Professional Web Applications Themes

ruby advocacy - Ruby

one of the groups in our lab is looking into languages for a new project. they are considering python, ruby, perl, and a few others. aside from the obvious ones (pickaxe, ruby way, www.ruby-lang.org, etc) are there any convincing resources people would reccomend as useful for convincing project manager types that ruby is _the_ way to go? i've see quite a few slides and presentations over the years - but wonder which are most up to date and relevant, esp. ones people have personally found useful. thanks for any info. -a -- ATTN: please update your address books with address ...

  1. #1

    Default ruby advocacy

    --

    ATTN: please update your address books with address below!

    | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    | STP :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/
    | NGDC :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/
    | NESDIS :: http://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/
    | NOAA :: http://www.noaa.gov/
    | US DOC :: http://www.commerce.gov/
    |
    | The difference between art and science is that science is what we
    | understand well enough to explain to a computer.
    | Art is everything else.
    | -- Donald Knuth, "Discover"
    |
    | /bin/sh -c 'for l in ruby perl;do $l -e "print \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\"";done'

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ruby advocacy

    > ... are there any

    The best form of convincing is accomplished by applying each candidate
    language to the same small trial project to see which one best fits
    your needs, expectations, work philosophy and end-user abilities.
    Your lab group will accept the results far more readily if they have
    input into the selection process. Management approval is also far
    easier when your growing collection of testimonial-based assertions is
    supported with measured results that exactly match your group's
    localized needs.

    John
    John Guest

  3. #3

    Ara.T.Howard wrote:

    IIRC, one of the things that made Python hit the newstands big time was
    when it was 'acquired' by BeOpen and on their website they had a Success
    Stories with big names like Google, IBM, etc. and how they all use
    Python for biggish projects. The web page was kind of corporatish and
    formal and all that. After that, we began to see Linux Journal doing a
    cover + special edition on Python, magazine articles and interviews
    popping up everywhere, etc. Perhaps we can do the same for Ruby...

    --
    dave

    David Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: ruby advocacy (we need to write more articles)

    In article <6.isreserved.com>,
    David Garamond <6.isreserved.com> wrote:

    >IIRC, one of the things that made Python hit the newstands big time was
    >when it was 'acquired' by BeOpen and on their website they had a Success
    >Stories with big names like Google, IBM, etc. and how they all use
    >Python for biggish projects.[/ref]

    Kind of like this page?:
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RealWorldRuby

    I think at this point the magazine articles are ours for the writing.
    What I mean is if you can write a good article on a subject that somehow
    involves Ruby you can probably get it published somewhere (Dr. Dobb's,
    O'Reilly websites, IBM DeveloperWorks, Linux Journal, Software Developer).
    At this point there have probably been enough "Intro to Ruby" type articles,
    what we need are articles showing ways in which you've applied Ruby to
    solve some problem. The magazines aren't going to come to you begging you
    to write an article, you need to approach them.

    For example, I think that Rubyx is good for at least two articles in
    Linux [Journal|Magazine] (Hint, Hint!):
    1) Rubyx: a new source-based Linux distro (I'm sure you can think of a
    better title, but you get the idea)
    2) A new init system based on Ruby

    I think that perhaps a "What's new in Ruby 1.8.x" could also get published
    especially if it focuses on things like syck/YAML (and how Ruby is the
    first Language to support YAML 'out of the box').

    Come to think of it, perhaps an article on YAML would be in order - one
    that uses Ruby for it's examples. I don't think I've seen any YAML
    articles anywhere.

    Anybody embedded Ruby into a C or C++ program? I think an article on
    embedding Ruby would also be good.

    I'm sure there are lots of other Ruby-related articles out there waiting
    to be written. The more you get Ruby out there into the computing press,
    the more exposure it will get. I suspect that a lot of people here on the
    list are here because they read an article about Ruby somewhere - that's
    how I made it here to Ruby-land (Dave Thomas and Andy Hunt's article on
    Ruby in the Jan 2001 issue of Dr. Dobb's got me hooked). All you've got
    to do is give people a good reason to download and install Ruby on their
    system even if (or maybe especially if) it's just for fun.

    Phil
    Phil Guest