seem to result in a changed size
    when viewing.

    So, I'm wondering if there's a spec for the RTF Apple is using that
    might be helpful, and, if so, where to find it.

    Also, anyone with experience doing something like that please feel free
    to give me a clue.

    I suppose I'd better also check the Nisus website and see what their
    user group mailing lists have to say...

    thanks,
    joe
    Joe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RTF definition?

    In article <client.attbi.com>, Joe Davison
    <com> wrote:

    Apple's is pretty much the "standard" RTF/RTFD definition used in
    TextEdit (OS X) and, before that, in the WriteNow version used in
    NeXTStep/OpenStep. The question before you is what variation is
    Microsoft using (you said that it was a Word doent)?

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, com.invalid wrote:

    > Apple's is pretty much the "standard" RTF/RTFD definition used in
    > TextEdit (OS X) and, before that, in the WriteNow version used in
    > NeXTStep/OpenStep. The question before you is what variation is
    > Microsoft using (you said that it was a Word doent)?[/ref]

    That may be so, but it's largely irrelevant to me, since NWE opened the
    ..doc file without needing to translate it. Nisus created the .rtf file,
    probably using the defaults that come built into Cocoa.

    So, let's assume it is, indeed, the "standard RTF/RTFD definition used in
    TextEdit, etc.

    That done, I'm back to the question I asked: is there a spec (seems
    like the answer is "yes"), and where might I find it?

    joe
    Joe Guest

  4. #4

    >> Apple's is pretty much the "standard" RTF/RTFD definition used in
    >> TextEdit (OS X) and, before that, in the WriteNow version used in
    >> NeXTStep/OpenStep. The question before you is what variation is
    >> Microsoft using (you said that it was a Word doent)?[/ref]
    >

    > That may be so, but it's largely irrelevant to me, since NWE opened the
    > .doc file without needing to translate it. Nisus created the .rtf file,
    > probably using the defaults that come built into Cocoa.
    >
    > So, let's assume it is, indeed, the "standard RTF/RTFD definition used in
    > TextEdit, etc.
    >
    > That done, I'm back to the question I asked: is there a spec (seems
    > like the answer is "yes"), and where might I find it?
    >[/ref]

    Gee... You know there is a site available on the Internet called
    "Google". You find it at http://www.google.com

    I know it sounds amazing, but if you type things in their search field
    (in your case "RTF Specification" works quite well) will give you all
    the information you could ever need....

    ;-)

    Jaco Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Jaco Schoonen wrote:

    > Gee... You know there is a site available on the Internet called
    > "Google". You find it at http://www.google.com
    >
    > I know it sounds amazing, but if you type things in their search
    > field (in your case "RTF Specification" works quite well) will give
    > you all the information you could ever need....
    >
    > ;-)[/ref]

    Wow! What will they think of next!

    I mean,

    Doh!