Professional Web Applications Themes

running a Win program on Linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello Probably been asked before but haven't seen anything in this news froup I need to run a Delphi application for work purposes, this is the only program that stops me changing to Linux at work is their a way to run this exe on Linux, and any other Win programs that I have not thought of Thanks in advance for any info Please note that I am a newbie with Linux so please be clear in your answers Trevor...

  1. #1

    Default running a Win program on Linux

    Hello

    Probably been asked before but haven't seen anything in this news froup

    I need to run a Delphi application for work purposes, this is the only
    program that stops me changing to Linux at work

    is their a way to run this exe on Linux, and any other Win programs that I
    have not thought of

    Thanks in advance for any info

    Please note that I am a newbie with Linux so please be clear in your answers

    Trevor

    Shazbot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: running a Win program on Linux

    Shazbot wrote:
    yes, try `wine'. It runs Win32,Dos and win 3.* binaries on Linux.(I even
    played age of conquerors on Linux with Wine :-) But I really don't know
    whether it can run your Delphi applications or not. Give it a try.

    cheers,
    vAm

    vAm Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:46:05 +0100, "Shazbot" <fr> wrote:

    1) use "http://www.google.com/linux" as your search engine
    2) search for "wine" and then "vmware"
    ..
    Faith, n: That quality which enables us to believe what we
    know to be untrue.
    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    vAm wrote:

    > yes, try `wine'. It runs Win32,Dos and win 3.* binaries on Linux.(I even
    > played age of conquerors on Linux with Wine :-) But I really don't know
    > whether it can run your Delphi applications or not. Give it a try.
    >
    > cheers,
    > vAm[/ref]
    Hello again

    Have installed wien and Xwine

    Am unable to "see" and get programs to run

    My C disk under window is a SATA disk en NFS not fat

    Any help would helpful

    Have copied a program from my C disk to the Linux desktop and tried running
    this under wine but this bugs out the PC completly, black screen no access,
    have to reboot via the start button ....
    Trevor Guest

  5. #5

    Trevor BROOKES wrote:

    >>yes, try `wine'. It runs Win32,Dos and win 3.* binaries on Linux.(I even
    >>played age of conquerors on Linux with Wine :-) But I really don't know
    >>whether it can run your Delphi applications or not. Give it a try.
    >>
    >>cheers,
    >>vAm[/ref]
    >
    > Hello again
    >
    > Have installed wien and Xwine
    >
    > Am unable to "see" and get programs to run
    >
    > My C disk under window is a SATA disk en NFS not fat
    >
    > Any help would helpful
    >
    > Have copied a program from my C disk to the Linux desktop and tried running
    > this under wine but this bugs out the PC completly, black screen no access,
    > have to reboot via the start button ....[/ref]

    I understand that you installed Wine and winex. So, you get any error
    messages or just the system stops responding? It would be helpful if you
    can post the error messages and stuff.

    vAm

    vAm Guest

  6. #6

    vAm wrote:

    >> Hello again
    >>
    >> Have installed wien and Xwine
    >>
    >> Am unable to "see" and get programs to run
    >>
    >> My C disk under window is a SATA disk en NFS not fat
    >>
    >> Any help would helpful
    >>
    >> Have copied a program from my C disk to the Linux desktop and tried
    >> running this under wine but this bugs out the PC completly, black screen
    >> no access, have to reboot via the start button ....[/ref]
    >
    > I understand that you installed Wine and winex. So, you get any error
    > messages or just the system stops responding? It would be helpful if you
    > can post the error messages and stuff.
    >
    > vAm[/ref]
    Hi again

    I get for instance a error message 3581 when trying to run a program but
    this is not the only message

    I get also a black screen quite often and have to re boot by the on/off
    button as unable to get back to KDE

    do you know how to get around this black screen

    thanks

    Trevor Guest

  7. #7

    Trevor BROOKES wrote:

    CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE should restart the X server without a reboot.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/