Professional Web Applications Themes

Runlevel 8? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I installed Slackware 8.0 (I know 9.0 is out, but I had 8.0 lying around and wanted Slack immediately) and all booted fine except it couldn't find my network card. Realizing I hadn't put my static IP settings in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1, I modified the file. That, to my recollection, is all I did. However, the machine now boots up, goes through rc.S (modprobe, random number generator) then I get (roughly): Entering runlevel: 8 usb device (vendor 0x854ac / 0xbf432) not used by any active driver INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel Then it just sits there. I'd hoped ...

  1. #1

    Default Runlevel 8?

    Hello,

    I installed Slackware 8.0 (I know 9.0 is out, but I had 8.0 lying
    around and wanted Slack immediately) and all booted fine except it
    couldn't find my network card.

    Realizing I hadn't put my static IP settings in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1,
    I modified the file. That, to my recollection, is all I did.
    However, the machine now boots up, goes through rc.S (modprobe, random
    number generator) then I get (roughly):

    Entering runlevel: 8
    usb device (vendor 0x854ac / 0xbf432) not used by any active driver
    INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

    Then it just sits there. I'd hoped it would time out, but 20+
    minutes later it was still chillin'.

    I put "echo" statements in rc.S so I am sure the error occurs after
    it leaves this file. This really just highlights my ignorance of the
    boot process. What file is run after rc.S?

    I couldn't find any doentation, references in /etc/rc.d/*
    scripts, or others complaining about the error, so I'm certainly at
    fault. I just want to know where to look to see what's awry.

    I even tried to make runlevel 8 a multi-user mode (would fire off
    rc.M), but that gave the same results.

    Please CC: me at schulzjf AT yahoo DOT com.

    Thanks in advance,
    John
    John Schulz Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Runlevel 8?

    On 25 Aug 2003 06:17:16 -0700, [email]schulzjf[/email] (John Schulz) wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    > I installed Slackware 8.0 (I know 9.0 is out, but I had 8.0 lying
    >around and wanted Slack immediately) and all booted fine except it
    >couldn't find my network card.
    >
    > Realizing I hadn't put my static IP settings in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1,
    >I modified the file. That, to my recollection, is all I did.
    >However, the machine now boots up, goes through rc.S (modprobe, random
    >number generator) then I get (roughly):
    >

    >Entering runlevel: 8
    >usb device (vendor 0x854ac / 0xbf432) not used by any active driver
    >INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
    Symptomatic of an improperly configured /etc/inittab, and what I would expect to
    see in vanilla Slackware when you use runlevel 8.
    > Then it just sits there. I'd hoped it would time out, but 20+
    >minutes later it was still chillin'.
    >
    > I put "echo" statements in rc.S so I am sure the error occurs after
    >it leaves this file. This really just highlights my ignorance of the
    >boot process. What file is run after rc.S?
    What ever is listed in /etc/inittab to run for the runlevel you've selected.

    The /etc/inittab file consists of lines of text, with each line indicating an
    independant action to be taken when changing runlevels. Each line consists of
    four components, seperated by colons. Take a look at the inittab(5)
    doentation ("man 5 inittab") for details.

    In your case, none of the lines contain runlevel 8 actions, and once the "S"
    actions are completed, your init process waits for something to do.
    > I couldn't find any doentation, references in /etc/rc.d/*
    >scripts, or others complaining about the error, so I'm certainly at
    >fault. I just want to know where to look to see what's awry.
    >
    > I even tried to make runlevel 8 a multi-user mode (would fire off
    >rc.M), but that gave the same results.
    FWIW, Slackware doesn't use runlevel 8 for anything, and the vanilla Slackware
    /etc/inittab isn't set up for runlevel 8. If you're booting into runlevel 8,
    then something is very wrong, either with your boot loader config or in your
    /etc/inittab.

    Please post /both/ your bootloader's setup file (probably /etc/lilo.conf) and
    your /etc/inittab file, and we'll look at it.

    --
    Lew Pitcher
    IT Consultant, Enterprise Technology Solutions

    Lew Pitcher Guest

  3. #3

    Turns out the issue was in lilo.conf. The label I chose for my Slack
    image was "Slackware\ 8". I wanted a space in label on the LILO boot
    screen, but instead I passed '8' as an argument.

    Made the label "Slackware_8" and everything booted as normal.

    Still having issues with the network card. Cannot add eth0 using
    ifconfig in rc.inet1, but I'm getting ready to read the
    [url]http://en.tldp.org/[/url] docs.

    thanks for the lurnun'.j
    John Schulz Guest

  4. #4

    John Schulz wrote:
    > Turns out the issue was in lilo.conf. The label I chose for my Slack
    > image was "Slackware\ 8". I wanted a space in label on the LILO boot
    > screen, but instead I passed '8' as an argument.
    I thought it sounded like a lilo config problem. Most users, even Slackware
    users, don't alter /etc/inittab, but do change /etc/lilo.conf to their liking.

    I'm glad you got it fixed.
    > Made the label "Slackware_8" and everything booted as normal.
    >
    > Still having issues with the network card. Cannot add eth0 using
    > ifconfig in rc.inet1, but I'm getting ready to read the
    > [url]http://en.tldp.org/[/url] docs.
    Sounds like your network card's driver might not be there. Did you run the
    Slackware 'netconfig' script? It tries to identify your NIC (creating an
    /etc/rc.d/rc.netdevice with the appropriate modprobe), and configure
    /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 for you. It usually gets the NIC right, but sometimes it
    goofs. You might also want to run the 'lspci' tool, look for your NIC, and
    enable the driver (/etc/rc.d/rc.modules) by hand.

    In any case, these are just guesses. If you post some details, perhaps we
    can help get your NIC up for you.

    > thanks for the lurnun'.j
    Your welcome. We're all learning here. ;-)

    Lew Pitcher Guest

  5. #5

    In article <6e9e55fa.0308260619.4e137d23posting.google.com >,
    John Schulz <schulzjf> wrote:
    | Turns out the issue was in lilo.conf. The label I chose for my Slack
    | image was "Slackware\ 8". I wanted a space in label on the LILO boot
    | screen, but instead I passed '8' as an argument.
    |
    | Made the label "Slackware_8" and everything booted as normal.
    |
    | Still having issues with the network card. Cannot add eth0 using
    | ifconfig in rc.inet1, but I'm getting ready to read the
    | [url]http://en.tldp.org/[/url] docs.

    You did load the module for your NIC hardware, didn't you? Take a look
    in rc,modules and be sure...

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsentmr.com> CTO, TMR Associates
    this we should do freely and generously.