Professional Web Applications Themes

Running NTDSUTIL in Directory Services Restore mode - should be connected or NOT connected to the network? - Windows Server

Gurus, I have been studying Windows Server 2003. Say you have an operations master which is off-line due to a lengthy hardware failure, such as the Schema Master, and you want to seize that role onto another DC. Two questions: 1) To seize the role, one needs to restart a DC in Directory Services Restore mode and run NTDSUTIL, correct? 2) And when one runs NTDSUTIL on the DC in Directory Services Restore mode, should the DC itself be connected or NOT connected to the network?...

  1. #1

    Default Running NTDSUTIL in Directory Services Restore mode - should be connected or NOT connected to the network?

    Gurus,

    I have been studying Windows Server 2003. Say you have an operations master
    which is off-line due to a lengthy hardware failure, such as the Schema
    Master, and you want to seize that role onto another DC. Two questions:

    1) To seize the role, one needs to restart a DC in Directory Services
    Restore mode and run NTDSUTIL, correct?
    2) And when one runs NTDSUTIL on the DC in Directory Services Restore mode,
    should the DC itself be connected or NOT connected to the network?

    Spin Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,

    There is no need to go to Directory Services Restore mode for this task. You
    also want to be on-line with DC. The DC on which you will perform operation
    master seizure will first try to transfer the role. Since it won't be able
    to contact DC that had this roles till now, it will seize them (one at the
    time as you put in the commands) and notify any other DC running in
    domain/forest.

    Mike

    "Spin" <Spinspin.com> wrote in message news:2kqs6lF5aaeuU1uni-berlin.de...
    > Gurus,
    >
    > I have been studying Windows Server 2003. Say you have an operations
    > master
    > which is off-line due to a lengthy hardware failure, such as the Schema
    > Master, and you want to seize that role onto another DC. Two questions:
    >
    > 1) To seize the role, one needs to restart a DC in Directory Services
    > Restore mode and run NTDSUTIL, correct?
    > 2) And when one runs NTDSUTIL on the DC in Directory Services Restore
    > mode,
    > should the DC itself be connected or NOT connected to the network?

    Miha Pihler Guest

  3. #3

    And I take it one does not need to use NTDSUTIL either, correct?

  4. #4

    Wrong again. I guess you will have to study harder ;-)

    Mike

  5. #5

    Yeah, you can use AD GUI utilities for that!!

  6. #6

    Yes, you are right, you can use GUI. Actually you have to use 3 different
    ones to transfer 5 roles. Personally I much rather use ntdsutil.

    Mike

  7. #7

    "Spin" <Spinspin.com> wrote in message news:2kqv7lF54k2iU1uni-berlin.de...
    > And I take it one does not need to use NTDSUTIL either, correct?

    Yes you do need to use the NTDSUTIL command it is this that allows you to
    seize the role.
    Have a look at al the parameters and options of the ntdsutil command. It has
    many uses such as management of the AD files, Operations Master management
    and also recover and authoritative restore options.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Spin" <Spinspin.com> wrote in message news:2kqv7lF54k2iU1uni-berlin.de...
    > And I take it one does not need to use NTDSUTIL either, correct?
    >
    > "Miha Pihler" <mihap-newsatlantis.si> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > There is no need to go to Directory Services Restore mode for this task.
    > You
    > > also want to be on-line with DC. The DC on which you will perform
    > operation
    > > master seizure will first try to transfer the role. Since it won't be
    able
    > > to contact DC that had this roles till now, it will seize them (one at
    the
    > > time as you put in the commands) and notify any other DC running in
    > > domain/forest.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > > "Spin" <Spinspin.com> wrote in message
    > > > Gurus,
    > > >
    > > > I have been studying Windows Server 2003. Say you have an operations
    > > > master
    > > > which is off-line due to a lengthy hardware failure, such as the
    Schema
    > > > Master, and you want to seize that role onto another DC. Two
    questions:

    > > > 1) To seize the role, one needs to restart a DC in Directory Services
    > > > Restore mode and run NTDSUTIL, correct?
    > > > 2) And when one runs NTDSUTIL on the DC in Directory Services Restore
    > > > mode,
    > > > should the DC itself be connected or NOT connected to the network?

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT] Guest