Professional Web Applications Themes

Rulers and grids??? - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, I want to view my canvas in a way that I can tell, in inches how far from the edge of the canvas I have placed an item. For example, if I want to place a little red wagon exactly 1 inches from the edge, how can I do that precisely. I have rulers and grids turned on but I do not understand how I can measure in inches. Can someone guide me in the right direction? -- Thank You, Deb...

  1. #1

    Default Rulers and grids???

    --
    Thank You,

    Deb
    Deb Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rulers and grids???

    Hi Deb:

    Because FW is a web graphics application, and everything on the web is
    measured in Pixels, the rulers always measure in pixels.

    What you *could* do is edit the grid to be measured in widths/heights of 72
    pixels (assuming 72 pixels per inch as your resolution). Then you would know
    that at each intersection, you're at 1 inch.

    HTH

    --

    -

    "Deb" <net> wrote in message
    Hi, I want to view my canvas in a way that I can tell, in inches how far
    from the edge of the canvas I have placed an item. For example, if I want to
    place a little red wagon exactly 1 inches from the edge, how can I do that
    precisely. I have rulers and grids turned on but I do not understand how I
    can measure in inches. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

    --
    Thank You,

    Deb

    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    Jim,

    Got it! That is what I was looking for. I assumed that to be the case, I
    just could not figure out how to do it Thanks!.

    Deb

    "Jim Babbage - CMX" <ca> wrote in message
    72
    know

    Deb Guest

  4. #4

    You're Welcome, Deb! Good luck.

    :-)

    --

    -

  5. #5

    Jim,

    Based on what you said, if I have to do a print image with a resolution of
    300dpi does that mean I set the grid to 300 by 300 to get an inch at each
    intersection? I hope I am not being too stupid here.

    --
    Thank you,

    Deb

    "Jim Babbage - CMX" <ca> wrote in message

    Deb Guest

  6. #6

    HI Deb:

    You are not being stupid. One question I have though: Is this just something
    you wish to print out for yourself, on an inkjet printer? Or is the final
    goal for this image to be commercially printed? OK, I guess that was two
    questions.

    As for YOUR question, the short answer is yes.

    Keep in mind that there is also a difference between DPI and PPI. DPI=Dots
    Per Inch and is the Output Resolution, and is determined by the image
    setter, a half tone screen, the colour printer itself.

    PPI=Pixels Per Inch and is the image resolution, not the printing
    resolution.Typically, you will want twice as much image resolution when
    compared to print resolution. So, if you are *printing* at 300 DPI on good
    quality paper and such, your image resolution would be 600 PPI. That's the
    simple formula, and allows for some flexibility after the file has left your
    hands. Technically, if things are 100% accurate, your image resolution only
    needs to be around 1.3 - 1.5 x the print resolution. This saves file size
    and ripping time.

    I hope this helps, rather than confuses. Let me know if you need more info.

    :-)

    --

    -

    "Deb" <net> wrote in message

    > -- [/ref]
    want [/ref]
    that [/ref]

    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  7. #7

    It is for commercial printing. I created an image and the printer gave it
    back to me to have me change the location of a piece of clipart on the
    canvas because it was too close to the edge. I wanted to make sure I put the
    image exactly or as close as possible to 1 inch from the edge as possible.
    That is the purpose of the original question.

    Yes your feedback does help. I am still learning and REALLY appreciate the
    feedback.

    I would like to ask one more question. Is there a way to set the pixel size
    to 76 x 76 and make it the default. I do not want to change this each time I
    create something.

    Deb

    "Jim Babbage - CMX" <ca> wrote in message
    something
    your
    only
    info.
    -- [/ref]
    of [/ref]
    each
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref][/ref]
    far [/ref]
    > want [/ref]
    > that [/ref][/ref]
    how

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Deb Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Deb:

    I am not sure abut that. I will look into it and see what I can find. As a
    side note, I would caution you that Fireworks is not really designed to do
    print work. If it is working for you right now, that's great, but it is very
    limited for print applications, when compared to Photoshop, or Freehand.

    "Deb" <net> wrote in message
    the
    size

    > something [/ref]
    final [/ref]
    DPI=Dots [/ref]
    good [/ref]
    the
    > your
    > only [/ref]
    size
    > info.

    > -- [/ref][/ref]
    resolution [/ref]
    > each
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref]
    > far
    > > want [/ref][/ref]
    do [/ref]
    > how
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  9. #9

    OK, still looking into making it a defualt at start up, but int he meantime,
    you can create a very simple little FW command that will chagne the grid
    with a single mouse-click:

    Go to VIEW >GRID > EDIT GRID
    Change the grid settings to 76
    Press OK
    Now open the HISTORY Panel
    You'll see an action there called EDIT GRID
    You will also see a little disk icon in the bottom right corner of the
    panel. Click that icon. Yuo will be prompted to "SAVE COMMAND". Give the
    command a name, like - set grid - and press OK.
    Now, create a new FW doent.
    Click on the COMMANDS menu. At the bottom of the menu, you will see your
    newly created command.
    CLick on it, and the grid will be adjusted for your new doent.
    This command stays as part of the commands menu, even after you close the
    program.

    HTH

    --

    -

    "Deb" <net> wrote in message
    the
    size

    > something [/ref]
    final [/ref]
    DPI=Dots [/ref]
    good [/ref]
    the
    > your
    > only [/ref]
    size
    > info.

