Professional Web Applications Themes

Ruby Web Application Framework Roundup - Ruby

I'm trying to decide which Ruby web application framework to use (if any) for a new project. To that end, I'm looking for all Ruby web application frameworks that are out there. Following is what I have so far. Am I missing any major contenders? Has anyone actually used any of these on a full project? If so, what was your experience with it? (Flexibility? Ease of learning? Ease of use?) Name: Arrow URL: http://www.rubycrafters.com/projects/Arrow Status: Alpha Update: 2004-Jan-19 Server: Apache/mod_ruby Docs: In progress...not bad. Name: Mortar URL: http://fallingsnow.net/ruby/ Status: 0.9alpha Update: 2004-Jan-24 Server: WEBrick, cgi, or mod_ruby Docs: None ...

  1. #1

    Default Ruby Web Application Framework Roundup

    I'm trying to decide which Ruby web application framework to use (if
    any) for a new project. To that end, I'm looking for all Ruby web
    application frameworks that are out there. Following is what I have so far.

    Am I missing any major contenders?
    Has anyone actually used any of these on a full project? If so, what was
    your experience with it? (Flexibility? Ease of learning? Ease of use?)

    Name: Arrow
    Update: 2004-Jan-19
    Server: Apache/mod_ruby
    Docs: In progress...not bad.

    Name: Mortar
    Update: 2004-Jan-24
    Server: WEBrick, cgi, or mod_ruby
    Docs: None

    Name: Cerise
    Update: 2004-Jan-4
    Server: Self
    Docs: Piecemeal via links at http://cerise.rubyforge.org/

    Name: CGIKit
    Update: 2003-Apr-17
    Server: Self (?)
    Docs: Reasonable, but written by non-native-english speakers.

    Name: Borges
    Update: 2003-Jan-27
    Server: WEBrick (Apache + DRb 'soon')
    Docs: RDoc reference only...no doentation (that I could find)

    Name: radical
    Update: 2003-Sep-13
    Server: Self
    Docs: ? (server broken)

    Name: div
    Update: 2003-Feb-07
    Server: dRuby, WEBrick, cgi
    Docs: ? (japanese only)

    Name: Ruby Publishing Framework
    Update: 2002-Jan-31
    Server: Apache/mod_ruby
    Docs: ? (server gone)

    Name: Ruby Web Application Framework
    Update: 2001-May-30
    Server: ?
    Docs: Some (raw text only)

    Name: SBSM
    Update: 2003-Sep-23
    Server: ?
    Docs: ? (no?)

    Name: Wakaba
    Update: 2002-Sep-10
    Server: ?
    Docs: no
    Gavin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ruby Web Application Framework Roundup

    On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 11:49, Gavin Kistner wrote:

    Another one is here:

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/labyrinth/

    Haven't used it, just figured you'd want to include it...

    Yours,

    Tom

    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    il Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:45:15 GMT, Gavin Kistner <com>
    ha scritto::

    define application framework. Maybe amrita could fit in here?
    gabriele Guest

  4. #4

    gabriele renzi wrote:

    Damn...I was afraid someone would call my bluff :)

    OK, in all honesty, I'm not sure precisely what the term means. (Or
    perhaps it's (ab)used to mean multiple things.)

    My particular end goals for this upcoming project are:

    * A common set of features in the application core (e.g. calendar,
    message board, media library, various hierarchies of pages).

    * CMS for various pages and pieces. (User accounts, permissions on who
    can edit or create content, etc.)

    * For multiple clients buying into the package (all on the same host),
    the ability to skin the output uniquely per client. (I don't much care
    how this is accomplished; could be common XML + unique XSLT per client
    (merged on the server, not client), or perhaps some sort of template
    abstraction hierarchy.)

    I certainly don't expect anyone to have developed this dream
    applications as a free 'framework'. What I'm looking for is:

    * Something that may speed development time. (Perhaps handles CMS issues
    well, or makes common things like client+server side form validation
    trivial.)

    * Something that adds strong features. (Perhaps a template/caching
    system which improves performance by not hitting the database multiple
    times every time a page is requested.)

    * Something that is flexible. (I don't want to be constrained by the
    system as to what I can and cannot do with the end application.)

    It's rather vague, I know. This is partially due to secrecy concerns;
    partially because we're not far enough along in the project to know
    precisely what features we will be implementing; and partially because
    I've never used a web application framework before, and so don't what
    one offers.

    Clear? Confusing? Does that provide enough details to at least help you
    help me? :)

    --
    (-, /\ \/ / /\/
    Gavin Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Kirk,

    On mar, fév 03, 2004, Kirk Haines wrote:

    If this is a "quick" task for you, I'd love to have a look at your
    pre-alpha-undoented release.

    Or else i'll wait for your release... just like a kid waits for
    christmas :-)

    Good Luck,
    Pierre.
    --
    Pierre Baillet
    It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something

    Pierre Guest

  6. #6

    Kirk Haines wrote:

    Does Iowa use continuations like Seaside\Borges, then?

    --
    Chris
    http://clabs.org

    Chris Guest

  7. #7

    Gavin Kistner wrote:

    I've not built a production app with this, but I did extend the sushiNet
    example app (implemented the checkout cart, for example), to help with
    an unrelated web testing demo.

    It worked pretty well, but if one was to use it for a prod app, IMO:

    - be prepared to dive some into the Borges code to figure out some
    things and bug fix others
    - it's very memory intensive (that, or I'm doing something wrong).

