Professional Web Applications Themes

Ruby vs Python? - Ruby

Hi all, Could someone offer me a comparison between Ruby and Python? Me and one other person are thinking of starting a project and we haven't quite settled on a language. We're just discussing ideas right now. It's a project to make a cross-platform Installer Maker for Linux, Mac and Windows. We have pretty much narrowed it down to Ruby or Python. I think that we're leaning towards the wxWindows toolkit. Also, we are thinking of using Gentoo-style Ebuilds as the basis of the installer. Since wxPython is already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python, I guess that ...

  1. #1

    Default Ruby vs Python?

    Hi all,

    Could someone offer me a comparison between Ruby and Python?

    Me and one other person are thinking of starting a project and we haven't
    quite settled on a language. We're just discussing ideas right now. It's
    a project to make a cross-platform Installer Maker for Linux, Mac and
    Windows.

    We have pretty much narrowed it down to Ruby or Python. I think that
    we're leaning towards the wxWindows toolkit. Also, we are thinking of
    using Gentoo-style Ebuilds as the basis of the installer. Since wxPython
    is already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python, I guess
    that we are probably leaning towards Python.

    But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions first.

    Thanks all.
    --
    Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD. PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
    .-"~~~"-. Weekly Smile:

    Daniel Carrera Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ruby vs Python?

    Daniel Carrera wrote:

    > Could someone offer me a comparison between Ruby and Python?
    >
    > Me and one other person are thinking of starting a project and we haven't
    > quite settled on a language. We're just discussing ideas right now. It's
    > a project to make a cross-platform Installer Maker for Linux, Mac and
    > Windows.
    >
    > We have pretty much narrowed it down to Ruby or Python. I think that
    > we're leaning towards the wxWindows toolkit. Also, we are thinking of
    > using Gentoo-style Ebuilds as the basis of the installer. Since wxPython
    > is already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python, I guess
    > that we are probably leaning towards Python.
    >
    > But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions first.

    I don't think there's a meaningful comparison that would help you: the
    two languages are similar enough in terms of features that you should
    probably go with the one that makes you comfortable.

    In your place I'd go with Python.

    Dave

    Dave Thomas Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:18:42 +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:
    > Daniel Carrera wrote:

    8-<
    > I don't think there's a meaningful comparison that would help you: the
    > two languages are similar enough in terms of features that you should
    > probably go with the one that makes you comfortable.
    >
    > In your place I'd go with Python.
    >

    > Dave
    That's what I call a pragmatic programmer :-)

    finrod Guest

  4. #4

    Daniel Carrera graced us by uttering:
    > Could someone offer me a comparison between Ruby and Python?
    tim:/usr/bin>% diff ruby python
    Binary files ruby and python differ
    tim:/usr/bin>%

    I'm not sure a much more objective comparison than this exists. ;)
    > Me and one other person are thinking of starting a project and
    > we haven't quite settled on a language. [...] Since wxPython is
    > already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python,
    > I guess that we are probably leaning towards Python.
    So it seems.
    > But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions first.
    It appears you and your associate would be foolish not to use
    Python in this instance. Especially seeing as you have no
    language preference, and all the tools you plan to use are native
    or better developed in Python, your decision seems to have been
    made already.

    ....but you might have more fun doing it in Ruby... ;)

    Cheers,
    Tim Hammerquist
    --
    When in doubt, parenthesize. At the very least it will let some
    poor schmuck bounce on the % key in vi.

  5. #5

    Daniel Carrera (dcarreramath.umd.edu) wrote:
    > We have pretty much narrowed it down to Ruby or Python. I think that
    > we're leaning towards the wxWindows toolkit. Also, we are thinking of
    > using Gentoo-style Ebuilds as the basis of the installer. Since wxPython
    > is already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python, I guess
    > that we are probably leaning towards Python.
    >
    > But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions first.
    Have you considered AAP (Agide) project(s) written in (wx)Python?

    Sincerely,
    Gour

    --
    Gour
    [email]gourmail.inet.hr[/email]

    Gour Guest

  6. #6

    Gerard A.W. Vreeswijk wrote:
    > If you use Dave Thomas' one-click installer (VC++ build)...
    Never one to let a nit go unpicked, I would point out that it's Andy
    Hunt (you know, the *other* Pragmatic Programmer) who is primarily
    responsible for the Windows installer for Ruby ;)

    Lyle Johnson Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:16:27 -0500, Lyle Johnson <lyleknology.net> wrote:
    >Gerard A.W. Vreeswijk wrote:
    >
    >> If you use Dave Thomas' one-click installer (VC++ build)...
    >
    >Never one to let a nit go unpicked, I would point out that it's Andy
    >Hunt (you know, the *other* Pragmatic Programmer) who is primarily
    >responsible for the Windows installer for Ruby ;)

    How sloppish of me. My apologies to Dave and Andy. And, yes, I now know
    for sure it's Andy because I just downloaded his Windows Installer for
    Ruby 1.8.0 final :)

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:35:14 +0900, "jrh" <jrhtalis.com> wrote:
    >Thank you for finding the time to fit doing this into your busy schedule.
    >I'm sure I speak for many when I say without the one-click windows installer
    >I would never have got past first base with ruby.
    >Best wishes,
    >Jon Hawkesworth
    Second that.

    Gerard A.W. Vreeswijk Guest

  8. #8

    Gerard A.W. Vreeswijk wrote:
    > Oh, and don't forget to try out Lyle's FXRuby first ;-)
    Well, I thought that went without saying ;)

    Lyle Johnson Guest

  9. #9

    On Thursday, 18 September 2003 at 0:13:12 +0900, Lyle Johnson wrote:
    > Gerard A.W. Vreeswijk wrote:
    >
    > > If you use Dave Thomas' one-click installer (VC++ build)...
    >
    > Never one to let a nit go unpicked, I would point out that it's Andy
    > Hunt (you know, the *other* Pragmatic Programmer) who is primarily
    > responsible for the Windows installer for Ruby ;)

    Why are these old posts showing up?
    This one was on: Date: 2003-08-12 10:16:28 PST

    --
    Jim Freeze

    Jim Freeze Guest