Professional Web Applications Themes

Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteers required - Ruby

Rubyx is almost ready to go public :) The servers are in place, domains acquired, howtos written... I would like to get some bootstrap testing done first though. What I need are volunteers who have 1) Broadband or better 2) A machine with a recent Redhat/Mandrake/Debian/Gentoo/Other distro and some spare Gbs to build a rubyx distro into 3) Some spare cpu cyles for an (overnight?) download and build cycle Thats it; I don't need you to test the distro itself (although you'd be welcome to try it), just test whether it will bootstrap itself from your current distro. It would ...

  1. #1

    Default Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteers required

    Rubyx is almost ready to go public :)
    The servers are in place, domains acquired, howtos written...

    I would like to get some bootstrap testing done first though.

    What I need are volunteers who have

    1) Broadband or better
    2) A machine with a recent Redhat/Mandrake/Debian/Gentoo/Other distro and some
    spare Gbs to build a rubyx distro into
    3) Some spare cpu cyles for an (overnight?) download and build cycle

    Thats it; I don't need you to test the distro itself (although you'd be
    welcome to try it), just test whether it will bootstrap itself from your
    current distro.

    It would take only a few minutes to download the script and start the test
    going, so wouldn't take much of your time. Some number of hours later, you
    can tell me whether or not it worked, and perhaps email me some logs if it
    failed.

    If you can help, email me and I'll send you some instructions.

    Thanks!

    Andrew Walrond

    PS
    Rubyx is a real simple to install/maintain distro which builds everything from
    source using a very simple script written in ruby. It has a ruby based init
    system, and supports a growing package library including the very latest
    Gnome, Kde, Linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x etc etc.

    It was originally developed to run the backend servers of a massive-
    multiplayer game (the development of which is my day job) but has somewhat
    grown over time to become a viable desktop os.

    Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    On Sunday 01 Feb 2004 10:25 pm, Zach Dennis wrote:

    Well the slashdot thing was for the ROS project, a much grander endeavour than
    rubyx, but perhaps not yet as well developed.

    But if you're not too disappointed, I could still use the testing :)

    Andrew Guest

  3. #3

    Andrew Walrond wrote:

    I can offer all of those, and I'd happily volunteer in testing it. Send
    some instructions and I'll try :)

    Kind regards,
    Dennis Oelkers
    --
    Dennis Oelkers | Webadministration | Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum
    TU-Berlin | EN-Gebaeude, K042 | Telefon: 030-314-25029

    Key Fingerprint:
    A6 7A B6 90 09 56 E8 32 02 40 6B 27 80 17 00 89 61 E7 CA 6F

    Dennis Guest

  4. #4

    1) Download and install a stable ruby snapshot newer than 2004-01-14
    (Rubyx hits some bugs in ruby 1.8.1 which have been fixed in recent stable
    snapshots)

    2) Register, download and install bitkeeper from
    http://www.bitmover.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi

    3) Clone a local copy of rubyx
    bk clone bk://bk.rubyx.org/rubyx
    cd rubyx
    bk -r co

    4) Make sure you have unrar installed and in your path. (All rubyx sources are
    maximally rar compressed to reduce download time. Its better even than bz2)

    5) Take a look around. rubyx is the main deal, init is the ruby init script
    and the package build instructions are in packages/.

    Now if you run './rubyx' you should see something like:

    Rubyx andrewatlas|rubyx|20040201205716|03969

    --rd/root-dir path
    --cf/configure group|package <attrib 'setting'> ...
    --in/install group|package ...
    --up/upgrade group|package ...
    --re/reinstall group|package ...
    --un/uninstall group|package ...
    --cl/clean

    --tp/target-processor <cpu>

    --bj/build-jobs <###>
    --mj/make-jobs <###>
    --sp/source-path path

    --rf/read-file filename
    --ef/expand-file filename

    --md/make-devices
    --nd/no-download
    --nb/no-build
    --nk/no-keep
    --io/include-options
    --rt/run-tests
    --di/distributed
    --sd/strip-debug
    --vb/verbose

    --qg/query-group <pattern>
    --qp/query-package <pattern>

    --cd/check-dependancies

    Now you'll need an empty partition (or just a directory if you like) to
    bootstrap rubyx into. 2Gb should be ample. Eg /my/rubyx/rootdir

    Next, pick a rubyx supported vanilla kernel (2.4.20-24, 2.6.0-1) and create
    a .config file for it (unpack the source then do make menuconfig). If you're
    already running a supported kernel, just take a copy of your current .config
    file. Eg linux-2.4.24.config

    Ok, we're almost ready to start the bootstrap. Here is the commandline; I've
    split it over several lines for clarity, but they should all be one line when
    you run it. You can also use the short options for brevity (see above)

    /rubyx
    --root-dir /my/rubyx/rootdir
    --configure linux version 2.4.24 config --read-file linux-2.4.20.config
    --target-processor pentium3
    --build-jobs 1
    --make-jobs 2
    --make-devices
    --install All

    The first line says where to bootstrap the distro.
    The second line chooses linux 2.4.24 and reads your .config file
    --target-processor selects a cpu. './rubyx --tp' will show you a list
    --build-jobs sets the maximum number of packages that will be built in
    parallel. 1 is good for a slow machine with limited ram. Increase to taste :)
    --make-jobs option selects the max number of make threads allowed on each
    package build (like doing make -j#). 2 is a good minimum.
    --make-devices will populate the /dev directory. You don't need to do this if
    you would be using devfs or udev
    --install All installs all available packages. Note the capital 'A' in All.
    individual packages start with lower case (eg samba). Groups start with a
    Capital (eg All Net, Disk, Server, Workstation, Development)

    Try it. You'll get an error with some instructions on howto setup a bitkeeper
    authority file. You'll only have to do this once

    Try it again. This time, all being well, a full blooded rubyx distro will
    begin to take shape. If not, well, thats why I wanted some testing :)

    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 07:55:46 +0900, Andrew Walrond wrote:

    > Well the slashdot thing was for the ROS project, a much grander endeavour than
    > rubyx, but perhaps not yet as well developed.[/ref]

    ROS is in the planning state.. ATM all my resources goes into the regexp
    engine. :-)

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Guest