    --
    Chris
    http://clabs.org

    Chris Guest

  8. #8

    Chris Morris wrote:

    > I've not built a production app with this, but I did extend the
    > sushiNet example app (implemented the checkout cart, for example), to
    > help with an unrelated web testing demo.
    >
    > It worked pretty well, but if one was to use it for a prod app, IMO:
    >
    > - be prepared to dive some into the Borges code to figure out some
    > things and bug fix others
    > - it's very memory intensive (that, or I'm doing something wrong).[/ref]

    I meant to add, on the upside it was easy to work with (when I wasn't
    spelunking into Borges) -- it's a cool concept and I'd be interested in
    working with it again, but the memory use issue would need to be
    addressed (or I just need some further education on it).

    --
    Chris
    http://clabs.org

    Chris Guest

  9. #9

    Gavin Kistner wrote:

    > Damn...I was afraid someone would call my bluff :)
    >
    > OK, in all honesty, I'm not sure precisely what the term means. (Or
    > perhaps it's (ab)used to mean multiple things.)
    >

    > My particular end goals for this upcoming project are:
    >
    > * A common set of features in the application core (e.g. calendar,
    > message board, media library, various hierarchies of pages).
    >
    > * CMS for various pages and pieces. (User accounts, permissions on who
    > can edit or create content, etc.)
    >
    > * For multiple clients buying into the package (all on the same host),
    > the ability to skin the output uniquely per client. (I don't much care
    > how this is accomplished; could be common XML + unique XSLT per client
    > (merged on the server, not client), or perhaps some sort of template
    > abstraction hierarchy.)
    >

    > I certainly don't expect anyone to have developed this dream
    > applications as a free 'framework'. What I'm looking for is:
    >
    > * Something that may speed development time. (Perhaps handles CMS
    > issues well, or makes common things like client+server side form
    > validation trivial.)
    >
    > * Something that adds strong features. (Perhaps a template/caching
    > system which improves performance by not hitting the database multiple
    > times every time a page is requested.)
    >
    > * Something that is flexible. (I don't want to be constrained by the
    > system as to what I can and cannot do with the end application.)
    >

    > It's rather vague, I know. This is partially due to secrecy concerns;
    > partially because we're not far enough along in the project to know
    > precisely what features we will be implementing; and partially because
    > I've never used a web application framework before, and so don't what
    > one offers.
    >

    > Clear? Confusing? Does that provide enough details to at least help
    > you help me? :)
    >
    > --
    > (-, /\ \/ / /\/
    >[/ref]
    You've pretty well described Zope.org. When you're done porting that to
    ruby, please send me a link to the code ;)

    paul Guest

  10. #10

    paul vudmaska wrote:

    Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Zope is pretty much the only reason I ever use any
    Python. There are a lot of things I don't try to do with Zope because
    I've never invested the learning effort into python like I have with ruby.

    Joel Guest

  11. #11

    Hello Gavin,

    GK> * Something that adds strong features. (Perhaps a template/caching
    GK> system which improves performance by not hitting the database multiple
    GK> times every time a page is requested.)

    Thats a common technical misunderstanding.
    Only very very few database queries can be hold in caches when this is
    done on a general level. This is why you still write applications !

    And from my experience i would skip all mod_ruby solutions and go with
    fast CGI and session affinity or a simple fast CGI external server if
    performance requirements are not so high.

    --
    Best regards,
    Lothar mailto:com

    Lothar Guest

  12. #12

    paul vudmaska <com> wrote in message news:<com>... [/ref]
    > You've pretty well described Zope.org. When you're done porting that to
    > ruby, please send me a link to the code ;)[/ref]

    you also described our Ruby Web Application Server (version 2 is
    codenamed 'Root') check out some examples (in greek, sorry):

    www.joy.gr
    www.pcmag.gr
    www.glamourmag.gr
    www.focusmag.gr

    it uses xml based server pages, xsl/css for skins, fragment/object
    caching, an object database system, plugable modules (cms, user pages,
    forum), and runs with mod_ruby or mod_fastcgi. It also allows realtime
    communication with flash clients using XmlSocket.

    the latest version has rather clean source code, so maybe we can
    release something pretty soon.

    regards,
    George Moschovitis
    George Guest

  13. #13

    il 3 Feb 2004 05:28:19 -0800, gr (George Moschovitis) ha
    scritto::

    finally !
    I hoped someone could point that out, I already did this in he past ;)

    could you refine your concept of 'pretty soon'?

    plus, you say 'release' and I read 'open source' in you web site. I
    wonder if you're going to let this product under some kind of OSI
    approved license or whatever.

    It would be incredibly cool to have a company like Zope corporation
    working on an open source app server.

    PS
    btw I just discovered http://www.rubycrafters.com/ and even that seem
    really cool, I wish best luck to all the ruby hackers out there
    gabriele Guest

  14. #14

    > could you refine your concept of 'pretty soon'?

    when we find time to write some simple docs, and a small example
    webapp in english. We have set a target for the end of March.

    We will release the source code for the server. Later we will probably
    release the framework as well.

    naaah, we are not that ambitious. But our product is really strong (though
    I am saying it myself)

    George Moschovitis
    Navel Ltd.
    George Guest

  15. #15

    ----"paul vudmaska" wrote:----

    This is essentially eruby.

    http://modruby.net

    --
    John Long
    http://wiseheartdesign.com

    John Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 12:10, Kirk Haines wrote:

    I know just the place for it!

    http://rubyforge.org/ :-)

    Tom

    Tom Guest