    > -- [/ref][/ref]
    resolution [/ref]
    > each
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref]
    > far
    > > want [/ref][/ref]
    do [/ref]
    > how
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  10. #10

    One addendum to these instructions. To start, you need to have a new or
    existing doent open in FW.

    "Jim Babbage - CMX" <ca> wrote in message
    meantime,
    -- [/ref]
    it
    > the [/ref]
    possible. [/ref]
    the
    > size [/ref]
    time
    > > something [/ref]
    > final [/ref][/ref]
    two [/ref]
    > DPI=Dots [/ref][/ref]
    when [/ref]
    > good [/ref]
    > the [/ref][/ref]
    left
    > > only [/ref]
    > size
    > > info.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref]
    > resolution
    > > each
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref][/ref]
    how [/ref][/ref]
    I [/ref]
    > do [/ref][/ref]
    understand [/ref][/ref]
    direction?

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  11. #11

    Yes, I know Fireworks is limited, but for the life of me I can't figure out
    Freehand. I can't tell where the canvas is and how to set its size etc. I
    gave up. Maybe I can find a class on it.

    Deb.

    "Jim Babbage - CMX" <ca> wrote in message
    very [/ref]
    it
    > the [/ref]
    possible. [/ref]
    the
    > size [/ref]
    time
    > > something [/ref]
    > final [/ref][/ref]
    two [/ref]
    > DPI=Dots [/ref][/ref]
    when [/ref]
    > good [/ref]
    > the [/ref][/ref]
    left
    > > only [/ref]
    > size
    > > info.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref]
    > resolution
    > > each
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref][/ref]
    how [/ref][/ref]
    I [/ref]
    > do [/ref][/ref]
    understand [/ref][/ref]
    direction?

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Deb Guest

  12. #12

    I completely understand - being an FH uber-novice myself. I just felt
    compelled to tell ya. ;-) If you are a reader (like I am), I am sure there
    are several good books on FH that could help you out.

    "Deb" <net> wrote in message
    out [/ref]
    a [/ref]
    do
    > very [/ref]
    > it [/ref][/ref]
    put [/ref]
    > possible. [/ref]
    > the
    > > size [/ref]
    > time
    > > final [/ref]
    > two
    > > DPI=Dots [/ref][/ref]
    image [/ref]
    > when [/ref][/ref]
    on [/ref][/ref]
    That's [/ref]
    > left [/ref][/ref]
    resolution [/ref][/ref]
    file [/ref][/ref]
    more
    > >[/ref]

    > > resolution [/ref][/ref]
    at
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref]
    > how [/ref][/ref]
    if [/ref][/ref]
    I [/ref]
    > understand [/ref]
    > direction?
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  13. #13

    Deb wrote:

    The FreeHand user manual is where you should start. It's quite complete
    and well written and does cover the basics like doent settings, etc

    There's also the obvious MM resources like the starter tutorials:

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/learning.html

    .... or the Devnet FreeHand section which has a few tutorials:

    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/freehand/

    The motherlode of FreeHand related sites is the FreeHand Source:

    http://www.freehandsource.com

    These should get you started :-)

    HTH!

    Stéphane Guest

  14. #14

    Yes Freehand isnt very similar to other paint programs but thats becuase its
    mainly directed at print production. You change the page settings by
    clicking the little page looking icon which allows you to drag the page
    around on the screen. Also in one of the pallettes theres a screen where you
    can change page size from A4, A3 etc. Buit youre right its not intuitive
    like Fireworks. I prefer Fireworks over Photoshop for most web layout tasks.
    Its extremely well designed. Photoshops getting pretty clumsy with loads of
    tools that do almost identical things spread all over the place. You can do
    almost anything on Photoshop but for setting out web pages, sorting
    graphics, etc Fireworks wins hands down.

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stutt
    Web Site Architect

    Email freeserve.co.uk
    Website http://www.nstutt.freeserve.co.uk/

    "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it."
    "Deb" <net> wrote in message
    out [/ref]
    a [/ref]
    do
    > very [/ref]
    > it [/ref][/ref]
    put [/ref]
    > possible. [/ref]
    > the
    > > size [/ref]
    > time
    > > final [/ref]
    > two
    > > DPI=Dots [/ref][/ref]
    image [/ref]
    > when [/ref][/ref]
    on [/ref][/ref]
    That's [/ref]
    > left [/ref][/ref]
    resolution [/ref][/ref]
    file [/ref][/ref]
    more
    > >[/ref]

    > > resolution [/ref][/ref]
    at
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/ref]
    > how [/ref][/ref]
    if [/ref][/ref]
    I [/ref]
    > understand [/ref]
    > direction?
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Nats Guest

  15. #15

    Stephanie,

    Thanks for the links, I will defiantly check them out!

    Deb

    "Stéphane Bergeron" <com> wrote in message
    news:bv993h$1bj$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    out [/ref]

    > The FreeHand user manual is where you should start. It's quite complete
    > and well written and does cover the basics like doent settings, etc
    >
    > There's also the obvious MM resources like the starter tutorials:
    >
    > http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/learning.html
    >
    > ... or the Devnet FreeHand section which has a few tutorials:
    >
    > http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/freehand/
    >
    > The motherlode of FreeHand related sites is the FreeHand Source:
    >
    > http://www.freehandsource.com
    >
    > These should get you started :-)
    >
    > HTH!
    >[/ref]